Trailers

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your wish is granted :), picture attached. My old memory has just kicked in and I seem to think that the Crusaders assigned to these trailers had extra hydraulic controls and outputs fitted, as I recollect, for the trailer.

Thanks Richard, Wishes do come true!:tup::

Just a guess, but did these trailers start off life being pulled by Scammell Constructor tractor units?

It is possible, I don't know when this trailer came into service, but the Crusader replaced the Constructors about 1976.

It is made by Cranes of Dereham, rather than Crane Fruehauf, which makes it much earlier than any Crusader. From memory the trailer army reg was 00BL19 or 00DL19. (I lost the picture I took of the plate!!)

It is made by Cranes of Dereham, rather than Crane Fruehauf, which makes it much earlier than any Crusader. From memory the trailer army reg was 00BL19 or 00DL19. (I lost the picture I took of the plate!!)

OK, more likely DL then which would make it around early Sixties. I think it is an adaption of the existing RE Plant trailer.

A little movie about our british MV collection:

shows 10TonTiltTrailer (TTT) with AEC Militant, Reme-Sankey w. LR109 and 2axle (24ton) lowloader w. Scammell Crusader.

A very interesting video, thanks Roland. It would be nice to see a few photographs of the AEC on the Militant thread sometime. Are you able to find spare parts, if needed, for the Militant in Germany ? So many were based there, are there any left in Germany in ex.military surplus yards ? Cheers.

A picture of a preserved Commer Q2.

I believe the owner has a trailer to go with it. It lives in North Cumbria

Brooky, thanks for posting the picture. That's a really pretty lorry but like the Bedford OXC it doesn't, to me, look man enough to tow a laden "Queen Mary" trailer. Imagine driving this Commer up a steep hill on a hot summers day with a QM and Lancaster Bomber fuselage section on the back.

Here's the same Commer type 'Q' tractor shown coupled to a Tasker Short High Loading trailer.

sc00466353.jpg

And, believe it or not...here coupled to a Tasker Long High Loading trailer.

sc0046635301.jpg

(What did you do in the war Dad ? "Oh, thinking up trailer discriptions down at the Tasker factory....it was hard work but someone had to do it")

Many thanks for sharing these, I believe one was a 20ft platform the other a 33ft. . For the vehicle modellers both versions are currently obtainable the 20ft from Wespe (often on E bay) the 33 ft from MMS.

6x6 could I ask a favour please, at thread 34 you posted extracts from the data book re the Commer and the Crossley tractors do you have the second page of text for them please ??

On Pathe there are 3 items on the Coronation review in 1953 of the RAF, if you go to Pathe home page; click advanced search, on the new screen enter in Film ID 106 then scroll down to Film 106-11 change the viewing setting to 1 frame per second then look at frame 332 where you will see the X ray trailer, at Frame 338 is a fire fighting training classroom trailer.

I have refrained from posting due to the huge copyright sticker on each !!

regards TED

Blimey Ted, I didn't realize anyone was actually looking at any of this stuff.

I'll post the data sheets you have requested later this evening. I'm only posting this picture below very briefly and will delete it in about an hours time.

sc0051f695.jpg

You must be kidding its keeping me awake at night dreaming about it !!

HAVE you looked in the RAF MT drivers web site some great stuff . compulsory really !! you can see the thumbnails, but you have to subscribe it about £10 to see it in full. AS an enthusiast I am sure the site owner Ian Scales will welcome your membership. Les is a member .

Have a look at that Pathe site some good stuff on there. In addition to my Gipsy and WW2 trailer pump I have about 500 models, NFS, post 1948 AFS and RAF softskins are my pet subject I suppose after 39 years in the RAF the latter is compulsory.

regards TED

regards TED

You must be kidding its keeping me awake at night dreaming about it !!

regards TED

regards TED

Hi Ted, it's only the copyright issue. I don't mind infringing so called Crown Copyright but because this picture is the work of a living artist ...... anyway it looks wonderful on your post. I'm still trying to get these data sheets in order and will post in the next few hours. Many thanks for your website suggestions, I'll be following them up. Now these data sheets.....

http://www.raf-lichfield.co.uk/No%202%20M.T%20Gallery.htm