weapon choice for jeep

bullitt

Hey all

I am after a M1 Carbine or a Thompson SMG to go in the rifle holder of my 42 gpw. I cant make up my mind which to ghet so i wondered if you could help me decide. Which would you rather have?? Also I have seen a carbine in the rifle holder but I aint seen a Thompson in one. I am told the Thompson fits ok but does it look ok in the holder??

cheers

shaun

Hi Shaun

The Thompson will go in the holder but it does require a bit of force and is not ideal,I have seen people fit a holster to take a Thompson just at the rear of the front wing but I don't know if this was ever done during WW11

or if it is just another 'show addition'.

Cheers

Degsy

Scabbard, Leather, Thompson. M1940 From the Harley.

or

Scabbard, Leather, Rifle. M1938. With brass throat to protect rifle bolt.

or even;

Scabbard, Leather, Rifle. or Scabbard, Leather, Rifle M1904, both carried over from WW1

Plenty of photgraphic evidence for all types.

Even Racks, Gun, Universal, as seen on jeep windshields, being fitted to the outside of the jeep body passenger side, with slot uppermost. For passenger ready action use.

Field mod in forward areas. For that little 'edge'

To be fair the seller does discribe it as being "new". for the price it's a good repro and the colour is not bad,remember most original leather items have had 60+years of use and leather does darken with getting wet or being oiled. I have an un-used 1942 dated holster that is the same colour as this.

Matt.

Hi Matt

I have seen a no of scabbards on Harleys but in amuch lighter colour, no idea if they were repro's but were some issued in a lighter colour which would turn to US Russet Brown when polished as was the case with some other items?

By the way, any progress on transport for your GMC from Immingham?

Cheers

Degsy

Hi Degsy,

A lot depends on the type of hide used,but yes much of the original NOS leather I've seen is a very light colour. all leather will darken with age/use. Lloyd had some NOS tool straps off me and they were a light redish brown.

I have transport sorted for the GMC thanks,should be getting it here in March.

Cheers,

Matt.

• 4 weeks later...

As the reproduction scabbards, rifle slings and ect all made of new leather, it is going to be much lighter due to age. I purchased a reproduction WWII dated leather sling for my 1903A3 Springfield and darkened with a leather treatment product called mink oil. It will darken the bright leather, giving it a more worn look and also it water proofs and protects the leather at the same time. Worked for me, but then I don't know if that product is available over there.