youngguns explorer blog

younggun

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:bow::bow::bow:thanks andy i owe u one i used to look at him at the local steam rallys when i was very young and wish he was mine .

well wot do u know that theory about scammells picking their owners is true :-D it was destiny

nick

Edited by younggun

Hi there

Popped my clutch of last night and my thrust bearing is a perfect fit on the tube bit. My scammell is a 1950 first contract (I think its the 83rd one built) so perhaps the design changed?

Don't suppose you could put a picture of where your axle oil cooler pipes connect to your engine as some silly sod disconnected mine cos the cooler froze up and popped apart.

Rob.

Hi there

Popped my clutch of last night and my thrust bearing is a perfect fit on the tube bit. My scammell is a 1950 first contract (I think its the 83rd one built) so perhaps the design changed?

Don't suppose you could put a picture of where your axle oil cooler pipes connect to your engine as some silly sod disconnected mine cos the cooler froze up and popped apart.

Rob.

u have got me worrying now rob :shake: mine is a loose fit on the tube but saying that is been like it since the diesel went in and its seems to have been fine. it works fine now, also u knowing more about clutches than me should i be worried ? mine is also an early one how early i dont yet know as the plate has been painted over but has the early civy dash .

these pics arnt brilliant will get better ones on sunday weather permiting .

481.jpg

478.jpg

Edited by younggun

Cheers for the pics. The plumbing on mine is shocking with pipes blanked off and random household fittings so don't be shy with the camera every picture can help someone.

I have put some pics of my clutch on my blog but none of the thrust bearing. i will try to get some up soon. When i saw the thrust bearing on the tube i thought it was siezed, it was tight. when i slackened the pressure plate (without using the packing shims) the bearing slid down the tube and scraped a load of goo as it went. the military may have changed the design due to problems. It says in the book not to refit main bearing dowls in the engine, so thigs get modifyed all the time

If it works fine and makes no nasty noises i shouldent worry.

You only press it to start and stop.:)

I'll have a goo look tomorrow and get some pics.

There is nothing in the repair manuals about checking clearance in the shaft/housing, and there is no replaceable bush. On this basis I don't suppose they were ever any problem (I believe the Matador clutch has a non-metallic bush but again no reference to wear checks in the manual). The Scammell has a greaser to prevent this housing from seizing on the shaft.

The whole assembly is held in place by retainers on the end of the clutch operating levers. It is designed to be a nice running fit to hold everything in place and in alignment - should a lever retainer come adfrift then with all that play it might run out of true and cause vibration?? If it works fine, I don't see it as a problem.:)

That's had a lot of grease!!!!! The housing has a seal at the clutch plate end and none at the rear - so that excess grease from the release bearing can escape at the rear onto the shaft to keep it lubricated. (I think - perhaps I'd better go and check again...might be talking scribble again)

The last pic shows the tube that the thrust bearing sits on. The output shaft sits in the spigot bearing one end and is supported with the bell housing bearing the other. So no contact between shaft and tube no lube needed. The tube is part of the clutch cover so spinns all the time, the fingers of the clutch cover also spin. so should only touch the bearing face in the same 4 places. I have'nt removed the thrust bearing (don't think i will bother as it works fine). I will also go and consult the explorer bible now.:readbook:

thanks for those pics rob confirming that my bearing has some play on the tube . there is only about 3-4mm of play on the tube but this is enough to worry me:shake: . i dont seem to be a sleav of something missing according to robs pics . so y is this ? or am i simply victim to someone elses bodge ? i dont want to have to take the clutch out again if i can help it :cry:

Edited by younggun

Lets not rule out the possability that my clutch has heen modifyed. It looks like there is a bronze bush between tube and bearing outer. Also we have only seen two clutches and could really do with seeing another one:undecided: ther must be someone who has a clutch out there we can look at.:-\ Also if you can take the inspection covers off the bell housing and get someone to press the clutch pedal while you shine a torch and look at the thrust bearing. Make sure it dosen't shimmy or flap about when depressed (or released or any other position for that matter) Try at various throttle settings too. Make sure it's square to the cover plate. If it all looks ok I shoulden't worry it may have been that way for years!

Was the bearing baggy when you took the clutch out? or have the clutch people made an arse of it.:???

Let me know how you get on. And if there is a problem don't panic it's only time effort. Sleeve the bearing or fit a new tube. true it up on a lathe.

Post a message on the explorer thread someone must have a clutch cover somewhere!

Regarding youngguns clutch

I have a double plated clutch in mine - when I fitted it, I did not worry about the tube for the thrust bearing. So a little bit of play between the thrust bearing and tube shouldn't be any trouble. Mine has been without the tube for eight years and other than rivet wear due to an old clutch I have had not problems with the thrust bearing. :-\

:tup::

thanks rob and thor i was just a little unsure about it at the time i re fited it i had nothing to compare it too so i just put it all back as i found it . when i got all the clutch back in i checked that the bearing was running out .ther is no vibration through the clutch pedal at all and all in the houseing seems to be square to the face . but i shall keep an eye on it just in case

nick

Edited by younggun

had another day out in gods workshop as some members put it . made a start on the electrics rewired the 2 front side lights and finished flushing the dif oils for the second time .

i have also developd an air system fault . air is leaking from the front palm coupling (the red line ) pressure will not build in eny other tank till i blank the line off but being that thers is now stop cock in that line ime led to belive that this is wrong as the couplling covers are ment to breath . i have noticed that thers is a non return valve in the line could this be the problem ?

some more pics also ( i hope they can help u rob )

IMG_5136.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5153.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg

Hi Nick ! You are one lucky S-D every new photo you show us of Floyd is how I want Daisy to look when she's FINISHED ! You better look after him as someone did before you , thats for sure ! Seriously though thats one nice lorry you have there mate ! Can't wait to see him in the metal ! Are you looking ahead to any particular shows yet ?