WW2 Billeting?

Vets Dottir

Hi Folks,

I wonder if there is a way to find out where and who a particular

soldier billeted with when in the UK prior to D-Day invasion???

Thanks.

I'd start by trying to get hold of his unit's war diary. From this I learned that a battalion of LI spent the weeks before D-Day encamped on Tot Hill on the northern outskirts of Southampton, which I pass every day. (If you travel the M27 westbound in the dark past Rownhams services, you'll see a red aircraft warning light on a hill just to the right of the motorway right after the services.)

My cousin gave me her late father's memorabilia when she knew I was doing a family tree (and because I, unlike her, cared about things military). Among his things, I found a history of his unit (25 Light Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment Royal Artillery) which proclaimed that they were billeted pre-D-Day in Hursley Park near Winchester, which coincidentally is where I am sat right now while I do lunch.

Thanks a lot for your research ideas AlienFTM :) .... I do have my Uncle Ed's service records that lists some general info about where he was and when. Wouldn't it rock to find out if he billeted with families at times and I found out who they were/are? Who knows, maybe a conversation and memories of him by someone "over there" could happen, and photos would be mindboggling unexpected treasures! One can always hope :)

By the way, Uncle Ed (my Mom's brother) had tried enlisted long before he was accepted in Dec '41 ... he had been rejected for "sugar" (diabetics in the family, so I assume diabetes was the concern) Another interesting note is that as soon as he enlisted he ended up in hospital for a couple of weeks for mumps!!! And contrary to what the Canadian War Graves site lists his age as 25, he was only 21 at death (born Sept. 17, 1922). I will be sending the Memorial folks the info proving his age and at least they can change that to 21, but I assume they can't/won't correct the error on his headstone in Beny-Sur-Mer.

I will check the war diaries but I don't think they would mention if he stayed with families or who they were, but if I post where in UK he was, then maybe someone could point me in the right direction to find out people he may have billeted with. It's worth a shot to ask and maybe I could get lucky :)

H 42084 Smith, Edward, Rifleman

1st Battalion, The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, C.I.C.

- 26 Dec 1941 - Attested - Military District No. 10 - Winnipeg, Man.

- 26 Dec 1941 - Taken on Strength of No. 10 District Depot (Active Force) - Royal Winnipeg Rifles Wing - Winnipeg, Man.

- 9 Jan 1942 - Attached to A 15 Infantry Advanced Training Centre (Rifle)

- 10 Jan 1942 - Taken on Strength of A 15 Infantry Advanced Training Centre (Rifle) - Shilo, Man.

- 20 Feb 1942 - Stricken off Strength of A 15 Infantry Advanced Training Centre (Rifle)

- 21 Feb 1942 - Taken on Strength of No. 10 District Depot (Active Force) - Cameron Highlanders of Canada Wing - Winnipeg, Man.

- 25 Feb 1942 - Transferred from the Cameron Highlanders of Canada Wing to Headquarters, No. 10 District Depot (Active Force) - Winnipeg, Man.

- 21 Apr 1942 - Stricken off Strength of No. 10 District Depot (Canadian Army) on transfer to No. 22 Canadian Army Educational (Basic) Training Centre - North Bay, Ont.

- 22 Apr 1942 - Taken on Strength of No. 22 Canadian Army Educational (Basic) Training Centre - North Bay, Ont.

- 20 Aug 1942 - Allocated to the Royal Winnipeg Rifles - No. 10 District Depot (Canadian Army)

- 25 Aug 1942 - Stricken off Strength of No. 22 Canadian Army Educational (Basic) Training Centre - North Bay, Ont

- 26 Aug 1942 - Taken on Strength of A 15 Canadian Infantry Training Centre - Shilo, Man. (and designated a 'Reinforcement')

- 2 Dec 1942 - Stricken off Strength of A 15 Canadian Infantry Training Centre - Shilo, Man.

- 13 Dec 1942 - Stricken off Strength of Canadian Army (Canada) - upon Embarkation

- 14 Dec 1942 - Taken on Strength of Canadian Army (Overseas) - as a Reinforcement for the Royal Winnipeg Rifles.

