WW2 Humber

Brooky

One of the fella's at our local club owns this, a lovely old thing, stacks of british character about it, and built like the proverbial brick outhouse, it has loads of room inside and is very comfortable, amongst my favourite WW2 vehicles on the show circuit up here. Why would anybody want a jeep when you could have something like this!

It's cleverly called "Pandora" which most people dont get the significance of!

GE2.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon

Both the drawing of and the restored example of the Heavy Utility seem to have had their disruptive camouflage based broadly on the same period photograph (which also appears in Vanderveen).

The Pullman looks to have one of the worst possible uses of 'Mickey Mouse' disruptive. The dark upper surface is correct but the colour change on the trim line with just a token dip doesn't do much to break up the outline. Anyone restoring a vehicle like that would probably take some flak but it's authentic !

The Pullman looks to have one of the worst possible uses of 'Mickey Mouse' disruptive. The dark upper surface is correct but the colour change on the trim line with just a token dip doesn't do much to break up the outline. Anyone restoring a vehicle like that would probably take some flak but it's authentic !

I think you are right, however the photos are genuine wartime and came from Humber themselves.

however if anyone did paint one like that there is the proof!!

• 4 weeks later...

We bought a 1938 Humber Pullman car in march and have done lots of work on it, New wooden floor, Bumpers, upgrade the headlights, door panels, new boot inside and a respray. took it to Holland this Sept where photo was taken. Still needs more work on it.

been in a few films.

IMG_0064[1].jpg

IMG_0063[1].jpg

• 2 months later...
...a Humber captioned as a Shooting Brake - would this have been a civilian impressed model ?

One of the lesser known military models from the Rootes group stable was the "car, 4x2, Heavy Utility". Not to be confused with the 4x4 heavy utility, this one had the Snipe front end and a 'woodie' shooting brake body.

There are a couple in existence. One came up on Milweb recently.

Scroll down here to see one in RAF markings, although I've not seen period photographs of a Humber with precisely this style of body: http://www.woodiecarclub.com/index.php?f=data_home&a=0

One of the lesser known military models from the Rootes group stable was the "car, 4x2, Heavy Utility". Not to be confused with the 4x4 heavy utility, this one had the Snipe front end and a 'woodie' shooting brake body.

There are a couple in existence. One came up on Milweb recently.

Scroll down here to see one in RAF markings, although I've not seen period photographs of a Humber with precisely this style of body: http://www.woodiecarclub.com/index.php?f=data_home&a=0

Another pic of the RAF Humber 4x2 seen at Kemble last year

general pics 200 (2).jpg

Edited by Nick Johns

Crikey Richard, Do you know the photograph or did you recognise the village ? I can mail the whole article through to you if you like. There are a couple of M20s practising up on the downs as well.

:):):)

Two minutes detective work.....I do know of Findon and there was a lot of military training and activity in that area during WW2 by the British and Canadian armies. I would be interested to see what else you have, thanks.

• 11 years later...