RAF Mk9 Thornycroft Nubian Major Crash Truck

Smokinbarrels

What a beauty ! Have you seen the Salamander at Hendon RAF Museum ? Nice to see this old girls getting looked after ! It seems all to often they are left abandoned on airfields til its to late to save em ! Its a shame as they are probably dry stored up to that point !

DSC03138 (2).JPG

DSC03140.jpg

Morning all,

as we seem to have a military fire thread here. I wonder if any of the Bedford TK/HCB Angus "Midi" are preserved?

When I was at a ATC camp at RAF Manston, before the museum was opened, I was privilaged to be given a guided tour of the sheds, the above appliances were used for driver training I think, usually towing a trailer pump.

Thoughts please

Mark :cool:

PS, mods, can we have a seperate section to cover fire, police ambulances of all nations/eras please?

This Salamander still resides at Headcorn in Kent i think its still operational but last i saw it it was looking a bit tatty

I visited Headcorn in the summer and have to say I didnt see the Salamander in my short visit. What I did see I have attached below.

As you have said though Les it could be tucked away in one of the hangers, I only managed to get close to the Landrover as there were some workers about to let me in

I did go there many years ago and I'm sure there were lots of other vehicles in the hanger where the Landrover is but I couldnt see any this time I went.

016.jpg

017.jpg

The Salamander is more recent than the 1970s Neil when you went you would probably have seen the M5 halftrack with front jib and a large foam tank inside the body as far as i know the halftrack is still there tucked away in one of the hangers

The halftrack, ex REME I belive has been moved, but don't know where. Well worth a visit, and the Flying Prom's are fantastic, if gaining a reputation for being wet.

• 1 month later...
This Salamander still resides at Headcorn in Kent i think its still operational but last i saw it it was looking a bit tatty

If it's still there when the IMPS show is on it might be worth asking the question "how much" - be great if we could get it and have an example of all of the Alvis 6x6 family down at the fort!!!

If it's still there when the IMPS show is on it might be worth asking the question "how much" - be great if we could get it and have an example of all of the Alvis 6x6 family down at the fort!!!

I think there was also another there at one time, used for spares, but I seem to recollect that they would not sell when approached by someone I know.

We used to store our Rapier kit and a couple of 101s at Headcorn behind the museum. Don't recall seeing the Salamander. The half track was still there 3 years ago, as a was a stolly (which we tried and failed to start!) and a BV202. All sorts of other old stuff in the hangers amongst the aircraft, the place had a very non-commercial laid back charm about it (slowly being eroded by H&S and security needs)

I think there was also another there at one time, used for spares, but I seem to recollect that they would not sell when approached by someone I know.

How long ago was that Richard??

We used to store our Rapier kit and a couple of 101s at Headcorn behind the museum. Don't recall seeing the Salamander. The half track was still there 3 years ago, as a was a stolly (which we tried and failed to start!) and a BV202. All sorts of other old stuff in the hangers amongst the aircraft, the place had a very non-commercial laid back charm about it (slowly being eroded by H&S and security needs)

I used to go free-fall parachuting there 30 odd years ago - it was a laid back place then too :):)