Military Fire Appliances Gallery

AndyFowler

If you have a good look at the panoramio albums there is a colour piccy showing 2 Hippos in fire section service with 2 Nubian DP1s. I expect they were the same pair, they never clocked up many miles. When I was at akrotiri the fire service at Episkopi had changed hands from Army to RAF and there was also a Hippo at Episkopi; This could account for the second one that used to be at Akrotiri. For those interested most middle East statyions had Hippo water carrier in service with the Fire section, originaly they were equipped to lay foam strips on runways, but when the purpose build foam layers came into service the foam laying items were removed. The attached piccy showing the ad hoc arrangement for laying a foam strip precedes the picture earlier in the thread. The trailer pumps in the attached are in the same fire service parking area taken from behind the vehicles looking towards the guardroom / In the panoramic view of Akrotiri main gate area in the bottom left hand corner is a queue of people waiting to enter the guardroom for a pass this is to the left end of the building visible in the trailer pump piccy.

TED

Copy of Picture3.JPG

coventryclimaxpump.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I think it started going off topic on post#33

It Did but lets not frighten espresso off,it looks a laugh,maybe he would like to tell us more in other chatter.I know lee likes a bit of a bang.

Have video of him setting fire to his own landrover:cool2:

Gents, USA trucks are not my strongest subject I think the attached may be an M50 series Kaiser Jeep ?/ can someone put me right. The truck is in USN service at the then top secret USN listening and submarine tracking base at RAF Edzell in the county of ANGUS. AS with most US bases in UK the fire section at Edzell was manned by Air Force Dept Fire Service - which of course was absorbed into the Defence fire service.

Note the USN system of registrations is different from the USAF and the 73 does not reflect an in service fiscal year.

TED

EDZEL4.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...