My Flying Control Jeep - The Ongoing Story

Jessie The Jeep

• 4 weeks later...

My first event of 2015, the Whitley Bay Beach Assault, which is a charity 10k cross country run and assault course on Whitley Bay sea front. We had been asked to take some vehicles along on show, together with the regular Army/TA. I took Jessie out for a short drive the day before, to check I'd sorted a slight weep from one of the water hoses. All was well, but this was the first proper long run out for Jessie since the engine rebuild. In all, six vintage MV's turned up, Jessie, an M38A1, a Ford and Willys Jeep, a Land Rover and Can Am Bombardier bike.

beach6.jpg

beach9.jpg

It was blowing a gale all day, with winds of 25mph, gusting much higher, which was shaking the vehicles on the way there as well as while parked. There were plenty of lycra clad participants standing around turning blue, waiting for their turn to start the course.

beach2.jpg

beach10.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Easter Sunday afternoon was warm, clam and the ground was dry, giving me ideal conditions for Jessie's Spring service. I checked the radiator level, but as the engine hadn't been long rebuilt, figured it would be ok. The engine oil was changed, diff oil levels checked, transfer case drained slightly and transmission checked and topped up. The old engine oil was spread out on a piece of wood and showed no signs of observable metal particles, although it was dirty.

2015_service1.jpg

Next was greasing all spring pivots, prop shafts, steering links and levers. I checked the front and rear flexi brake pipes for fractures in the rubber, and checked steering gearbox oil. The brakes all working ok with no pulling to one side, and the plug gaps were all checked at 0.035 thou, a bit over sized for the extra power of the electronic ignition unit. Finally all the lights were checked and working. Here's a short video of the first run after the service, all running well.

2015_service3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

85 military vehicles turned up for the Yorkshire MVT Crank up event at York Castle, a record number for this start of season gathering. It was a 183 mile round trip, but a great day out and good to catch up with my Yorkshire MV friends.

ymvt_crankup7.jpg

ymvt_crankup13.jpg

• 1 month later...

Herrington Park Steam Fair - May 3rd/4th

Well, day one was terrible. It was heavy rain all day and I only had the Dodge there, and hid in it all day!

herrington1.jpg

Day two was very different, with white fluffy clouds, blue sky, warm temperatures and less windy. I drove the Dodge again while Lynne drove 'Jessie', her first Jeep drive for a 18 months ( bar up and down the runway at Croft in 'Hope' last year ). Lots more vehicles turned up and hundreds of public, many having to queue around 45 minutes to get in. Other than the T.A., we were the only military vehicles there, and standing out amongst all the shiny cars and traction engines, we had quite a lot of attention from the public.

herrington5.jpg

herrington6.jpg

Durham Millenium Square - May 25th

We were requested to take a handful of vehicles to Durham's Millenium Square to support the Echo 42 Big Band who were playing there ( www.echo42.co.uk ). We had four Jeeps and a staff car on show. There were quite a lot of people coming and going, though it never looks like it from my photos, as I don't like people spoiling my vehicle pictures!

durham1.jpg

durham5.jpg

durham6.jpg

durham13.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Tanfield Railway 'Legends of Industry Gala' - June 20/21st

Since June was quiet for events, when I found out about classic cars attending the Tanfield Railway Gala, I was keen to go. Tanfield is the oldest railway in the world, dating back to 1725, a full century before the Stockton & Darlington Railway. It had been nine years since we had a Jeep at Tanfield for their last War Weekend event. This was a great chance to take both Jeeps out, and enjoy some steam engine action at the same time. It was only a 20 minute drive to East Tanfield Station where we were displaying. There were only about a dozen cars on Saturday, many of which didn't appear old enough to be called classic in my opinion, but on Sunday there was a good turnout, with many more older vehicles.

tanfield1.jpg

The Sunday line up at East Tanfield Station.

tanfield3.jpg

There were six locos running during the weekend, five steam and one diesel. Two of the steam locos were visiting Tanfield, one; "A. No.5" was from Newcastle and the other; "Mech Navvies Ltd", came all the way from Wales! This outing was also the first time out for "Hope" since the name was painted on the side.

tanfield2.jpg

tanfield5.jpg

I shot about 36 videos through my DSLR, both from the trains and on the platforms. A few were cut out due to extra loud public voices, but the rest have been compiled into a single video showing scenes from around the railway taken over both days.

The video is about 27 minutes long, so if you don't like the sight and sound of steam, move along to the next post!

The five steam locos were pulling vintage passenger coaches and one coal train. A few goods wagons were mixed in to some trains. At the back of the Marley Hill yard, where the shunting demonstration was going on, are the storage sidings. There are a number of unrestored locos, coaches and wagons laid up here.

tanfield11.jpg

This shows how some of the restorations start out.

tanfield22.jpg

The weather on Saturday was cool and damp, with a number of light showers. Sunday was much better, and while there were a couple of heavy showers, the Sun did come out and it got out quite warm out of the wind. These differing conditions created a wide range of lighting conditions for photographs.

tanfield16.jpg

As exhibitors, we were given some free travel passes which allowed us unlimited rides on the trains. While we didn't spend all day riding the rails, we did have a number of rides, stopping at some of the stations for a look around, or to just watch the trains come and go.

tanfield8.jpg

There were a few classic trucks in attendance which stayed for most of the day, while the cars seemed to arrive late and leave early. Only a few each day remained for the full day.

tanfield4.jpg

tanfield24.jpg

We packed up the Jeeps late Sunday afternoon, and headed home, clocking up about 100 miles between the two Jeeps across the two days.

The five steam locos were pulling vintage passenger coaches and one coal train. A few goods wagons were mixed in to some trains. At the back of the Marley Hill yard, where the shunting demonstration was going on, are the storage sidings. There are a number of unrestored locos, coaches and wagons laid up here.

tanfield11.jpg

This shows how some of the restorations start out.

tanfield22.jpg

Some start without the wheels. Especially after use as a henhut.

Looks like you had a good couple of days though.

• 1 month later...

I've added a big report from the Croft Nostalgia Festival on my Dodge thread, but as 'Jessie' was there too, I'll add a couple of different pictures here. We set off on Friday late morning but due to roadworks and lots of red lights, it took 90 minutes rather than the usual hour.

croft1.jpg

It took a further three hours to get both tents up, the truck and trailer unloaded, and then sort out the display and tables ready for the following day.

croft3.jpg

croft4.jpg

croft27.jpg

One of the visiting aircraft was a Bucker Bestmann, best known for its role with Donald Pleasance and James Garner in the film "The Great Escape". I was fortunate to get the opportunity of trying out the hot seat, and apart from head room being a bit limited, it was more spacious than other wartime side by side seating aircraft I've been in.

croft24.jpg

croft14.jpg

On Sunday morning, we had the military parade lap, or laps actually, as there was time for three trips around the circuit. Lynne did the driving while I was shooting images for the Croft website.

croft17.jpg

croft18.jpg

For once the weather had been kind the whole weekend, and towards the end of our packing up around 9pm, we were given a lovely sunset to finish off a fantastic weekend. We got home in darkness, and finished unloading by about 11:30pm, very tired.

croft36.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Jessie was out and about on the Sunday of the Bank Holiday. It was the annual Durham Light Infantry Museum show, a two day event, 'though I only attended one day due to rain chucking it down on Monday. We took both Jeeps, and more pictures have been added to my "I've Been Spending Again" thread. But since Jessie was there, here's a couple of different shots from the day of the M201 and GPW together.

dli4.jpg

dli3.jpg