Bedford MW's in service gallery

rippo

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Hanno, would have to say, .......NO. As you say, pics have been published before and article is sparse, interesting if you are interested, I guess, but from my viewpoint, as an owner of one,not all that informative.

All the best,

Andy

Hi Hanno, would have to say, .......NO. As you say, pics have been published before and article is sparse, interesting if you are interested, I guess, but from my viewpoint, as an owner of one,not all that informative.

Andy,

Thanks, it saves spending money on information already at hand. I have Bart Vanderveen´s Kaleidoscope of Bedford and Vauxhall military vehicles, but other than that there does not seem to be much information on the Bedford MW available.

I have the Bedford Model MW Drivers Handbook which provides some information, but information about production changes, contract/WD Census numbers, is thin on the ground.

Next question: what is the Bedford MW content in Robert Coates' Bedford at War?

Thanks & regards,

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

I think that book is a compilation of his series of Bedford articles in earlier Classic Military Vehicles magazines.

Richard,

That is what I expected. Found the description following below on the internet. Seems the MW only gets "a look"?!?

Hanno

Description

This book, which is largely the work of long-time Bedford fan and keen historian, Robert Coates, has been compiled from articles which appeared in Classic Military Vehicle over four years.

The book tells the story of what was perhaps Britain’s only truly ‘classic’ military vehicle — the once-ubiquitous Bedford.

The story starts with the company’s Genesis, in 1931, to its effective Exodus, in 1986 and covers virtually every military product which the company produced. From the early vans and lorries of the ‘thirties, through the 0 series and the truly iconic MW and QL trucks of WW2, to the magnificent achievement of the Churchill infantry tank. Post-war military products included the still-born FV1 300 project, the RL workhorses — and the Green Goddesses, the MK/MJ, and the TM4-4 and 6-6 which serve to this day — not forgetting the Vauxhall staff cars of the early thirties.

In its 55-year life, Bedford supplied, literally, hundreds of thousands of vehicles both to the British armed forces and to many countries overseas.

After two valiant attempts at revival, Bedford finally succumbed to world market pressures in the late ‘eighties, but the company’s heyday slogan, ‘You see them everywhere’, remained true for many years: look at any old photos or film of the period, featuring military operations or civilian traffic and you are almost certain to see a Bedford.

Perhaps this book should be dedicated to the millions of people who have been involved in the design, building, ownership, operation, driving, maintenance, restoration, care and admiration of what must be the best known and most numerous of all British commercial vehicles — the Bedford!

Features:

The complete story of Bedford military vehicles

A22 Churchill

FV1300

Green Goddesses

Traclat

Civvy Conversions

Table of Contents

Was Bedford the Classic Military Vehicle of all time9

Pre-War Models — The models supplied directly to the War Department

Pneumonia Waggon — A look at the MW

Ubiquitous 3-tonner — A look at the Bedford Model OY

Model OX — The Bedford OX

Bedford’s QL

Bedford’s Fighting QL

Bedford’s QLC ‘Artic’

Bedford QL tankers and fire tenders

Bedford QLR

Unusual variants of the Bedford QL

Wartime Bedfords for civilian use

The birth of the RL

Bedford AL

Post War normal-control Bedfords

Bedford TK and M

Bedford MK and MJ

Bedford’s TM Four-Fours and Six-Sixes

Bedford and AWD

Bedford and Marshall SPV

Bedford Engines

Bedford ‘Heavy Vehicle A22’

Green Goddess

Bedford Round-Up 1: The Company’s output up to 1945

Bedford Round-Up 2: 1945 to the present day

Bedford AL conversions

Fire Goddess

The one that got away — Vauxhall’s 6x6 FV1 300 prototypes

‘Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics’ — 1: A detailed coda to Robert Coates’ Bedford series

‘Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics’ — 2

‘Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics’ — 3

‘Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics’ — 4

Traclat — a curious Anglo-German hybrid design

QL Tankers in Civvy Street

Great Danes — the Bedford RIs supplied to the Danish Army in the 50’s

Hello hanno,

Do you have British Light Military Trucks 1939-1945 By Mke Conniford? it has alot of intresting pictures. As for contract numbers, and wd numbers barts kaidascope is about the best referance i've found, but richard has a groucho publication which covers them better.

