150cm Searchlight

Keith Brigstock

Just a short note to say we have finaly got out 150cm Searchlight working on Carbons using a war time generator. I know there are some very fine 90cm Searchlights around working but we beleve we have the only working 150cm in the UK if not Europe.

I have attached a few photos to show the searchlight in action. The beam of light is very intense and has a blue tint to it and it looked fantastic. Even with the light pollution the beam still was very strong. We have been informed since then that it could be seen from Chitern which is about ten miles away. The girls on the long arm enjoyed it and it could possibly be the first time an female has carried out the number 4 role on a fully working 150cm Searchlight since 93rd Searchlight disbanded in June 1945.

The light is not 100% but it still looks great.

Thanks to Andy Dawson and the rest of the Guys in the Garrison that help get the light working.

searchlight1.jpg

searchlight2.jpg

searchlight3.jpg

searchlight4.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Yes but plenty of spare seats on the convoys, absolutely brilliant event.

Looks like you might have passengers next year then:rofl:

Hello Keith,

Just in case you have not seen, here is another thread on Searchlights:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=7056

Interestingly I today received a 40 page manual dated 1943 on operating searchlights, quite technical but goes on to say that they had a range up to 20 miles on a clear night. I'll read the rest later, well the bits I understand.

Searchlight manual.JPG

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I don't think there will be an event next year but the organisers are looking to do something in 2010, I'm sure you would be more than welcome.

2010 i will be on the french canals by then,oh la la.

• 2 weeks later...