Buying an Army Boat... What a disappointment!

Sisu

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Hello Catweasle,

This photo was taken ashore on a purpose built Royal Air Force trailer. She weighs around twenty five tons at the moment and is stripped out ready for work to commence inside and out. She is 68ft long with a beam of 19ft and was laid down in 1956 at Vosper's yard in Portsmouth and was originally powered by three Napier Sea Lion engines of 550hp and was re-engined in 1960 with two Rolls Royce Griffon 36 litre V12's giving a speed of 40 knots at a service weight of 50 tons. The Griffon's have long gone, and two small diesels are currently fitted.

I want to return her to her original condition externally although she is pretty much original as she is, but inside she will become a comfortable long distance cruiser.

RTTL.

Many thanks for the imfo,i would love to take a look sometime if thats possable,after this month i will be spending most wk ends around the Portsmouth area,in fact we are looking to move to the area,giving it all up here in London and maybe i will join forces with Andy my engineer and start our own marine repair ,many people keep asking us as they are all getting ripped off and not even having the jobs done properly.My pal Jim who looks after Horatias woodwork has had his summer ruined by his own resident engineer not doing what he was asked and charging for it.

Be carefull if you need to employ people.PM me if you wish.cheers CW.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Only trouble is. How do this new *** stupidity about exporting military equipment cover ex military vessels?

I have no idea ,do you?

Anyone know the fate of an old AFV called Black shark? She sat in St Aubins harbour for years, the bloke doing her up had a LWB Gipsy then suddenly she was gone. There was also an old LCI at St Helier for years.

I'd like a 16 foot Dory Rigid Raider if anyone knows of one.

Long time since you have seen your rigid raider.

True, unfortunatley. :noyay: The sailing school in St Aubin's had one as a gaurd boat. Two 75 hp engines on the back , great fun but a run in decent (ie rough, I was about 15) weather you came back covered in bruises.

I knew a girl like that ,she was rigid raider mad.:captain:

When you were young you liked your women tough and firey! Now the main thing to look for in a woman is patience. :noyay: When I had a Teal at Penton Hook the boat next door was Ex destroyer Foxhonud, she had a Dunkirk plate. There were also still a number of converted MTB houseboats on the Thames. One of the oddest , quasi ex military boats I knew was the States of Jersey oficial tug, Duchess of Normandy. The one in service up to the late sixtes was an ex German Rhine tug. she has been brought over in 1941 and was kept as repatrations after the Occupation.