• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

Hi Degsy, thanks you for answer,

on first wieu I think this same- its civilian re-build,

but is for sale plastic models ,think 1:72(?) as Royal navy and RAF truck tipper, war time, with this system, and I see this similar ex-RAF K6 as to K6 my friend, (K6 is now on my garden) and to K6 on previos articles.

Think modelers must have pictures this tipper conversion K6.

This tipper on K6 my friend David is very profesional.

K6 have engine and others in very good condition and good start, and running.

I want know this tipper is orig. war time?

or we must let out this mechanism from K6?

Think must exist war time pictures this model K6-maybe?

regards

Tomas

• 8 months later...

Hi Richard, this is why I ask. Normally you'd expect helical gears to be quieter than straight cut gears - the trend over the years has been to go to helically cut gears in cars for exactly that reason. If the K5 transfer box gears were helically cut, what was the reason for the noise?

Hi Degsy, thanks you for answer,

on first wieu I think this same- its civilian re-build,

but is for sale plastic models ,think 1:72(?) as Royal navy and RAF truck tipper, war time, with this system, and I see this similar ex-RAF K6 as to K6 my friend, (K6 is now on my garden) and to K6 on previos articles.

Think modelers must have pictures this tipper conversion K6.

This tipper on K6 my friend David is very profesional.

K6 have engine and others in very good condition and good start, and running.

I want know this tipper is orig. war time?

or we must let out this mechanism from K6?

Think must exist war time pictures this model K6-maybe?

regards

Tomas

Having looked at it again I think you are right Tomas it looks exactly like the original type of ram so it could well be an original RAF tipper although it is also possible that it is a civilian conversion using the same type of ram. Was there enough left of the body to identify it as a RAF type?

If the K5 transfer box gears were helically cut, what was the reason for the noise?

No idea, but I have heard stories from vets who said they tended not to send K5's towards the front line as they could be heard from a distance. The QL transfer box had straight gears, and although it had a distinct sound, nothing like a K5. The Dingo transfer box has double helical gears and you can literally play a tune with them by lifting the power off and on. Have you ever heard a K5 driving? That is why they were nicknamed "Screamer" by servicemen.

My Dad was with 15 Scottish Div. 279 field Co RE. they had CMP and Austin K5 3 tonners. We often talked about the trucks and equipment he had driven he never complained about the screamer.

Hi Ted,

There was nothing wrong with them, a good truck, but the fact that they have been known as Screamer for 65 years does point out that the t/box was rather vocal :D

Richards right as usual, the QL's get a lovely whine on when you wind them up, but it's not as loud as a k5, we followed one once and it's a lovely sound.

Also a friend of mine used to drive the K5's and he loved them. I've always been led to believe the only vehicle that was better than the bedfords were the austins.

Edited by rippo

I've always been lead to believe the only vehicle that was better than the bedfords were the austins.

Thanks John..................and I agree with the above. My first overseas MV event was with a friend in his Austin K5, to Bruges, in 1987........anyone else go to that one?

oops.........sorry, we have gone right off the subject as usual :embarrassed:

Is it still there!!?!?!?!? Where is it!?!?!? oooohhh all excite:nut:d now!!!!!!!!!

It is still there to the best of my knowledge, but I would guess it is completely rotten through. Back end is in a worse state than the visible front. I really would be surprised if anybody could find anything salvagable from it.

If the 'individual' (I'm not allowed to make bad comments on here :) ) who owns it is willing to let it go how much shall I offer him for it on your behalf?

No idea, but I have heard stories from vets who said they tended not to send K5's towards the front line as they could be heard from a distance. The QL transfer box had straight gears, and although it had a distinct sound, nothing like a K5. The Dingo transfer box has double helical gears and you can literally play a tune with them by lifting the power off and on. Have you ever heard a K5 driving? That is why they were nicknamed "Screamer" by servicemen.

Hi Richard, yes, heard 'em, that's why I always thought they must be straight cut gears. Be interesting to get a look at a cross section or exploded diagram.

It is still there to the best of my knowledge, but I would guess it is completely rotten through. Back end is in a worse state than the visible front. I really would be surprised if anybody could find anything salvagable from it.

If the 'individual' (I'm not allowed to make bad comments on here :) ) who owns it is willing to let it go how much shall I offer him for it on your behalf?

To be honest it,s the front I'm interested in...mine has had the front shocks cut off!!!!!!! Price wise I havn't a clue I know a comlpete sound one went for about £600 a month or two ago!?!?

But I would be very interested!! Whereabouts are you????

Tim

• 9 years later...

There are some photos of a dismantled QL transfer box in my post of May 2019 in not a vehicle but needed. You can see the gear train is a mixture of spur and single helical gears.

Edited by john1950
addition