Great Dorset steam fair '09

Great pics Nick and nice to see Kev Dodge in there and Andy's mv!

Is the Autocar with the box trailer unit there this year? It was there last year and when I went back to talk to the owner he had gone :(

Will be up on Sunday :)

Was there a Ward Lafrance M1A1 (open cab) as well as the closed cab M1? I was helping a chap source some parts and he was hoping to get them in time for GDSF. I never heard back so I don't know if he made it :confused:.

- Mike

Didn't see another WLF in the military section, it could have been elswhere or may be there later on

Edited by Nick Johns

Clive had some problems with the Humber Hornet enroute to GDSF, thought it was a fuel problem, when I left he'd just got the fuel filter out which was clean so further investigation was necessary

Clive was underneath it today when we went - thought best not say hello and offer my advice.........:cool2:

The 'best in show' went to a worthy winner......

here we go.........hope you like winner of the Geoff Holt Cup for Best Dorset Entry is Nigel Bartlett and his Leyland Hippo

Well done to Nigel,

Last year at Trucks & Troops, Nigel took myself and friends in the Hippo, to a pub in the New Forest, the truck is a credit to him.

Good to see Dick Sheppard in the photo as well.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Richard, well I felt a bit despondent. Visitors to steam shows over the last few decades years would feel a loss from the contribution by this lady who with her girls raised a lot of money for cancer relief.

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/news/article-7680-much-loved-dancer-has-died/

The other thing that depressed me was to hear Fred Dibnah's widow describe, that as soon as he died his workshop was broken into & vandalised.

And! Yes Nick the other thing that depressed me was conking out on top of steep hills getting there. I spent the best part of 2 days working on it, which including replacing the carb with one that worked a year ago. The trouble was this one flooded, so I dismantled & cleaned the original one & put that back again.

The good news was that it allowed me to travel uphills without stopping & as the return journey progressed the carbon on the plugs that had built up in the flooding episode got burnt off (I have just checked them).

Pepperbox Hill which is just outside Salisbury on the way there was a 1st gear 5-10mph effort. The return trip was 3rd gear only having to drop down to 25mph.

Why did it take me nearly 2 days to sort? Well apart from the irritation of the gawpers & comedians who just get in the way. You cannot leave tools on the ground otherwise they will be nicked, played with or tripped over. So the tools (3 tool boxes worth!) were in the cab, the door has to be locked to prevent ingress of children, thieves & wanabee drivers. So it rather slows things up. Many thanks to the people who clearly have suffered the same sort of problems who quietly offered help but would stay out of the way unless help was asked for.

So Jack you were probably wise to keep a safe distance. This afternoons problem was sorting out the wiring so that in the event of a breakdown I could be assured that the yellow beacon would come on with the rear lights. I was pleased that I eventually sorted it....but when I got home I found that not only had the beacon been inoperative but it's inclusion had fused all my lights!

But at least I did get home in one piece & overall it was an enjoyable event. The rain at the end was dissappointing, but it did allow an earlier exit of vehicles of all types. I got home in record time from where I was exhibiting to arriving home it was exactly 60 mins. I know it was only 26 miles, but being part of a convoy of grockles, trade & exhibitors vehicles not to mention the odd steam vehicle through rural roads I thought it was good going.