Wireless Set No 19

thedawnpatrol

The Mk2 set has two switches in the middle the left one top OFF underneth ON B The right hand one top A Only underneth ALL

the Mk3 has three switches marked left one top OFF underneth ON I/C middle top OFF underneth ON B right one top OFF underneth ON A

One could be a re-built set when the B set was disconnected as being obsolete in the post-war years. Have both sets got a tuning dial for the B set?

Also, a Mk3 19 set should have 2 x 12 pin connectors on the left side. A Mk2 has 1 x 6 pin connector and 1 x 12 pin connector.

19 sets were made in UK, USA and Canada. The Canadian models were better finished, and tended to have 'crackle' finish to the case. UK made ones tended to have just painted cases.

Some 19 sets were modified for ham radio use in the 1950s-1970s. Also some were modified for comercial use, for export.

If it's been made to work on 230 volt, it's be moded for ham radio use.

Have a look at the VMARS website, it has a load of info.

For my sins, one of my first jobs in REME was repair of WS19! And as someone has already said, the Canadian and american sets were well made, but the sets made by Pye/Philips were a mess. Over 250, 000 19 sets made. Most were built by people at home, as out workers for Pye etc.

In service from about 1936, and ended in TA service in about 1978.

19 sets were made in UK, USA and Canada. .

They were also built in Australia ..AWA made a batch of them in 1943 using locally made valves ... The AWA sets differ quite a lot from other variants ...the valve lineup is different . ... the connectors and ancillaries are the same however .

19 sets didn't reach the battle fields until at least 1941 ... before that the No. 11 set was issued to British armoured regiments . Pre-war, the No. 1 set was the mobile set and they fitted em into tiny Austin 7's.

The 19 set was really not a good radio .. it was barely adequate enough for the job . Its biggest downfall was that they crammed too much onto a single chassis ...in terms of maintenance ..it's a nightmare of a thing to work on. I've owned many of them and I dislike them a lot ! Look at the contemporary German tank radios of WW2 .. a master piece of design with clever sub-units that clip together for ease of repairs .. rolls royce versus a cheap nasty mass produced , badly designed waste of time .

Mike in Australia ..I'm a ham too

Jules

Nice truck you have there ... we only got the G.S. Wot2's here ..never seen or heard of one of those .

In some cases they improvised and used a standard 15 cwt GS truck, they rigged up the wireless set in a 'ad hoc' fashion. I've seen pics ( attached ) of what appears to be G.S. Morris CS8's with a radio set mounted in the back . Soldiers did improvise when the need arose.You could even use wooden planks as a radio table and get away with it .

I like the cute little Austin 7 . Dads army stuff.

Mike

Wireless CS8 UK.jpg

Edited by goanna

• 2 months later...

Hello.

My name is Luis, I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

This is my 1945 Jeep Willys MB, to be configured as British Airborne Jeep.

And this is the WS19 that installing on the jeep.

Both need complete restoration!

Cordiales saludos

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Julian

In the beginning the decision by the British setting,began that acquired a Godevil Engine that the block has the Casting numbers LV7/AWO http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121030 .

I think, British Heart…British Jeep!!!

The Rob Van Meel book is very helpful for my project.

Here in Argentina there are few spare parts.

Small parts buying on Ebay.

I already buy the horn button and Switch Lucas.

This year I hope to realize the purchase of the British Convoy Light. There is a gentleman named Pete Gaine having these parts.

Some parts of the WS19 buys in Holland!

I take a long time to complete the jeep.

So is this hobby!

Thanks for your interest in my project!

Regards

Luis

Hello Luis

Thats looks like a nice 19 set, well done, I think you did very well there.

I know Pete Gain, he is a nice chap, and always very friendly.

Good luck with your project, send in some photos as you go, as a jeep owner, (ford GPW)

it is always interesting to see how other people get on.

Best of luck

Julian.

• 10 months later...
Thanks chaps, I will take some photos of what I have.

What I really want is some photos/drawings of how all this equipment went in the WW2 15cwt Wireless truck.

I have the truck, & all the kit but not sure how/where it all goes?

Jules

Ah! There's a carefully-concealed Installation Print for 15cwt Truck & Ground station on the WS19 group files section.

This will probably solve your "how/where it all goes" problem, merely leaving you with the "simple" problem of accumulating all the mounting hardware(!).

You need File 1811 (which calls itself "WS19 Mk 1, Various diagrams" for some bizarre reason).

Hope this is some help,

Chris.

I found the Royal Signals Web site interesting...............but that 19 set group...........

seem to list some very nice reading material, but to try and down load it is near impossible !

They want alsorts of detailed info! to much like hard work!

Cheers

Jules

It's not that bad. Most of the hoop-jumping is because some little scrote was trying to download the entire archive, presumably to flog "collections" of manuals off on eBay and elsewhere. That's what introduced the "no webmal/free email accounts" and the "6 docs in any 14 days" limits.

We don't bite (much) unless Gnome Central is having a particularly bad day. 8-)>

Chris (Junior Password Gnome)

• 2 months later...
Any one know anything about he 19 sets?

I have two, both say W S 19 Mk3, but both are slightly different, one looks older with more switches & brass '19 set' plate, while the other is a lighter grey with fewer dials/swithes and a printed '19 set' .

Will take some photos soon.

Jules

Hi Jules

I am after a 19 set psu got one spare? If you did not get your diagrams email me me I will send you the about 18 I have.

WS19_cct_Arx..jpg

Hello.

My name is Luis, I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

This is my 1945 Jeep Willys MB, to be configured as British Airborne Jeep.

And this is the WS19 that installing on the jeep.

Both need complete restoration!

Cordiales saludos

Hi Luis,

The first set I trained on was a 19 Set in 1963 and in 1974 I took part in the annual Commemorative drop on Arnhem in 1974. Have you got an email address for Pete Gain?

• 11 months later...
I found the Royal Signals Web site interesting...............but that 19 set group...........

seem to list some very nice reading material, but to try and down load it is near impossible !

They want alsorts of detailed info! to much like hard work!

Cheers

Jules

Jules

use this link http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archive/files_index.htm

and you will get straight in no membership needed for 19 Set kit.

If you go to the royal signals mob 19 Set group you will be expected to join and then when you want to download some documents you will be expected to : Sit up and beg, Roll over and play dead, offer your paw and fetch the stick. If you don’t do it right and you get it wrong 3 times you are locked out, Customer service at its best !! Just because ONE person tried it on everybody is being punished as if they own the Copyright.

Personally I think the Gnomes have been sitting on a toad stools around the camp fire eating magic mushrooms and consequently are living in an enchanted world of their own oblivious to the real world, reminds me of my halcyon days in the sixties ………

Peter

Edited by pete-xrh