Eager Beaver record Cards

antarmike

Question

Has anyone any ideas. I wrote to RLC museum deepcut, to find the record card for my Eager Beaver. After some time they wrote back saying they did not hold any record cards for the APFLT. They said RE Museum, Chatham held the cards. I wrote to RE Museum and it has taken them six months to come back saying they don't hold any record cards for Eager Bearvers, but they have some general technical information on the model.

If RLC and RE Museums dont hold any record cards for any of the Eager Beaver Fork lift trucks, who else might?

• Answers 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Richard, Although I never saw it I am fairly confident it would have gone up the Andover's ramp

Fire extinguisher no problem they were never removed, similar pressurised hand held extinguishers were and still are positioned in holds of transport aircraft . I will have to see the hieght clearance for an Andover ramp obviosly not as greart as a Herc but never the less a useful plane; on such items batteries were the main worry . It was norm to reduce the electrolyte level , fuel down to one quarter full. I shudder to think how many certificates I have signed over the years to say a vehicle or item of ground support equipment has been prepped I.A.W. the air transport regs !!

TED

Richard, Although I never saw it I am fairly confident it would have gone up the Andover's ramp

Fire extinguisher no problem they were never removed, similar pressurised hand held extinguishers were and still are positioned in holds of transport aircraft . I will have to see the hieght clearance for an Andover ramp obviosly not as greart as a Herc but never the less a useful plane; on such items batteries were the main worry .

Hi Ted,

I cannot recollect the mounting position of the fire ext., but think it might be alongside the seat, and as the hyd. control levers are removed, also, this might be why it is off the vehicle.

Were batteries to be sealed in plastic whilst in air transit? This reminds be of an instance when I prepared a Land Rover 1/2 ton for NI, with VPK, it was a rush job, I saw that the battery was sealed in heavy plastic, so cut it away from the top, so that it could breath, got told off later, as it had been prepared for air despatch. :???

Richard spot on really thick useful plastic bags double wrapped. battery lead ends also double bagged and taped. the individual filler /breather plags had a rubber extension piece pulled onto them of course these were nicknamed Johnies ; but no good for mis appropriation as they had a small hole in the tip as the batteries still had to breath. Later we had special DRYCLAD bags for batteries a mini version of the dehumidified bags all the war reserve kit was stored in, in Germany. Happy days; Of course vehicles. plant GSE that was required to be immediately driven off the ramp came under different rules.

TED

im starting to believe various lamps were used at various times, possibly some even sourced locally.

Stand by for the definitive answer!:yay: :yay: :yay:

I've been rummaging through my FAESPs & found 2420-J-203-711 which is the IPC. The part you need is:

8ERM/6220-99-730-8789

Working light, swivel type.

Part No. 700-10600 = JCB

Part No. 901.0612 = PA Thorpe of Skipton

Fitted with:

Lamp, filament clear 24v 70w

So if you need any other part numbers let me know.

The part you need is:

8ERM/6220-99-730-8789

Working light, swivel type.

Part No. 700-10600 = JCB

Part No. 901.0612 = PA Thorpe of Skipton

Clive,

I recognise that lamp in your photo, some E/Beavers had that type, they were Butlers ploughing / work lamps as used on tractors. That NSN group should be 8REBM/ I think, as that would be correct for a JCB part. I would say this is a supercession possibly. P.A. Thorpe of Skipton are suppliers of components for agriculture machinery.

Mike,

Butler lamps for tractors are hard to find now, but pattern ones are available, take a look at this one;

www.cornishtractors.co.uk/displayStockItem.php?stockid=148

That NSN group should be 8REBM/ I think, as that would be correct for a JCB part.

I looked at the DMC & couldn't see what it corresponded to, but thats what it said on the fiche. I looked at 8REBM but that said Bamford Excavators, so is that what what JCB is/was once?

Your linked picture looks spot on.

eagerBeaverandicrane002.jpg

eagerBeaverandicrane003.jpg

Eager Beaver has just had an early Christmass prssy. One spanking brand new Danfoss orbitrol power steering control valve.

Lucky forktruck, its pressy is far more expensive than the ones I am likely to get!!!

Edited by antarmike
spelling

Somewhat different, and it has squashed the pedal box with the fork carraige, as the mast has been folded back, so presumably the microswitches and interlocking that are supposed to prevent this weren't fitted on this early version.

Also has fabricated, not forged fork tines.

Edited by antarmike

Somewhat different, and it has squashed the pedal box with the fork carraige, as the mast has been folded back, so presumably the microswitches and interlocking that are supposed to prevent this weren't fitted on this early version.

Mike,

Decimating the pedal box was such a common problem, that stocks of new boxes were soon exhausted. A tech or mod instruction was issued to fabricate them out of stock steel. I cannot recollect if the restriction clamps on the tilt ram were a mod, but suspect so.

I'm pretty sure that isn't one of the Lucas SLR type lamps, looks to me like one of the tractor ploughing type lamps. Can't be certain but I think they had a name/logo in the centre of the glass which I think is what is showing on the photo.