HMS Victory to be sold off

BIGREDONE

Just heard on the radio, that the Navy are looking at selling off HMS Victory to make some money. Just hope whoever buys it dosent convert it into a house boat.

From Wave 105 web site

HMS Victory could be sold off

3047050.jpg

Portsmouth's historic warship HMS victory could be run by a charity or public body and not the Royal Navy, the Ministry of Defence says.

The 249-year-old warship was Lord Nelson's flagship during the 1805 Battle of Trafalgar when the Royal Navy defeated a combined French and Spanish fleet to save the country from invasion.

The naval hero died on Victory after being shot during the engagement.

The MoD is looking at a series of options to run the ship and maintain it in a consultation exercise.

These include keeping the current status quo, public ownership by another government department or non-departmental public body.

Others options are setting up of a new charity for the ship or employing an existing charity.

Currently based at the Historic Dockyard, Victory is the oldest commissioned warship in the world but it is increasingly costing money to maintain with costs of around £1.5 million a year and more, if major work is needed.

A MOD spokesman said: "This is not a case of the Navy giving away HMS Victory nor are we decommissioning it. We are looking at a range of funding options for the continued support and ongoing maintenance of HMS Victory.

(1.5 million a year, the MoD wastes that in a month if not a week)

Paul

Edited by BIGREDONE

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I hope they dont advertise it as origanal,theres a lot of fibre glass in there,you couldnt make it up could you.Maybe its a ploy to upset people so they can go to the lottery ,or put there hand out else where.Its still a serving ship it will have to be decomissioned,hazardous materials etc removed,cost more than the sale price.Best thing to do sell the whole site ,as we dont need it we dont have a navy anymore.make a good councill estate,there is a lack of shops and restaurants in the area ,build more.:nono::nono::nono::shocked::shocked::-(:cry:

No Navy?!?!? i saw a couple

Thats my point a couple,when i was a lad you could walk from one side to the other without getting your feet wet.:-D

Just heard on the radio, that the Navy are looking at selling off HMS Victory to make some money. Just hope whoever buys it dosent convert it into a house boat.

From Wave 105 web site

HMS Victory could be sold off

3047050.jpg

Portsmouth's historic warship HMS victory could be run by a charity or public body and not the Royal Navy, the Ministry of Defence says.

The 249-year-old warship was Lord Nelson's flagship during the 1805 Battle of Trafalgar when the Royal Navy defeated a combined French and Spanish fleet to save the country from invasion.

The naval hero died on Victory after being shot during the engagement.

The MoD is looking at a series of options to run the ship and maintain it in a consultation exercise.

These include keeping the current status quo, public ownership by another government department or non-departmental public body.

Others options are setting up of a new charity for the ship or employing an existing charity.

Currently based at the Historic Dockyard, Victory is the oldest commissioned warship in the world but it is increasingly costing money to maintain with costs of around £1.5 million a year and more, if major work is needed.

A MOD spokesman said: "This is not a case of the Navy giving away HMS Victory nor are we decommissioning it. We are looking at a range of funding options for the continued support and ongoing maintenance of HMS Victory.

(1.5 million a year, the MoD wastes that in a month if not a week)

Paul

Typical anything to do with history and its got to be forgotten/sold/ignored

1.5 million,i doubt that,how much do they take at the gate,dont tell you that.What about the warrior that seems to pay.How can you have a ship still in service but funded else where,there more barmy than me.

I suspect we'll see something like an English Heritage take over,might not be as bad as it sounds. Even better would be if IWM take her on but I can see funding issues there.

Matt.

Have you had any dealings with English Heritage?:shake: Just look at the various fiascos over Tilbury Fort. Rather than that tow the Old Lady out into the Channel and give her a Viking funeral!.

You'll note that this has NOT been in the National media, only in the local area.

I suspect, without wishing to veer into the dreaded "P" realms, that were this to be announced in the national media the resultant outcry would sink the current bunch of misfits re-election hopes faster than the Victory sank her opponents at Trafalgar!!!

FWIW - there's an e-petition here demanding she remain as she is - I've signed - http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/HMSVictory/

Edited by ArtistsRifles
e-petition URL added

Is there nothing that this country won't try to flog. What will they do with the money? chuck it up the wall on some barmy idea or another. Certainly nothing useful. Are, just thought, it will fund the consultation paper on what to with the money raised. Whilst we are at it why not get shut of Stonehenge it is in a poor state, or Buckingham Palace after all it's a big house for a couple of pensioners and the kids have got there own homes. Oh and then there's............

If you ever fancied visiting a third World country soon you won't have to travel, you can stay at home...assuming it hasn't been repossessed!

following on from the army going public and slagging the government off, sounds like the R.N. is having a go at the government to highlight how desperate things are getting, cant afford Dinghies etc tactic...........and quite right too!

What next? RAF to get rid of Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, sell it as scrap to china and have a Battle of Britain Tribute glider flight!

Grrrr, dont get me started, look at the way they are treating the Gurkha veterans....:argh:

• 2 weeks later...

Must have hit a raw nerve with the politico's - the No 10 e-petition web site has taken the unusual step of issueing an interim statement:

The e-petition ‘HMS-Victory’ is ongoing. This is a response in advance of it closing from the Prime Minister’s office.

We feel that it is important to ensure that petitioners are aware that, contrary to some of the stories that have appeared in the press, HMS VICTORY will remain part of the Royal Navy. She will not be given away or decommissioned, and she is to remain the Flagship of the Second Sea Lord.

The Government is fully aware of the iconic status of HMS VICTORY and the admiration and affection that the nation has towards her. That is why we are committed to securing her future and ensuring that she continues to be well looked after. Conscious of the considerable work that will be required over the coming years to keep her in top condition, a range of options for the continued support and maintenance of the ship are being considered. They are designed to ensure that her illustrious career with the Royal Navy continues.

As Defence Minister Baroness Ann Taylor said:

“HMS VICTORY will remain part of the Royal Navy. Nothing will change in that respect. The objective for this study is the sustainability of HMS VICTORY as a museum ship and commissioned Royal Navy warship. Continued access depends on extensive works being carried out over the coming years. An examination of the full range of options will seek to ensure that HMS VICTORY is preserved in a sound condition in her home port of Portsmouth for generations to come.”

The Government remains committed to HMS VICTORY remaining as part of the Royal Navy, and ensuring her long-term future.