Fordson WOT2

thedawnpatrol

Hi Chaps

I have just aquired a nice WOT2H Wireless truck, pictures to follow.

I really could do with some help on the following points:-

1. It is not registered, nor ever has been, I can not find a chassis number, would this be on a plate somewhere? what/where am I looking for?

2. She doesnt run very well, runs with full choke, makes a strange sucking noise, so sucking in a lot of air even with choke out, when I push choke in, sucking stops but so does engine? today I took off the fuel pump, to clean and check, it was mucky with flakes, I wondered if there was fuel starvation? will refit it tomorrow and see.

May be the carb, am I right in thinking that the Solex sucks in air through the side of the carb as well as the Air Filter?

Although it has a wireless back body and the guy who I got it from had collected all the kit

we are not sure how it goes, ie tables, operators chair wireless set up?

Any one any photos of the inside of a 15cwt Wireless truck.

Thats all I can think of at the moment! sure there will be more from this rooky owner!

Jules

1. It is not registered, nor ever has been, I can not find a chassis number, would this be on a plate somewhere? what/where am I looking for?

Chassis number is stamped on the chassis rail, right hand side, just below the passenger door. It wll start and end with a star. It's not stamped very clearly, and could easily be hidden by layers of paint.

2. She doesnt run very well, runs with full choke, makes a strange sucking noise, so sucking in a lot of air even with choke out, when I push choke in, sucking stops but so does engine? today I took off the fuel pump, to clean and check, it was mucky with flakes, I wondered if there was fuel starvation? will refit it tomorrow and see.

May be the carb, am I right in thinking that the Solex sucks in air through the side of the carb as well as the Air Filter?

Sucking noise is normal for a WOT2 with the choke out. Both my Ford V8 vehicles do this.

It is my suggestion that the engine stopping/poor running is due to the distributor needing setting up (I have found that 90% of poor running on a Ford V8 is due to distributor problems). You need to get someone with the right setting up tool to do this for you - don't try any other way or you Will get work. Also you must replace the condensor with a Lucas type DCB121C. Fit Champion 7 plugs (from Green spark plug Company).

3. Although it has a wireless back body and the guy who I got it from had collected all the kit we are not sure how it goes, ie tables, operators chair wireless set up?

Any one any photos of the inside of a 15cwt Wireless truck.

If it is the house type, you don't have a wireless truck, but a light warning truck. These were only supplied to the Royal Artillery as office type vehicles, and contained the Officer, maps, table, Field telephone and maybe a WS 17. The house body was built by Morris and supplied to Ford.

I have sent you a PM.

Was the wireless truck a GS body with canvas tilt?

Thanks,

Hanno

I can find no record of Ford making a wireless truck with a canvas tilt on the WOT2 chassis, but I have heard of wartime modifications in the field where a wireless body is fitted from a Morris or Bedford onto a WOT2 chassis and cab. The Wireless Light Warning was a Royal Artillery vehicle, and would have used a WS 17, not a 19 set.

I can find no record of Ford making a wireless truck with a canvas tilt on the WOT2 chassis, but I have heard of wartime modifications in the field where a wireless body is fitted from a Morris or Bedford onto a WOT2 chassis and cab. The Wireless Light Warning was a Royal Artillery vehicle, and would have used a WS 17, not a 19 set.

I know of a WOT2 in Kent (or was) with a 15cwt wooden body and canvas tilt and it is a FFW. Body similar set up to MWR wireless truck. Now looking at it, the body data plate appeared to have a post-1945 contract number on it, so it is entirely possible that the WOT2 was rebuilt as FFW after the war, but in how many numbers? A lot of rebodying was done due to Korea, etc.

I know of a WOT2 in Kent (or was) with a 15cwt wooden body and canvas tilt and it is a FFW. Body similar set up to MWR wireless truck. Now looking at it, the body data plate appeared to have a post-1945 contract number on it, so it is entirely possible that the WOT2 was rebuilt as FFW after the war, but in how many numbers? A lot of rebodying was done due to Korea, etc.

I know the truck you mean, and I believe that this was a modification by the Army by using a spare radio body and a GS version of a WOT2.

WOT2 production ceased at the end of WW2 in 1945, and I know that a few WOT2 vehicles were supplied by Ford as just chassis/cab but I do not know production numbers.

Thinking about the WOT2, I know that a penthouse version was made as I have seen IWM photos, and that a contract was placed for a WOT2 to have an AA gun on the back, but I have never found an example of either. Would be nice to track something down.

Thinking about the WOT2, I know that a penthouse version was made as I have seen IWM photos, and that a contract was placed for a WOT2 to have an AA gun on the back, but I have never found an example of either. Would be nice to track something down.

Have been looking through some info and it would seem that the penthouse version was very similar to the GS version except that the canvas body was higher and the canvas was a special design to allow a tent to be erected on either side. The size of the tents on either side were 6'10" long, 6'6" wide and 6' 3" high. It seems its official name was Truck 15cwt 4x2 Office Ford WOT2H.It would also appear that the spare wheel was mounted on the tail board (as Bedford MWR)

Thanks for all your thoughts, here, I hope are a couple of photos of her, although I am not happy as she is a pig to start! not really used to the choke/start system, when she is going and warm...........lovely, but just will not start on the button no mater how far I push the choke or press the gas pedel!

Any advise, perhaps I shoud get a new carb?

Anyway hope the pictures work.

Jules

Image007.jpg

Image035.jpg

Before getting expensive on the starting. Check all the electrical contacts on batteries, switches starter motor etc. Unless they are spotless and tight the power drop can be enourmous and the engine dosen't crank properly. Also what state are the spark plugs and the rest of the ignition system, timing like. Also worth checking fuel delivery system. If she is running fine warm, then can't be a lot wrong.

Thanks for all your thoughts, here, I hope are a couple of photos of her, although I am not happy as she is a pig to start! not really used to the choke/start system, when she is going and warm...........lovely, but just will not start on the button no mater how far I push the choke or press the gas pedel!

Any advise, perhaps I shoud get a new carb?

Hi Jules,

I see the body was built by Morris Commercial, from the Contract plate. From what I can see of the Contract No., it does not match up with any Morris Comm vehicle contacts, so may well have been made specifically for the WOT2 ( Austin built bodies for Bedfords, so not unlikely).

Re. your starting problem, the "choke", which Solex call a starter, is on the side of the carb, if correct carb is fitted, it is two stage and if correct cable is fitted, the knob has to be twisted slightly after first pull, and pulled further to get the full choke. I have found some engines require max. choke, then once fired, return to half choke. The control cable catches people out with the second stage.

Thanks Tony, Yes done the obvious, even put new plugs in today! had to use some quick start yesterday, that got her going, but kept stopping. new plugs in to day and away she went happy as larry......................but tried her again 2 hours later and nothing, just did not want to fire. i have a sneeking thought that it is fuel starvation, have over hauled pump, no problem there, i think it must be the carb.

jules