Military Fire Appliances Gallery

AndyFowler

Mind you I also had a matchbox Forward Control....

aHH NOW THE TRUTH COMES OUT I have located a photo trying to get a copy of it and permission to put it on the forum. You must then remember the making of 633 sqn on your doorstep ??

regards TED also of fading memory

• 2 weeks later...

Hose.jpg

I rather think this is an Internal Security job, rather than fire-fighting, although at times blazing liquids may have been involved.

Yes, I think you will find that this is an Austin K2 in RUC service dealing with election time riots in early October 1964. As for blazing liquids, these were expended on a trolleybus, which carried a large advert "Reward! You've earned that Guinness"

Thanks, Clive. I thought it'd be from that part of the world.

In case anyone thinks it shouldn't be on this thread it was ex-NFS. It was modified to water cannon mode 1954-6. It did double up as a water carrier during supply problems in July 1960.

You can just make out the black WW2 steel helmets which continued as riot protection until mid-1969.

Alan many thanks for the piccies. The Landie 27 AG 24 was by HCB in 1967 , a single vehicle contract specially for No1 Air Control Centre (mobile radar convoy) based at RAF Wattisham. After disposal it eventually found its way to the Newark air museum. Last year it was at the Manston Fire museum ; it is either still there or it may have been moved up to Scampton by its owner Steve Shirley.

The Bedford water tender 28 AG 49 served at RAF Cosford and then

Halton.

The final vehicle is indeed an aircraft de-icer its the hi access version . We had one here at Leuchars when we were a Master Diversion Airfield .

TED

Here we go. I thought I had some shots of the ones at East Kirkby, the only problem was that the sun was facing right into the camera when I visited.

The green one is a Thornycroft Mk7, I have overhaulled these many years ago, for RAF Manston Fire School. The manual gearbox version was damned awkward to drive, due to the gear lever position, but we had one in with an Allison auto box, that was a goer !

The green one is a Thornycroft Mk7, I have overhaulled these many years ago, for RAF Manston Fire School. The manual gearbox version was damned awkward to drive, due to the gear lever position, but we had one in with an Allison auto box, that was a goer !

Cheers Richard for the extra information. Mike's earlier pictures show that the other Thornycroft is still there but is the MK7?

The MK 7 is now a "runner" and I think Steve has moved it to Scampton,

The other truck is a DP 1 (Dual Purpose MK 1 ) they were designed to fullfill 3 roles; Firstly as a water supply truck to bulk the the Crash Foam trucks. From the 44 monitor type onward they all carried enough compound to enable external replenishment.

Secondly to operate as a domestic fire truck and thirdly to act as a crash foam tender in their own right in the absence of other vehicles.

THe example at E K is rare in having a Monitor A number of the contract were built with a monitor and an anti fragmentation screen at the front for use at Bloodhound missile sites, a further number were built with the necessary extra plumbing to allow a monitor to be fitted at a later date.

Thanks all for clarifying details of the fire units, the mamoth major may have been taken at Lyneham and used on VC10's tail, there are aero shots from there showing Beverley and Argosy,

also a range under a single number 12252 of RAF Vehicles

Alan could you please elaborate on your final sentence please

Ta

TED