Building an MV from scratch

Great War truck

I think that the skeleton is still at Aberdeen (and no longer in the closet), I do hope it is in one of the buildings now as opposed to out in the weather.

I think that as the Grand Panjandrum was never used in anger it can not qualify as one to build from scratch. A mark V is a much better idea. Failing that an armoured Autocar body on an original chassis muight be a better idea. I saw an original running example with a horrible replica body on E Bay a while back for $14,000.

Tim (too)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it is a Crossley, 6 x 6, (Medium) Armoured Car built during the early 1930s. A number of these were supplied to Iraq.

The 6x4 Crossley armoured cars seem to have the door hinged at the rear, whereas the 4x2 Crossleys had them hinged at the front. So I don't think it is a 6x4.

Are those solid tyred wheels related? - They could be off a 4x2 version: looks like some singles and twins there.

I don't think the rear axle in the background belongs to it.

Guy 6x4 amoured cars had very similar bodies... looking at a few photographs they would appear to have the door hinged at the front... but there are some detail differences as well which makes me think it isn't off one of them.

Edited by Runflat

Just out of curiosity, whereabouts in Iraq?
Tim,

I don't know, the pics were sent to me by someone as I was looking for Sherman tanks in Iraq: http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=797

The Crossley was part of a group of AFVs including Sherman TRV, Daimler AC, and Indian Pattern Wheelded Armoured Carrier.

- Hanno

The 6x4 Crossley armoured cars seem to have the door hinged at the rear, whereas the 4x2 Crossleys had them hinged at the front. So I don't think it is a 6x4.

My guess is based on the similarities of the hull and the fact that the 6 x 6 was supplied to Iraq. I would love to be proven wrong, though.

I think Tim can handle the chassis work. But why is going to recreate the domed turret? Adrian?

- Hanno

Edited by mcspool

Agreed - it would be interesting to know more.

Looking at some more photos, I note that some of the 4x2 versions had side doors hinged at the rear; so presumably a development at some stage. But still not seen any 6x4 versions (they are four wheel drive, not six) with them hinged at the front.

• 2 months later...
Which country is this in? Then i can think about recovery.

All I know is that the picture was taken on a "Trip to Tripoli and Benghazi in Lybia, 12Mar2009" by a certain Paul (it seems he´s from Holland; who knows, he could be living down the street).

There´s another interesting AFV close to it, please bring it home for me when you go and fetch the A/C!

By the way, do you know what type of A/C it is?

- Hanno

P3140137.JPG

Edited by mcspool

I agree too on the Lancia.

The tank seems to be a carro d'assalto Fiat 3000, albeit with changes to the track system. Seems it was replaced by that off a crawler tractor at a more recent date. Could have been used as a crawler tractor, hence the loss of the turret and the glacis plate.

After entering service in 1921, this Renault FT-17 clone was first used in action in February 1926 in Libya. That could explain the presence of a survivor in that country.

Fascinating stuff still to be found out there, eh?

- Hanno

Edited by mcspool

• 2 months later...

Well someone has beaten me to it. I see that at Bovington this year is the debut of an A7V replica. There is a superb one in Germany, but this is a different one built in the UK by Bob Grundy. Has anybody seen it or know about it? I might have to go to Bovy after all just to see it.

Tim (too)

Ah that explains that. I found references MV magazine of M3 half tracks kept on a British base in Lybia in the 60's for use in the making of war films.

The tank museum guide mentions the A7V replica on page two of the guide:

http://www.tankmuseum.org/asset_arena/textual/de/bovtm_tankfest_2009_show_guide.pdf

Sadly not much info and no photos.