- 18 Dec 1942 - Disembarkation in United Kingdom

- 19 Dec 1942 - Taken on Strength of 3rd Canadian Divisional Infantry Reinforcement Unit - in UK

- 31 Jan 1943 - Stricken off Strength of 3rd Canadian Divisional Infantry Reinforcement Unit

- 1 Feb 1943 - Taken on Strength of 2nd Canadian Infantry Reinforcement Unit - in UK

- 24 Feb 1943 - Stricken off Strength of 2nd Canadian Infantry Reinforcement Unit

- 25 Feb 1943 - Taken on Strength of 2nd Greek Battalion - in UK

- 17 Mar 1943 - Taken on Strength of 2nd Canadian Infantry Reinforcement Unit - in UK

- 18 Mar 1943 - Stricken off Strength of 2nd Greek Battalion

- 27 Apr 1943 - Stricken off Strength of 2nd Canadian Infantry Reinforcement Unit

- 28 Apr 1943 - Taken on Strength of Royal Winnipeg Rifles - in UK

- 15 Jan 1944 - Awarded the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp

- 1 Jun 1944 - Embarkation - UK

- 6 Jun 1944 - Disembarkation - France

- 8 Jun 1944 - Reported Missing - Stricken off Strength of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles - France (later was declared as one of the Canadian executed POWS in Normandy)

- 9 Jun 1944 - Taken on Strength of X-6 List (Missing - RWR)

- 7 Jun 1945 - Stricken off Strength of X-6 List (Missing - RWR) - confirmed killed 8 June, 1944 - France

The CWWGC will sometimes alter head stones if a case can be made. there is a chance he may have ended up at or near Orpington. There is a lot of connections bettween here and Candaian military. The local hospital has the Canada Wing, a gift from the people of Canada as a thank you to the area for medical services rendered during both wars. The Britiah NHS tried to sell the site for housing a few years ago, much local dispute, finally settled by the Canadian goverment reminding the NHS just WHO owned the building. try contacting the National Army Musuem at Chelsea London. They have a number of Commonwealth war diaries.

Edited by Tony B

My cousin gave me her late father's memorabilia when she knew I was doing a family tree (and because I, unlike her, cared about things military). Among his things, I found a history of his unit (25 Light Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment Royal Artillery) which proclaimed that they were billeted pre-D-Day in Hursley Park near Winchester, which coincidentally is where I am sat right now while I do lunch.

That's a great story and I'm glad to hear that your cousin passed on her Dad's memorabilia to you, family historian ;) though I wonder if one day she will realize "I want it all back ... that's my Dad and it's precious!" :D

It's pretty interesting to be living/working where some of this history happened. Talk about a "full lunch" ;)

I watched a programme a few days ago describing the CWGChave an endless task like painting the Forth Road Bridge renweing the engraving on stones. I am sure there is a case.

Back on topic. As for billetting, the point I didn't make was that units lived in tented camps all over the south of England. I'd expect that this included all invasion troops and that only garrison troops were billeted out if required. Far easier to control Operational Security.

The CWWGC will sometimes alter head stones if a case can be made. there is a chance he may have ended up at or near Orpington. There is a lot of connections bettween here and Candaian military. The local hospital has the Canada Wing, a gift from the people of Canada as a thank you to the area for medical services rendered during both wars. The Britiah NHS tried to sell the site for housing a few years ago, much local dispute, finally settled by the Canadian goverment reminding the NHS just WHO owned the building. try contacting the National Army Musuem at Chelsea London. They have a number of Commonwealth war diaries.

Well, it certainly would be nice to see the proper age listed on his headstone. Maybe I will ask/enquire about the possibility of a correction there, as well.

The great news for me is that I recently acquired a scanner/copier/printer and can now scan service records info and email them to people ... like the age/death etc info to the Virtual Memorial site, etc.

Wow, I'm glad to hear that selling off that hospital to convert it, was averted before it was too late!!!

Uncle Ed's brother-inlaw, Phillip Genaille, also with the RWR, is also at rest in BSM ... he died of wounds received on D-Day, died June 6, 1944. Phillip was married to one of Ed's sisters, Anna (Aunty Annie to us) I didn't know whatever became of Aunty Annie's first husband until I started researching Uncle Ed, and came across his obituary/death notice and photo (I think) as having died on D-Day in Normandy. Wow. Aunty Annie and Phillip had one son, and son (named after his dad but nicknamed and called "Bobby" by everyone) and dad never met and I understand that Bobby always grieved about losing his Dad.

