Gunboat engine rebuild (again)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi i was joking about the piston,but i expect it will come back and bite me in the asre,this side had new liners 2yrs ago..

:argh::argh::argh::cry::cry::cry::shocked::shocked::shocked::sweat::shake::shake::shake::angry:angry:angry:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Pictures tomorrow andy.

Sorry to hear of your problems CW, SNAFU.

Bit of a pain mate,piston picked up lots of melt on cyl wall,would be interested in peoples thoughts on this,dont believe now it was a sea water blockage.

Wont have the chance to take the piston out for a couple of weeks,have to fabricate front support brackets to hold up engine to enable removal of engine mount support brackets as it traps the sump to the block,last time i used high lift jack and a strop around the pulley, to dangerous.Oil pressure is ok.i think the high temp was caused by the piston going into seizure and the other ten litres trying to convince it not to.

Wont have the chance to take the piston out for a couple of weeks,have to fabricate front support brackets to hold up engine to enable removal of engine mount support brackets as it traps the sump to the block,last time i used high lift jack and a strop around the pulley, to dangerous.Oil pressure is ok.i think the high temp was caused by the piston going into seizure and the other ten litres trying to convince it not to.

I have seen big diesels where this has happened, piston then broke up and rod through the block, so you can consider yourself lucky in that respect. Perhaps the piston to bore clearance was a bit on the tight side?

. Perhaps the piston to bore clearance was a bit on the tight side?

I dont think so Richard,we were carefull to satisfy ourselves with the running clearance it was an original piston with new rings and liner.as were two of the others.One warmed up we were at full revs for no more than 5 minutes.The engine has probably done 200 miles or more since the rebuild.

I dont think so Richard,we were carefull to satisfy ourselves with the running clearance it was an original piston with new rings and liner.as were two of the others.One warmed up we were at full revs for no more than 5 minutes.The engine has probably done 200 miles or more since the rebuild.

CW,

When this happened, was it the hardest you had ever pushed the engine, since rebuild? Could have been a faulty piston, although unusual in this day and age, it was a problem in the 40's era, with unpredicatably alloys. I have come across pistons that have expanded and ended up larger than their plan size.........and that was after they cooled down :)

I wouldt say it was the hardest,but we had just beaten our best speed,turning into wind and tide dropped the speed by 4knots this is when it s temp went up and then shut down,but i have driven it at close to this for hours in rough weather in effort to get patweazle back under a tree,she doesnt like it very much.we might know more when the pistons out.

I spoke to the engineer who was on Horatia on the round britain today.He said the official line from CAT was to change injector if any piston probs were evident.the pump had a thousand pound rebuild last time and all new injectors.He said regardless of the injector testing ok on the rig still change it.i remain dubious about this untill we test it.it would be nice to see it at fault,otherwise this could turn into a mystery.no pics lost or left camera in engine room.