Manufature of military number plates

grumpygit1974

I am trying to get a set of military number plates made up for my army land rover to put on it when I go to shows. It appears that the DVLA have changed the rules for the manufacture of show plates. Dose any one know the rules relating to this and if I can indeed get a set made now and if I can get a set now made does any one know where I can get a set made up??

I recently read on one of the motorcycle forums that from the 1st September 2008 you will no longer be able to buy show plates . There was a supplier still apparently advertising them for sale in last months CMV but I think the ad has gone this month - maybe somebody told them about the £2500 fine . Can't see the problem provided , of course , that you don't 'forget' and go out onto the road with them still on.

All part of the anti-theft campaign I expect .

I've just had a rant about this in the newsletter and have convinced myself that it shouldn't matter. Whether that will work I don't yet know and hope I'm not still ranting when I try :)

IMHO this applies to V5 registration numbers and the Gubments efforts to stop them being made into silly styles and patterns etc by not only making their use illegal (no complaints there BTW) but by prosecuting anyone who actually supplies them.

As far as I can see, you can't present a V5 for the vehicle number you want as it doesn't exist on a V5. Lets say the number is 74 GG 30. You don't want a registration number, you just want a particular pair of letters and 2 pairs of numbers in pressed metal so you can use it to identify something. You can't commit an offence of making a number plate that doesn't conform because no DVLA issued number is being used.

For all they know it's how you identify your personal collection of horsebox trailers, you want it in metal as the horse has acquired a taste for acrylic. Just don't set the droid off with their rehearsed "you can't do it because... " scripts by telling them it's a registration number or a show plate. I can think of an example, say a vehicle is being given as a present,and it's brand spankers, sitting on the drive, big pink bow across the roof, and "Happy Birthday" is in place of the number plate for this occasion. Ask them where the offence is. In your case, you are 74, your initials are GG, and your waistline is 30, [you are most welcome :)]

All this legislation is bad enough but for some reason the Gubment wants to scare the living bejaysus out of the poor sods who try to earn a crust facilitating the ill conceived edicts. And wait until you are on the receiving end of one of them who has authority and powers to make you dance to their tune.

I'm sorry, don't know what came over me... And, relax..... Sorry Mods, delete this if it got political :)

Tell you what, even the dog has got up and gone and sat under the kitchen table, I must have been thumping this keyboard somewhat :)

<Snipped for brevity>'And wait until you are on the receiving end of one of them who has authority and powers to make you dance to their tune.

</Snipped>

Been there, done that, got the mental scars and the blood pressure pills to prove it. Now actively considering the contract on the <censored> in Gov't responsible for all this needless heartache!!!

I am trying to get a set of military number plates made up for my army land rover to put on it when I go to shows. It appears that the DVLA have changed the rules for the manufacture of show plates. Dose any one know the rules relating to this and if I can indeed get a set made now and if I can get a set now made does any one know where I can get a set made up??

Cut a piece of metal out to the right size, prime and spray it satin black, then go down your local motorfactors or have a look on the internet for white registration number stickers........hey presto, a very effective and original looking military number plate, for very little money.

Just made up a plate for my trailer with the above method, looks just the ticket.:)

Cut a piece of metal out to the right size, prime and spray it satin black,

Adam,

Most army vehicles in the 1950's had signwritten number plates. Then during the 80/90's period, the army workshops I was at, made replacement number plates, using the clear acrylic, black backing and white numerals.

I thought that these had been illegal for some years mainly due to the fact that they do not really reflect the `flash` given off by speed cameras for all those naughty speeders :nono::nono: :n00b:

That is the act of fitting and using them on the public highway not the actual manufacture or selling of these items.

Ashley

I thought that these had been illegal for some years mainly due to the fact that they do not really reflect the `flash` given off by speed cameras for all those naughty speeders :nono::nono: :n00b:

That is the act of fitting and using them on the public highway not the actual manufacture or selling of these items.

Ashley

You are correct.That and other reasons.

Sprint Signs in Horncastle made some without any objection, but they didn.t use a BS stamped plate as the starting point. therefore no question of legality...They are stamped out of Aluminium...

rushden2008010.jpg

They aren't exactly identical, but we like the look of them,

and yes our cats are all keen Scammellers!

Edited by antarmike

Well - if I've read this correctly the part that says:

Traditional plates for vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973

Vehicles constructed before 1.1.1973 may display traditional style “black and white”

plates i.e. white, silver or grey characters on a black plate.

covers our vehicles - yes????

Although I concede that calling a DVLA help line x number of times will result in x different answers...... :argh:

I go back to an earlier answer in a different thread. The Military VRN is not a civilian registration and is not covered by any of these rules. The regs apply only to civilian registrations.

You can put a military vehicle number on any vehicle you own, made in any style, colour etc, and it is okay, because a two number two letter two number grouping is not a registration as covered in this legislation.

here we go again.................

I am making some plates at the moment, the modern Civvy plate on one side, the back of the plate painted black with the Military VRN using white stickers, Im going to fit them with butterfly nuts, and reverse them when i get to a show. Means you can have your fully reflective modern plates for on the road, and entirely legal in every respect, and have the Military VRN, when you get to your show. job done.

What i dont like to see is the civvy plates made to look like a military VRN IE: 123 ABC, made to look like

3A

BC

Mainly because it is illegal, and secondly it just looks a bit siht!

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I supose as the rd traffic act now covers the rally field a lot of us with mil plates are comiting an offence,but to be honest who gives a----.

Silver letters on black background illegal if on a non historical vehicle, as for no.plates on a military veh. as Richard said, the numbers used to be painted on usually on the bumpers,on the Landy's, but I don't see the prob unless you are going to re-arange a normal index No. into a military style, otherwise, if you have a original army number for the said vehicle, paint the bugger on and hang your normal road plates over the top on the road!

I have " Illegal" plates on my car and my bike, they are in "Legal" spec, but technically ...Illegal, naughty aint I!!!

http://www.cheapestplates.co.uk

Give these a try!

Fred

• 3 months later...

The Framptons website says that as long as it cannot be mistaken for a UK registration they still can make "show plates".

Wether this applies to mil regs too you better ask them.

Just had the military registration plates for my 88" made, but I had them made for an Italian registered vehicle and shipped to Italy, therefore UK registration plates making rules didn't apply...

BTW if anyone asks why I had two rear plates made it is because the front wings have been butchered to "modernise" with "bug eye" main lamps. To cover the holes I have decided to put on the offside wing the bridge plate and on the nearside one the registration plate....

Andrea

DSCN0871resized.jpg[/img]

Edited by andreadavide
Dyslexic keyboard and terrible typing slikks