Mystery Object No.85

fv1609

It's got two more missiles than an ordinary Humber would have had!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well four actually, there are two more inside.

I should have said, how does this differ from the normal in service Hornet?

The exhaust pipe is in the correct place for a production Hornet. The prototypes had rear exhaust as in Pigs. But the left side missile loader would tend to stand on the tail pipe & the two missile loaders could become engulfed in exhaust fumes. Moving the exhaust to the front required a circular silencer & a new belly plate that bulged down unlike the flat Pig belly plate.

Anyway the picture shows 2 features that are different from the active service Hornet & I'm afraid 3 features where I have tinkered with the image.

Anyway the picture shows 2 features that are different from the active service Hornet & I'm afraid 3 features where I have tinkered with the image.

Clive,

The reg number with BB does not look right for a Humber and the div sign, which is 3rd Infantry Div. appears to be upside down...........are these things you have been "tinkering" with?

Clive,

The reg number with BB does not look right for a Humber and the div sign, which is 3rd Infantry Div. appears to be upside down...........are these things you have been "tinkering" with?

I was going to query the 3 Div sign, since I served in a battlegroup of 3 ARMOURED Division from 1978. lol

Clive,

Yes BB is wrong, all British Humber 1-Tons were BK. Yes 3 Div sign is upside down. So that leaves one more 'tinker' to spot & two authentic non-standard irregularities.

So at the end of round one you have scored 2 points (deux pointes) out of a possible 5 points (cinq pointes).

Anyway I thought you were meant to be at work, even though it is Friday!

Yes BB is wrong, all British Humber 1-Tons were BK. Yes 3 Div sign is upside down. So that leaves one more 'tinker' to spot & two authentic non-standard irregularities.

So at the end of round one you have scored 2 points (deux pointes) out of a possible 5 points (cinq pointes).

Anyway I thought you were meant to be at work, even though it is Friday!

Front of wings does not look right, you appear to have blacked something out on both sides as well, bridge plate is normally higher,, is the horn normally on top of the wing? Only going on memory, not checked against yours.

As for the 3rd Div sign, during wartime it denoted Infantry Div. ( that is for Alien :-D)

and........I was working this morning........office work :tup::

Edited by Richard Farrant

It's donated according to what's in its OrBat. If it's configured as an Armoured Division, it's an Armoured Division. For a modern, non-IS role, it'll be an Armoured division.

You misunderstand.....when I refer to Wartime, I mean 1939 to 1945, sorry, that period is one of my main interests. So, that design of sign, was used by an Inf. Div. during that period.

:tup::

Front of wings does not look right, you appear to have blacked something out on both sides as well, bridge plate is normally higher,, is the horn normally on top of the wing? Only going on memory, not checked against yours.

Front wings do look odd but that is not of my making. Horn is low - but why? Bridge plate is correct. BTW the one in Bovington displaying '7' is wrong, not only was the Bridge Class never actually displayed in the service life of the Hornet but it's Bridge Class was '6' anyway.

Front wings do look odd but that is not of my making. Horn is low - but why? Bridge plate is correct. BTW the one in Bovington displaying '7' is wrong, not only was the Bridge Class never actually displayed in the service life of the Hornet but it's Bridge Class was '6' anyway.

I cannot think of anything else, will just have to be content with the 2 points, thank you, Clive.

I cannot think of anything else, will just have to be content with the 2 points, thank you, Clive.

You seem to be the only serious contender. I shall reveal all:

1.The black bits on the wings are holes awaiting fitment of the smoke dischargers.

2.The horn is too low only because the IR headlights have not yet been fitted.

3.I tinkered with the registration plate, there were no Humbers with that high a number. There were 3,700 British registered Humbers which ran from 00 BK 01 to 37 BK 00.

Anyway you won!

You misunderstand.....when I refer to Wartime, I mean 1939 to 1945, sorry, that period is one of my main interests. So, that design of sign, was used by an Inf. Div. during that period.

:tup::

TBF I don't know if 3 Div was even on the Army's OrBat at the time this vehicle was in service. (I cannot be bothered to go and read a history of 3 Div. There was a heavy tome available on the subject from 15/19H PRI in the late 70s / early 80s because, obviously, we were 3 Armd Div divisional troops but ISTR it cost a Trooper's month's wages.)

I have seen an OrBat for BAOR and I know it was forever being changed. Given that it was was reactivated in BAOR on 1 Jan 1978, the question of whether it was Infantry or Armoured during the lifetime of the Humber is entirely moot.

Of course if 3 Div was NOT active at the time, I claim the presence of a 3 Div sign (upside down or not) is another error.

Of course if 3 Div was NOT active at the time, I claim the presence of a 3 Div sign (upside down or not) is another error.

The Hornet was in service with Cyclops Sqn 2 RTR which was the Malkara trials unit. For this they became absorbed into 3 Div which was part of the Strategic Reserve.

So the markings are correct other than upside down 3 Div sign. That actually was bit of a sore point for me. This is not the vehicle I had, but when I restored 'mine' I carefully photoed all the markings & repainted them all closely following the photos so there were no errors. On the first show I met a chap who was actually a sign writer in 3 Div who reckoned he had painted several thousand such signs. He pointed out, very nicely, that my sign was upside down!

I had copied the photo, but had got the photo upside down as there were no reference points. The sign on the rear was ok as there was an edge for me to relate to. Dooh!