Trw

thesloth

I passed my motorclycle test this summer with a view to buying an old bike. For some reason I quite fancy starting my collection with a Triumph TRW. I suppose I just think they look good, and are simple, robust side-valvers. Ive always enjoyed side valve cars that is.... Also a bit more stylish than an M20

However I've never ridden one, so please can anyone tell me if I'm likely to enjoy one.

Additional information is that being a sloth I'm not into speed and I've quite short hind legs, so a high saddle position is not required.

Also on the shortlist is anything by Moto-guzzi or Douglas. I like the unorthodox you see.

:tup:: en avance

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I have not long sold my TRW.They have a fairly low saddle so easy to ride,its basically a war time bike but with tele forks,its no sloth top speed of 70mph,being a twin its smooth and comfortable to ride,You will struggle to find a decent one as most of them were thrown in the hedge if they broke down as they were cheap to buy,rare compaired to ww2 bikes.

libaryone015.jpg

libaryone014.jpg

I had a very late production MK3 TRW back in the 1990s, what a fantasic bike. You have that glorious Triumph twin sound, good looks, reasonable handling, and very reliable (later production examples had two coils, two sets of points, two condensors, lose any one of these and you can still get home). I had to sell mine due to divorce 10 years ago, and I really miss it, been looking for another for ages.

Well there's been about 1 per month turning up on ebay, and I've just won this month's example for my first "vintage" bike.

I said decent ones are rare,So what do you have,any pics.

Well it seems to be sound, and it runs OK. Its a bit tatty, but none of my machinery is pristine. I will take a few photos as soon as I have put the wheels back on (the tyres are old and need replacing)

That brings me to a question, the back wheel rim seems to be chromed but the front painted silver. Looking at original picture I cannot decide if the rims were originally painted or finished in chrome. Does anyone have any ideas on this.

If it needs to be chrome I might as well get a new rim and spokes. If not I'll brush the patches of rust off the spokes and apply paint.

Thanks

Sloth

The wheel rims were chrome in service.look back at the pics,if you could make it to the M/cycle musuem at greenford this sunday you will see a couple there including the rare pre war prototype

i will get some pics.i also have the manuals for the trw.i might be pursuaded to part with them:-D

Sloth,

as Catweazle says I'm pretty sure chrome is correct for the wheels. Bizarrely, TRWs were originally supplied in bottle green paintwork with twin gold pin striping, which seems odd. I've seen NOS TRW tin-ware still in its in army wrappings, with the bottle green and gold pin striping applied! Of course, many were just painted DBG or RAF blue not long after entering service.

If anyone hears of a project (a basket case is fine) please let me know

G506

Mine was painted DBG.and then Nato,it was one of the last built,it was never registered since release so had not been mullered by anyone.Will pst pics of prototype later,and one with a swinging arm.ALL SEEN AT THE MOTORCYCLE MUSUEM

Sloth/Catweazle,

from memory, I think mine was WD reg no. 05 EN 00, and was ex REME, what are your reg numbers?

Sorry mate i cant remember,it was built in the last year of production 1962 i think.

• 2 months later...