Wartime Advertising

Brooky

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I was going to put that one up next....beat me...

spooky.never heard of the company might be interesting if we all tried to find out more about them so it doessnt just become a picture gallery,also any of the other firms.good hunting.:idea:

spooky.never heard of the company might be interesting if we all tried to find out more about them so it doessnt just become a picture gallery,also any of the other firms.good hunting.:idea:

They built the Gnat trainers the RAF used post war. (including the Dead Sparrows aircaft below)

redsconc.jpg

The Bristol Siddeley (Hawker Siddeley) name is also associated with the Gnat and the whole ides of the Gnat was its simplicity so that it could be licence build by countries not possesing advanced engineering facilities,

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/gnat/history.html

Edited by antarmike

waradvertising0013-1.jpg

I am at the moment puzzled by the 1914 date in the advert. From what I have gleaned so far these seems implausibly early for the company.

British Marine Aircraft Ltd was formed in February 1936 to produce Sikorsky S-42-A flying boats under licence in the UK. The company built a factory on the western side of the Hamble peninsular with a slipway to Southampton Water. The Sikorsky deal came to naught, however, and the company was sold to Henry P. Folland , formerly Chief designer for Gloster Aircraft Company, who renamed it Folland Aircraft Limited on December 24, 1937. Folland began aircraft assembly at Hamble making parts for Bristol Blenheim and Beaufort bombers. Folland later took on sub-contract work making parts for de Havilland Mosquitos and Vickers Wellingtons.

The first aircraft of its own design to fly was the Folland Fo.108 in 1940. Designed and built to meet the Air Ministry specification 43/47 for a flying engine testbed it was generally known as the 43/47 or by the nickname "Folland Frightful" from its unusual appearance.

W. E. W. Petter, who designed the Westland Lysander, English Electric Canberra and English Electric Lightning, joined the company as managing director in 1950. He designed the Folland Midge, which first flew August 11, 1954, and the Folland Gnat training jet (July 18, 1955). Both were built at Hamble until the 1960s. In 1959 Folland was acquired by Hawker Siddeley who dropped the Folland name in 1963. Ultimately, Folland became part of British Aerospace (BAe). Although Hamble airfield closed in 1986, BAe continued to use the premises there for the production of major assemblies for Harrier and Hawk jets.

According to another source... Folland bought up the British Marine Aircraft Limited, which was formed in February 1926 to manufacture Sikorsky S-42-A flying boats. Take your pick of the contradictory dates!!

First flight date of the Sikorsky S-42 is 1934, so 1926 date seems erroneous!!

Edited by antarmike

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Well done mike great stuff.

Korect instruments seem to be in france call thereself KDG-HOUDEC-KORECT DEPH GAUGE.The local croydon paper published a picture of staff outside the Croydon factory recently asking if any one recognised thereselves.

Thats a bit of propaganda advertising from Westlands :-D ...........A Lysander knocking out a 109 in a dogfight

(next thing someone will say it actually happened :))

Maybe not so farfetched.

The Dutch used in 1940 planes with fixed undercarriage.

They could outturn a 109 and actually shot some down.

If I remember correctly the Lysander had a K gun at the rear and a fixed Vickers firing forward. the original was supposed to a light bomber (mainly 'cause it couldn't carry many bombs) then an Army Co-Operation aircraft. the idea of it as a night runner was an afterthought. I seem to rember from a soft cover thick book on the Battle of Britiain, published somewhere about 1968 a story of a lysander shooting down an enemy aircraft, but I think it was a ME110. does anyone have or remeber the book? Very well illustrated.

• 2 months later...

I've been going to post this for ages, but kept forgetting. Scanned from a wartime picture post in two sections in the Phillipines, emailed home, and with a bit of trial and error stitched together again.

Main reason was to give a copy to a friend who has the real thing, but a great ad anyway!

Jules

long tom4.jpg

• 1 month later...