What's the oldest bit of kit still in British Military service?

LarryH57

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

As far as I know gthe longest used gear would be a ship which came into british service courtesy of being captured at trafalgar, and was used there after...

Latterly she was a coal hulk during ww1, and a barracks during ww2, she was sadly sunken by your RN in the late forties/early fifties I believe.

However I cannot now remember her name.

The stern decoration has been kept at a naval museum I believe, as has her statue thingy at the front ( sorry brain freeze):???

As far as I know gthe longest used gear would be a ship which came into british service courtesy of being captured at trafalgar, and was used there after...

Latterly she was a coal hulk during ww1, and a barracks during ww2, she was sadly sunken by your RN in the late forties/early fifties I believe.

However I cannot now remember her name.

The stern decoration has been kept at a naval museum I believe, as has her statue thingy at the front ( sorry brain freeze):???

The Duguay-Trouin, which became HMS Implacable and scuttled in 1949, the stern decoration is in the atrium behind the entrance and the National Maritime Museum in Grenwich. I have also seen a few bits displayed on HMS Unicorn in Dundee, and no doubt there are other bits around. Although the Duguay-Trouin/Implacable still spent much less time in HM service than the Victory (launched in 1765 and still in service - see earlier contributions to this thread).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
:saluting:HMS Sultan steam lorry.

Still causing traffic jams since 1930.

Alan.:)

Alan,

The Navy have only had the Sentinel since 1960.

Back around 1984 I was at a rally at REME Borden and the Sultan steam wagon arrived late in the evening, they suggested we should all jump in and head for the nearest pub. The sight of the all black and grimy crew entering the bar and response from the landlord was classic.

Hi Richard, yes they may have only had it since 1960, but it is still the navys, and probably the oldest working (most of the time) bit of kit.

PS i have been on the crew for about 23 years and we have cleared out loads of pubs!!!!:cool2:

Alan.

Hi Richard, yes they may have only had it since 1960, but it is still the navys, and probably the oldest working (most of the time) bit of kit.

PS i have been on the crew for about 23 years and we have cleared out loads of pubs!!!!:cool2:

Alan.

Thanks Alan, I see what you mean. Bet you have had some good times with the old wagon over those years.

I would ave thought the oldest bit of kit in use was a building, or something related to a building (door key, etc).

Theres a Redoubt fortress still in use down on the south coast, and dover/newhaven forts were in use until relatively recently.

Just a ponderance but how old are the Queens Royal Lancers lances?

Still in service, if only as a tourist attraction!

Mons Meg is over 550 years old, one of the world’s oldest cannons.

Mons Meg is one of two giant siege guns given to James II of Scotland in 1457. Built at Mons, Belgium, she represented the cutting edge of military technology. She weighs over 6,000kg, and fired 150kg stone cannonballs.

- Mons Meg was probably first used in 1460 at Roxburgh Castle near the border with England. During this battle, James II was fatally wounded when another giant siege cannon exploded.

- In 1489, she was taken 80km (50 miles) west to Dumbarton Castle, to help subdue the Earl of Lennox.

- Mons Meg’s huge weight made her very difficult to move. Her average speed was just 5km (3 miles) per day. In the 1540s she was withdrawn from active service and kept in Edinburgh Castle for use as a saluting gun.

- She was fired in 1558 to celebrate the marriage of Mary Queen of Scots to the French Dauphin; and again in 1681, as a birthday salute for the future King James VII. This time, the gun barrel burst. The fractured hoops can still be seen.

-·In 1754, Mons Meg was taken to the Tower of London, where she remained for 75 years. But eventually the novelist Sir Walter Scott and the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland persuaded George IV to return her. Mons Meg was brought back to the castle in 1829.

- The royal flag was raised from the battlements and the crowds cheered. Mons Meg, one of the most powerful medieval guns, had come home.

Ps The wife refused to be nominated.

Harry.