Gunboat engine rebuild (again)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Norman they are wet liners,they have three rubber seals at the base,and in this engine a spacer plate between the head and block,the liners have a ridge around the top we call a top hat,will post pictures on rebuild.Dry liners are more common on later engines,they would in this case caused huge problems,and not allowed repairs in situ.

This is one of the reasons they were used so repairs could of been affected at sea,enough spares would of been carried to completely rebuild the engine.Not in this boats case but in other applications .

What a bummer, nothing worse than that! Life ain't fair sometimes mate, good luck with it.

You can say that again ,problem is all the other jobs are falling behind.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again

enginerebuild005.jpg

enginerebuild133.jpg

Had to fabricate this lifting plate to suport the front of the engine,reason being had to remove front cradle which trapped the sump between the block.

You magicians can mind read ! I was just about to ask how the repairs where going mate ! Hope it all goes to plan !:-D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Piston not out yet only because the liner has debry from the piston on it and i didnt have my stones with me to remove it,Andy may have a go in the week.we still need to find out why,will do a pump quantity test next time down.It has to be on the fuel pontoon before the first Nov to beat the fuel increase.:shake: nice to see you getting on with yours.Also getting Gee ready for London Boat Show.

It looks like this cyl has been washed,no water loss maybe excess fuel still have to check pump output for that cyl.

Thought the cooling water came in from the sea?

Or have I misunderstood? Is it simply captive cooling water cooled by heat exchanger to sea water instead of a radiator.

Is the head serviceable with a regrind of valve seats?

Hope it all works out and you find the root cause of the problems. Nothing worse than not finding the cause of a fault when you've stripped things down.

Is it simply captive cooling water cooled by heat exchanger to sea water instead of a radiator .Is the head serviceable with a regrind of valve seats?

Yup thats the one heat exchanger.

we will save the head ,oh yes we will .we definitely will.no doubt about it.theres no way that boat gets a new head.new owner more like.cw.

CW I would say it could be caused by fuel problem. Have you pulled the injector yet? If it is direct injection it is possible for a fault to cause burnt pistons.

The injectors are out Richard,its pre combustion chamber i am afraid,one of the reasons i am a bit puzzled,they dont usually suffer like that.i will have to post picture of injector,they are tiny just a tip screwed to an extention tube,with a large threaded cap which screws it into the head.fairly low pressure but high volume i think.

So are you thinking damage might be caused by excess fuel washing lubrication off cylinder walls? I'd have thought with an engine that size it might cause a bit of black smoke, but of course black smoke is your trademark CW, so guess it might have gone un-noticed? :-D:-D:-D

Good luck with the race to the fuel pontoon :)

The injectors are out Richard,its pre combustion chamber i am afraid,one of the reasons i am a bit puzzled,they dont usually suffer like that.i will have to post picture of injector,they are tiny just a tip screwed to an extention tube,with a large threaded cap which screws it into the head.fairly low pressure but high volume i think.

CW,

I seemed to think you said before it was indirect, which do not generally cause too much of a problem. ........a mystery , but you will sort it no doubt.

So are you thinking damage might be caused by excess fuel washing lubrication off cylinder walls? I'd have thought with an engine that size it might cause a bit of black smoke, but of course black smoke is your trademark CW, so guess it might have gone un-noticed? :-D:-D:-D

Good luck with the race to the fuel pontoon :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::)

The black smoke normally is a result of me being impatiant and not waiting for the turbo to catch up,and a certain amount of me peeing somebody off,usually the pretend harbourmasters.

This engine has allways had blue/grey smoke problem on start up and at prelonged idle compaired to the other one.if you put it under load ,ie in drive but still tied to the birth it would clear.the injectors all new ,major pump o/haul by cat.new liners and rings as per last o/haul.i put it down to stem wear on the other head.there are no seels.maybe this no 2 pot was the culprit,allthough we did check the timing on this cyl ,by chance and the height for correct amount.dunno.