MV ownership banned.

Guest matt

I have just been reading a discussion over on G503 which got me thinking(well I do try to use my brain somtimes!) and I was wondering how British MV collectors and owners would react if a law was passed which banned the ownership of most ex military equipment,regardless of it's age.

If you were faced with the choice of handing your vehicle over to the "powers that be" who would then scrap it,or breaking the law and keeping/hiding it which would you choose? the same question goes for owners of deactivated guns.

I know which I'd choose,hide the lot!

Matt.

As and when I get the vehicle I want - if some pox ridden poof of a politician then thinks they can take it off me because they either cannot control crime or to they want to satisfy some "ethnic minority" group that blows trains and buses up then they are going to be sadly mistaken and in for a fight. We've lost enough freedoms in the country because of political incompetence/mismanagement and I'm damned if I'm going to lose any more!!!!!!!!

Apologies for the rant - but it's a sore point right now.............

Hi Neil,

No need to apologise! I take it you'd put up a fight then?!

I know this isn't somthing that's going to happen overnight but with the state of things in this country now I think it pays to think about these things. I bet handgun owners never thought they would be picked on before it actually happened.

Matt.

Nice one Neil, fully agree with you there. Why would the government actually want to take military vehicles though? A Willys Jeep is about as dangerous as a Ford Fiesta (then again Fiesta's are faster so maybe they're more dangerous than a jeep). If such a thing happened i'm sure there'd be huge uproar, especially from veterans.

These things do creep up on you , I have seen(and financialy suffered) from the ban on pistols, rifles and the impending ban on replica/deact weapons up next.

You never know in the future what perfectly law abiding pastime will be outlawed to please the minorities!!

It could happen and according to the thread on G503 it looks like it may be sooner rather than later in France,and we are all part of the EU.

Logic doesn't come into it,far more people die every year from road accidents than from being shot with legally held pistols yet the ban still went through. we should ask ourselves two questions,does the government make money from MV owners?(NO),and are we a minority?(YES).

I'm not trying to scare anyone but it's something we need to consider.

Matt.

Hi all,

Even if the government did ban replica weapons and deacts I can guarantee you it wouldn't make any difference to gun crime rates, in fact they would probably go up. Because I know for a fact that no criminal is just going to hand his deac or replica gun into the police or stop waving it around at people illegally. Only us law-abiding people will hand in our weapons and it will be things like our movement and us that will suffer.

Cheers, Mick.

If yuo've followd this issue you know it all started over one man's attempt to license his newly purchased (from out of state) Ferret. Only one person in the chain of bureaucracy had a problem with it, and as the issue grew, he entrenched his position and refused to back down. Evantually he managed to convince his administrative head to issue a ridiculous policy banning armored vehicles. This broad brush was a bad idea because the State of Kansas usually has the power of review over such policies with a widespread impact. The signer of the policy had no idea what she was signing, and the amount of attention it would generate from the legislature. This is a bad thing for a bureaucrat, being proved to have issued an irresponsibly stupid policy.

We believe that the current legislative bill will be withdrawn and a substitute bill introduced which will have far more reasonable language. We have to remember that military vehicle collectors are a rather small proportion of the public, and aside from our friends and family, no one really knows much about them. This education is what is going on now with the members of the Transportation Committee that will eventually pass a bill. They need to know that we are not screaming nut cases (we aren't, are we? ;-) and that our vehicles probably exceed the equipment and safety levels of almost all the 10-15 year old cars and trucks on the Kansas streets.

This all goes back to the one petty mid-level bureaucrat who stepped way over the line marking his level of authority. He's had his pee-pee slapped, and should now slink into his cubicle and obscurity.

This all goes back to the one petty mid-level bureaucrat who stepped way over the line marking his level of authority. He's had his pee-pee slapped, and should now slink into his cubicle and obscurity.

For THAT level of incompetence I'd suggest rather than just "having his pee-pee slapped" it should have been amputated with a blunt knife, shoved up his backside and then hammered home by the toe of the boot that kicked him out of Gov't - state or otherwise - employment permanently!!!

Hi Ian

I have read a small piece on this in one of our MV mags on this side of the pond and am glad to hear your update on the situation. I completely

agree with the sentiments expressed by other members on this forum

but be careful what you put in print,' Big Brother' is, no doubt, watching and free speech in this country is a thing of the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Snowman

I think it might be a case of wait and see,as I understand it, this is an old law which has not been enforced and may fade into the background again.

There was a lot of concern in some quarters during the lead up to the 60th Anniversary Commemorations and there was an article in the MVT Magazine by a member who had gone to great lengths to contact the authorities and as far as I remember arranged something with the Mayor

of the area where he had a property. In the event I didn't hear of any major problems although there were certainly some inconsistencies with regard to vehicle movement on 6th June and we were victims of this but on the whole we were treated extremely well and the welcome we received from the Normandy people was incredible.

Cheers

Degsy

Right; Degsy I guess that was a knee-jerk reaction same as some of the politicians the world over, i'm not sure of things in France maybe there is a terrorist cell hell bent on commandeering military vechiles and terrorizing the french country side! If more Frenches had guns and knew how to use them chances are those terrorist won't make it out of the driveway. Just my $0.2

• 4 years later...

Hi im not sure that they would ban the ownership of military vehicles as we could say in our defense we greatly contribute to the fuel revenue especialy during the show season all the filling stations ive filled up in whether it be my mv parked next to the pumps or a mass of jerry cans they always address me with a grin so they should realise this before blundering into a banning policy !