Military Fire Appliances Gallery

AndyFowler

Thanks Mark, GYR 786 could be an interesting model to build. I'll have to do a bit of research and see what I can turn up on the old girl.

Nick.

GYR 786 started life with the Army fire service. shortly after VE a sizeable batch were tranferred to the National Fire Service. In Army service they carried a Coventry Climax light pump in the back and towed a Dennis trailer pump. The third pic shows one in Service with Liverpool Fire service post august 1948 The QL is in Red but the pump which is a Harland, is still in NFS grey. The QL looks very light due to the type of film. In this picture the hose stowage lockers can be seen in the body sides. There is a 1/72 kit of the vehicle but it is very basic.

TED

PICT1939.jpg

PICT1938.jpg

Ex army Fire service QL.jpg

Edited by ted angus

• 1 month later...

Hi

Is this the same Dennis Pump trailer as the one on the picture of the Bedford QL model?

Do any one have any info on these Pumps, is it possible to get spares, manuals etc.

I am guessing that it is from forties, is this correct, where would it have been use AFS army RAF?

CIMG7258.jpg

CIMG7259.jpg

CIMG7260.jpg

CIMG7262.jpg

Yes that is a dennis as towed by the Army QL tender. In service with AFS then NFS, and all branches of the armed forces. post WW2 it was the standard army trailer pump. I would expect bits and manuals are obtainable I bought a pile of bits that were a 1943 coventry climax pump and in 3 years I fully restored and kitted it.

TRP.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just looked at the above video, fantastic stuff.

I thought these may be of interest to some of you. Before and after photos of a newly modified Carmichael MFV2 'Florian'.

PB21AA seen at Northolt. It had been delivered just a few months earlier after receiving the Florian modifications;

5848466947_eacbe0353c_z.jpg

PB21AA, a month later at Lyneham, the vehicle caught fire on the M4 while being driven from Northolt to Lyneham. (this photo from a friend at Lyneham and used with his permission).

6340943538_baf2b4be8a_z.jpg

Hello

I am busy to collect Austin k 2 info , in every form or way. I have made a website for this under rated great vehicle that must have saved lives and goods , If you have any info please contact me you can visit the web site on : http://www.martinvandepoel.nl/martinvandepoel_austink2/WELCOME.html

Hope to get a lot of info!

Thanks Martin Vandepoel The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That one has been on ebay for a couple of months now, with no takers for some reason. It says it has been in barn storage for a good period of time so you would like to think that there isn’t anything majorly wrong with it. Hopefully someone takes the plunge and purchases it.

A shame as it's a nice vehicle - I sat in it and had a look when I was down there, sadly I haven't got either the room or the cash (one RL green goddess is quite enough, thanks....). It was barn stored then the owner died recently if I recall, Brian then bought it to save it really. It is pretty complete and in good condition, except for the front wing which is easily replaced. Hope someone buys......

A shame as it's a nice vehicle - I sat in it and had a look when I was down there, sadly I haven't got either the room or the cash (one RL green goddess is quite enough, thanks....). It was barn stored then the owner died recently if I recall, Brian then bought it to save it really. It is pretty complete and in good condition, except for the front wing which is easily replaced. Hope someone buys......

Yes lets hope she's preserved !:-D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...

In what years did Foamite start making the Dual Purpose DP1 and DP2 for the RAF?

Video here of Foamite making the DP1 at their Plymouth factory.

Whilst we're all familiar with the Alvis Salamander / Pyrene Mk 6 of the RAF, Pyrene also offered the Mark 6 on the Thornycroft chassis

Pyrene-Mark-6-Advert.thumb.jpg.6619f32dde72ae331c4149955aa02e85.jpg

And we're all seen the Matchbox Alvis Salamander / Foamite crash tender, as Foamite supplied to South Africa. But they also offered the Mark 6 on the Thornycroft Nubian chassis

Foamite2.thumb.png.4aec410997a9729658cf248783f34b19.png

Foamite4.jpg.1280f38e567d4dff12b25f5f1d3eac4a.jpg

Would anyone have a better image of the Thornycroft / Foamite Mark 6, please

Foamitedocimage2.jpg.f2a806d14e15e7d069f437f26922a0a8.jpg

And would anyone have any of the Foamite DP sales brochures, please?

DP1_7.thumb.jpg.d77fd6ba657ee5681cd251503d3124ea.jpg

You have to go in some 14 minutes, but this video shows the Alvis Salamander / Foamite Crash tender, with it's front opening doors.

I have a webpage on the Salamanders here

https://sites.google.com/view/alvis-stalwart-hmlc-files/alvis-salamander-crash-tender