Fire Service Diamond T

Hi all.

A friend of mine sent me this picture of a Diamond T 980, as used by Mid Glamorgan Fire Service.

DiamondTWreckerfireservice.jpg

I was quite surprised as I didn't know the fire service used such vehicles. It is fitted with a Rolls Royce power unit. Must admit not knowing about Diamond T's so I don't know if this is original or not. I'm sure the T boys will be able to confirm or deny.

Markheliops

Hi all.

A friend of mine sent me this picture of a Diamond T 980, as used by Mid Glamorgan Fire Service.

I was quite surprised as I didn't know the fire service used such vehicles. It is fitted with a Rolls Royce power unit. Must admit not knowing about Diamond T's so I don't know if this is original or not. I'm sure the T boys will be able to confirm or deny.

Markheliops

Mark, many brigades ran medium/heavy recovery units, not just for their own use but to help out at incidents. The Glamorgan T was one, the huge Scammell S24 at Chelmsford was another, Bedford RLs and converted fire engines were also popular.

As Edd has said, the T is based on a WW2 980 6x4 ballast tractor for drawbar tank transport trailers and originally fitted with a Hercules diesel. Many but not all were converted to Rolls C6 diesels by REME and were in service up to the 70's. With it's twin boom recovery equipment and powerful winch, it would have been a useful bit of kit.

And someone said they were bored with running down the road with two tones and blues? Can you imagine the sight of that in the rear view mirror in full song? :cool2:

Even if full song is only 29mph. Even though the Rolls C6 was less powerful than the Hercules which it replaced you did get there a little faster!