I have four different drivers handbooks for the mw, and i think there are others. I think it's also the same with the manuals. My manual has my contract number on the cover, so i guess the other manuals will have the contract numbers on them to. I guess everytime there was a change to the build, the manual was changed to.

But you need to know the contact number of your truck. I don't think, other than the rlc museum or finding it on the truck, there is any way of working it out from the chassis number. If you have the wd number then you can get the contract number.

It seem either records were poorly kept of have been lost and there is very little information about the bedfords. and the way they used what they had at the time dosen't make it any easier!!

Hanno,

I do not have any MW parts books, but if they are as good as the QL ones, any change in parts is noted with the chassis number it changed on, so you could work out when things altered, only problem is with Bedfords, that Census numbers do not often run in order of chassis numbers, in fact they are rather haphazard.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone read the January issue of CMV? It features an article on the Bedford MW. I´d like to know if it is worth buying this back issue. Just asking because some of the articles are 2 pages of well known info plus three pics.

Thanks,

Hanno

Hanno

I often peruse the magazine stand at the newsagents here . CMV is around $14 here ..thats around three times the price of it in the UK in terms of buying power. I rarely buy it as the articles on WW2 B range vehicles are generally very poorly written or researched. In some cases, we know a lot more than the authors do. The Morris PU article in one of the early numbers is a case in point and was full of errors and the author even claimed that they are 'common' with many of them around. With around 30-40 survivors known out of approx. 12,000 built .. now how did he work that one out !

The other problem is photos with incorrect captions , vehicles with the wrong ID ... you'd think they would know whats what. I normally stand at the newsagents and read it , then put it back !

Mike in Australia

Edited by goanna

Hanno

I often peruse the magazine stand at the newsagents here . CMV is around $14 here ..thats around three times the price of it in the UK in terms of buying power. I rarely buy it as the articles on WW2 B range vehicles are generally very poorly written or researched. In some cases, we know a lot more than the authors do. The Morris PU article in one of the early numbers is a case in point and was full of errors and the author even claimed that they are 'common' with many of them around. With around 30-40 survivors known out of approx. 12,000 built .. now how did he work that one out !

The other problem is photos with incorrect captions , vehicles with the wrong ID ... you'd think they would know whats what. I normally stand at the newsagents and read it , then put it back !

Mike in Australia

John Blackman, the current editor of CMV is a member of the Forum, maybe he'll be along to answer the points you've raised....

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

here is few pitures Bedford MWD from old black and white war movie

"Nebeští jestci" (Riders in the sky) Czechoslovak production 1968,

by novel history Czechoslovak RAF 311.bomber squadron and in this movie

is as "actor" Bedford MWD, have repaired body and cab and doors is (think) fro pre-war Czech truck.

I search more info but to this time donk know who was owner in 1968 year,

and dont know history this MWD.

regards

Tomas

Snímek 072.jpg

Snímek 071.jpg

Snímek 073.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
John Blackman, the current editor of CMV is a member of the Forum, maybe he'll be along to answer the points you've raised....

I gave up subscribing under the previous editorship, under the new leadership i bought a couple but now don't even browse it for a free read at Smith's.

TED

Western Desert After Axis Retreat

Date taken: November 1942

source

I didn't realise the Western Desert area had terrain which was quite as 'lush' as this. If it wasnt for the one palm tree in amongst all the others I would have thought it not the case. Interestingly the MW on the left has full screens, solid doors and the smaller sidelights so, for me (still learning), this open up all sorts of questions as to when the details were changed.