Trailers

Were the Queen Mary trailers ever built as or converted to anything else? Internally this one looked to have a fairly professional conversion, and since it still lives in the corner of a ww2 bomber station, I suspect it's never had a civilian owner?

Chris

Some while ago a came across what, if I remember rightly, was an aviation forum where the QM you illustrate in your post was discussed. I seem to think it was said there were two such trailers at the same site and a few 'photos of the interior had been posted. If I can find the website again I'll post a link on here.

In answer to your enquiry "were the QM trailers ever built or converted to anything else ?" here's a Mass Radiography unit built on the 3 ton version of Tasker Queen Mary.

sc0006cb8e.jpg

Front view.

sc0006cb8e01.jpg

Rear View.

sc0006cb8e02.jpg

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lancaster "T for Tilly" being dismantled after crash landing in 1943.

sc0006f695.jpg

N/S (!) wing being loaded onto a Queen Mary.

sc000721ad.jpg

The entire aircraft being transported by a convoy of Queen Mary trailers drawn by a Bedford OXC in the foreground and Commer Q2's following.

sc00072f80.jpg

Being repaired at it's home aerodrome.

sc00074619.jpg

Back in service.

sc0007591d.jpg

Wow gents, excellent pics of the Queen Mary trailer! One of the most typical trailers, maybe even typical British, that "Baily bridge on wheels"!

Here in Holland there's one on the show circuit, carrying a Harvard fuselage. Tractive unit is a long-nosed Commer (Q2?).

Cheers,

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

I understand the official nomenclature was "Semi-Trailer, 5 Ton, Long Low Loading".

So they came in two weight classes (3 and 5 ton)? It looks like the 3 ton version was a shortened 5 ton trailer? That´s what it looks like in the pictures.

Were they built by any other manufacturers than Tasker?

Thanks,

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

Tractive unit is a long-nosed Commer (Q2?).

Cheers,

Hanno

The three tractor units most closely associated with the Tasker "Queen Mary" trailer during WW11 were these.

sc0009e4c4.jpg

sc0007e27e.jpg

sc000ce82d.jpg

sc0007a6ce.jpg

sc000b4864.jpg

See Catweasle's post No.21 on this thread for a photograph of this type of Bedford.

I understand the official nomenclature was "Semi-Trailer, 5 Ton, Long Low Loading".

So they came in two weight classes (3 and 5 ton)? It looks like the 3 ton version was a shortened 5 ton trailer? That´s what it looks like in the pictures.

Thanks,

Hanno

The 3 ton was the original, the 5 ton was slightly longer the main recognition point is behind the wheels . The X ray unit had quite a lot removed from behind the wheels.

Only Tasker made them during WW2. I believe the current manufacturer is KING ?/

The Bedford and Commer were the original tractors, the Crossley plus a later model Crossley and a later bonneted Commer were introduced to cope with the 5 ton trailer. But it is apparent all tractors were used with both size trailers.

This is a great thread thanks for everyone for sharing.

regards TED

Thanks,

Hanno

Should have said the nomenclature was Semi -trailer low platform 3 or 5 ton 2 wheel.

A semi trailer 5 ton long low loading is the type that normally has removeable rear bogies and is then lowered to the floor to facilitate loading etc.

regards TED

Should have said the nomenclature was Semi -trailer low platform 3 or 5 ton 2 wheel.

A semi trailer 5 ton long low loading is the type that normally has removeable rear bogies and is then lowered to the floor to facilitate loading etc.

regards TED

Hanno apologies you were correct semi trailer 3 or 5 ton long low loader is correct the nomenclature was revised post WW2 to become low platform Sorry

TED

Hanno apologies you were correct semi trailer 3 or 5 ton long low loader is correct the nomenclature was revised post WW2 to become low platform Sorry

TED

This refers to "supporting aircraft main planes in transit" and "well type body" so I think we can assume it is a description of the "Queen Mary" type. The length of this 3 ton trailer is given as 40' which is the same length as the 5 ton version. (?) I always understood the 3 tonner was a bit shorter. And it is, just remembered the 5 ton QM has a body length of 40' ....45' overall. (I think).

sc001123ad.jpg

PS. Lot of the stuff I'm currently posting is still 'Restricted' so don't go flashing it around down at your local Tescos.

Edited by 6 X 6

It is as you say a bridge launching trailer, which would have been used with a Scammell Crusader ( looks like one attached to trailer in your photo). It was used to carry and deploy a No.9 bridge which is of one piece and maximum span of 12.2 metres. It would be used directly over an existing low classifiction bridge. The other version of this bridge is the no.8 which is folding and was carried and deployed on a Cheiftain AVLB.

Thanks for the info Richard, it is indeed attached to a Scammell Crusader. I hope someone posts a picture of the loaded outfit as it was seen in service. It must have been quite a sight!

I hope someone posts a picture of the loaded outfit as it was seen in service. It must have been quite a sight!

Your wish is granted :), picture attached. My old memory has just kicked in and I seem to think that the Crusaders assigned to these trailers had extra hydraulic controls and outputs fitted, as I recollect, for the trailer.

bridge.jpg

Yes, that's the one. I was there trying to salvage a hangar which had been blown down, with a view to using the bits to build a shed to keep our vehicles in. In the end the hangar fell apart, and what was left blew into another field, so it never worked out!