So many losses to so many families, its wonderful to "remember" the fallen as real people leaving real people behind, lives cut short, and having done amazing sacrifices for so many. Hard not to wonder what their lives, and families live, would have become "if only".

I wish all the fallen could know what their service and sacrifices stopped!

Edited by Vets Dottir

I watched a programme a few days ago describing the CWGChave an endless task like painting the Forth Road Bridge renweing the engraving on stones. I am sure there is a case.

Well, you've convinced me to pursue this and I will then!!! Thanks ;) I'll keep you all posted how this turns out ...

Back on topic. As for billetting, the point I didn't make was that units lived in tented camps all over the south of England. I'd expect that this included all invasion troops and that only garrison troops were billeted out if required. Far easier to control Operational Security.

Well THAT would make sense to me. No one has ever answered me directly about billeting, that I can recall ... but I don't know what you mean by "garrison troops" ;)

Uncle Ed was in the UK from Dec '42 so spent a year and a half over there before his death ... and it sounds like, from what you say, that I can assume that he was tented with others in training his whole time over there.

Hmmmm ... I feel my fantasies of billeting and personal stories/memories from people over there ... going pffffffffffffffft :D

For the record, here is the link for my Uncle Ed's rmemberance in the Canadian Virtual War Memorial site. I uploaded his photo, the only one I have from a newspaper clipping when he was listed as MIA ... I also uplaoded one of the photos of his headstone, but not sure who posted the other pages. I noticed some time ago that someone uploaded those pages to many of the executed POWS pages:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem/photos&casualty=2060243

And here for Phillip. Nothing uplaoded for Phillip. I will send the site a scan of the image I have (again from Wpg Free Press) and maybe they will accept it as is, as the only photo I have:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem/Detail&casualty=2059133

That's a great story and I'm glad to hear that your cousin passed on her Dad's memorabilia to you, family historian ;) though I wonder if one day she will realize "I want it all back ... that's my Dad and it's precious!" :D

It's pretty interesting to be living/working where some of this history happened. Talk about a "full lunch" ;)

Oh I didn't keep it. I gave it a damn good look and photographed and photocopied it. Her own son did his time in the Coldstream Guards and I am quite sure that her father's stuff will be passed on to her children when the time comes.

Well, you've convinced me to pursue this and I will then!!! Thanks ;) I'll keep you all posted how this turns out ...

Well THAT would make sense to me. No one has ever answered me directly about billeting, that I can recall ... but I don't know what you mean by "garrison troops" ;)

Uncle Ed was in the UK from Dec '42 so spent a year and a half over there before his death ... and it sounds like, from what you say, that I can assume that he was tented with others in training his whole time over there.

Hmmmm ... I feel my fantasies of billeting and personal stories/memories from people over there ... going pffffffffffffffft :D

Southampton was (and still is, just) a garrison town. Pre-war regular units would have barracks and bedspace for all, but come the war, the garrison would be increased to handle the demands of the war, saturating the available resources and leading to personnel being billeted out.

Invasion troops then arrive in 1944 and there is no capacity left to billet them ... even if the powers that be had wanted them to. Kept together in tented camps behind barbed wire and armed guards for their short time here was far more secure.

Oh I didn't keep it. I gave it a damn good look and photographed and photocopied it. Her own son did his time in the Coldstream Guards and I am quite sure that her father's stuff will be passed on to her children when the time comes.

Sounds like her son would definately care and want the memorabilia

kept intact in the family :)

I know a lot of people don't care much, and some not at all, about history and hanging onto things, but someone in a family usually does if people can (and would) ask relatives. I know I didn't care much when I was a whole lot younger, but I do now, and folks don't think about "maybe I'll care in future ;) )

Southampton was (and still is, just) a garrison town. Pre-war regular units would have barracks and bedspace for all, but come the war, the garrison would be increased to handle the demands of the war, saturating the available resources and leading to personnel being billeted out.

Invasion troops then arrive in 1944 and there is no capacity left to billet them ... even if the powers that be had wanted them to. Kept together in tented camps behind barbed wire and armed guards for their short time here was far more secure.

Thanks a lot for those helpful explanations AlienFTM. ;)