Mystery Object No.82

fv1609

It's for cutting out leather army boot heels and piercing the thread/nail holes in one operation.

Good you've picked up on its shape which is important. Very logical suggestion for the shape & for the holes but afraid it is not the answer.

ok, I am guessing you pull up the plunger, hit the release and it jabs all the needles in?
Yes

labotomy tool?
Nope. I doubt that the procedure was of benefit to the patient, although I doubt if a lobotomy was either!

Does it date from Queen Victoria's time? If so, perhaps it is for tattoing the letter "D" for deserter under a soldiers armpit, so that he may not re-enlist with out detection?

Yes well done Richard again!

It is indeed a branding machine made by Weiss of London in about 1850.

Branding deserters was known to be done from 1717 with a hot iron on forehead or hand. It later was done on parade by the Drum Sgt Major who pierced the skin with needles. The Drummer boy passed him gunpowder to rub into the bleeding wounds although later various dyes were used.

Do remember the brand of Drummerboy dyes?

In 1851 it became the responsibility of medical staff to perform with the Weiss machine but was stopped in 1879.