42 chevy

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NOS

Let me know how they turn out. I sent Robert 2 additional data plates that I removed from my rear axles referecne the TIMKEN axles. When I get them, I will post pictures.

John

I have removed the oil filter assembly, torn it down for cleaning and repainting. In the pictures, you will see the viscometer assembly. If your truck has one, I recommend taking it apart per the TM and clean the screen, mine was filled with sludge.

The last 2 pictrures are of my NOS quartermaster corp "water pump" grease gun that I just finished cleaning all the cosmoline off of it.

John

oil filter restoration001.jpg

oil filter restoration002.jpg

oil filter restoration004.jpg

oil filter restoration006.jpg

oil filter restoration007.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have finished rebuilding the TRU STOP parking brake. I removed 65 years of accumilated grease from the unit. I had it soaking for a day in gas and then bead blasted and painted it. Everything moves freely now.

parking brake rebuild 004.JPG

parking brake rebuild 009.JPG

I moved onto the shifter levers, what a mess with the grease. Soaking in gas, scraping, back to soaking and scraping and finally to the blast cabinet and painting.

Before and after pictures.................

Diamond  T shifter rebuild 003.JPG

Diamond  T shifter rebuild 004.JPG

Diamond  T shifter rebuild 005.JPG

Diamond  T shifter rebuild 006.JPG

Diamond  T shifter rebuild 013.JPG

Diamond  T shifter rebuild 014.JPG

parking brake rebuild 005.JPG

parking brake rebuild 006.JPG

I got the NOS fuel back from the rebuilders who installed and ethonal compatible diaphram. Gotta love this fuel in this country. I detailed the oil fill cap and the igniton wire protector and installed NOS wires.

parking brake rebuild 001.JPG

parking brake rebuild 002.JPG

parking brake rebuild 003.JPG

Spent the day reassembling the parking brake and putting the shift tower back on. While everything was apart I cleaned up the treansfer case.

Found a rebuild tag from 1966 on the top of the transmission. Can some decipher it?

IMGP1607.JPG

IMGP1601.JPG

IMGP1590.JPG

IMGP1600.JPG

IMGP1602.JPG

IMGP1603.JPG

IMGP1604.JPG

IMGP1605.JPG

• 4 months later...

I have had a very busy summer at work, but I am starting to make progress again. The oil pan and front timing cover were removed for the purpose of installing new seals and gaskets. The air compressor was taken apart and R&R. I will be removing the engine out of the chassis as it will make the job eaiser of painting the frame. The radiator is at the shop getting a pressure test.

Adrian, your cab repairs look spot on. I need to give Jim Clarke a call.

Pictures to follow soon

Thanks John, it sounds like work has compromised your summer restoration time. I can sympathise as I am in a similar position. My timetable really has gone out the window and in short the T will be finished when it is finished (if these things ever are).

Jim really does have a good set of patterns so chase him up.

How are you fixed for the roof liner?

Cheers,

A

It may not look like much has been down, but alot of "small" jobs have been done.

-The engine timing gear cover was removed and new seals were fitted to the crankshaft pulley and to the aux pulley.

-The oil pan was removed, sludge was removed from the bottom of the pan and the pan was reinstalled.

-The engine was cleaned and repainted

-the air compressor was rebuilt and installed.

Next the engine and transmission will be removed and the inside of the frame will be cleaned and painted.

I am using TM-9 ordanance paint and one shot you will see the outside right front frame rail painted. This paint is far superior to any aothe OD paint I have used previously.

engine detailing 071.jpg

engine detailing 072.jpg

engine detailing 073.jpg

engine detailing 074.JPG

engine detailing 075.jpg

engine detailing 076.jpg

I forgot to mention that I also removed the water distribution panel on the left side of the engine and flushed the block out, not to bad but I am glad I did it.

The radiator is currently at the shop having a new core fitted.

I am currently rebuilding the fan hub assembly and steering drag link.

John

Oh nice one John, looking really smart. Your restoration is superb, looking forward to the pictures of the T when finished.

Jim Clark is working on perfecting the A post and floor finishing strips for my cab so give him a call and he should be able to provide most if not all of the panels you require.

Regarding that lead on cab roof linings the chap is awaiting patterns from Australia. He manufactures replacement civilian spec linings but needs confirmation on the military spec but they apparently come ready to fit and correctly shaped.

Cheers,

A

Regarding that lead on cab roof linings the chap is awaiting patterns from Australia. He manufactures replacement civilian spec linings but needs confirmation on the military spec but they apparently come ready to fit and correctly shaped.

Erm, I wonder if he does GMC CCKW roof linings? I'd certainly be interested in one or two if you are getting a Diamond T one shipped over, Adrian.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the radiator from the local shop I use, Cecil Phillip, the owner told me that half of the core was clogged, and he did not feel comfortable rodding it out and putting back togather. He had to use a lot of heat to get the bolts to come out, over 2/3 of the bolts broke off and alot of solder loosened up, so in with a new core., $1188.00 later:coffee:, I have a "new" radiator.

Funny thing is the truck did not over heat, but I trust his judgement and he has worked miracles on projects I have brought to him in the past.

The drage link was rebuilt with 2 NOS kits.

Steering box was cleaned up and I will put PENRITE steering box lube back in.

Installed NOS fan belts and got the the fan back on. I rebuilt the fan hub with an overhaul kit and put new bearings in. The pictures show the old bearings.

Last but not least, I have my "project and I had to get the MRS her toy. A 1965 Mustang GT convertible.

radiator repair 016.jpg

radiator repair 017.jpg

radiator repair 018.JPG

radiator repair 019.JPG

radiator repair 020.JPG

radiator repair 021.JPG

radiator repair 023.JPG

radiator repair 024.jpg

radiator repair 025.JPG

radiator repair 022.JPG

radiator repair 015.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got the engine out yesterday, not a fun job, the engine weighs 1100 lbs, and the transmission weighs around 450 lbs. I took the transmission out first then the engine. After the engine came out, the winch came out next. That was easy compared to the engine removal.

Now I have access to the frame to clean and repaint

Diamond t engine removal 014.jpg

Diamond t engine removal 018.jpg

Diamond t engine removal 021.jpg

Diamond t engine removal 015.jpg

Diamond t engine removal 020.JPG