My Flying Control Jeep - The Ongoing Story

Jessie The Jeep

It's been a while since this thread was updated, but 'Jessie the Jeep' is still active, with now around 12,000 miles on the clock since purchased in 2005. While many weekend events see the Dodge take the family out, 'Jessie' still gets out and about for one day events and road runs. For some of the local events, Lynne now drives the Jeep.

croft40.jpg

Yorkshire MVT Crank Up April 14th

crank12.jpg

RAF Scorton Memorial Dedication - September 7th

scorton2.jpg

North East Aircraft Museum Hosts the 607 Squadron Reunion and Remembrance Service - November 9/10th

neam607n.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent cold and wet weather, and being ill for most of this week, today was the first chance I had to get "Jessie" out for a check over before the Yorkshire MVT Crank Up event tomorrow. With rain showers this morning, work didn't start until after lunch, where I found the brake lights not working.

I gave up on the original pressure switch some years ago, as the 24volt system burns them out in a few months. The arcing at contact is just too severe and the contacts carbon up. I got fed up of having to bleed the brakes every switch change, so made a mod the the brake pedal with a "Normally Closed" push button switch instead. This is held in the off position until the pedal is pressed where upon the button pops out and the lights come on. These lasted longer than the pressure switch, but this too had burned out. So I set too making a new switch with two brass plates that touch each other to make contact, and an insulating blade that passes between them to cut the circuit when the pedal is at rest. Hopefully this sliding action will help to keep the contacts clean.

This took most of the afternoon, together with a check of all the fluid levels, other lights, cleaning the screen, plus much searching and cursing over some heat shrink I'd bought about two weeks ago, that had vanished into the workshop somewhere! By early evening, everything was done, so I went for a quick test drive and fuel up for tomorrow. It was the first run out for the Jeep since the Remembrance event at the aircraft museum in November.

With my newly restored '43 GPW getting so much attention, I had to make sure 'Jessie' wasn't forgotten; especially today. Nine years ago today, Lynne and I drove to Scotland to William Bone's garage and collected Jessie for the trip back to Washington. So to mark Jessie's 9th Birthday, here's a couple of pictures of her as found.

jeep1.jpg

jeep3.jpg

• 3 months later...

Back in April, the Yorkshire Crank Up event didn't go quite as planned. I got about 20 miles from home and the electronic ignition unit failed. There were two loud misfires, and then it cut out dead and wouldn't restart. This is how I came home; most annoyed. Ironic that it was the only modern part of the Jeep that failed. I couldn't get any spark out of it, but after fitting points and a condenser from the Ford, it ran fine.

crankup.jpg

With a replacement electronic unit fitted, the engine was test run and was fine again.

From April until now, I've been using the Dodge for events and test running the Ford GPW, gradually giving that longer runs. So until recently, Jessie hadn't been out again. It was a hot sunny morning on July 12th, when I set off for Spitfire on the Green at Sedgefield, about 30 miles away. I got south of Durham when the engine missed a couple of times, particularly at high rpm and under load. The misfiring began to occur more frequently and at 15 miles from home, I gave up and turned around to try for home.

By keeping the rpm low where possible and dumping the clutch and revving the engine each time the misfires occurred, I managed to drive home despite the problem. Once home, I discovered the coil was very hot, too hot to touch, which wasn't a good sign.

Unfortunately being a Hotchkiss Jeep, the electrics and coil are 24 volt, and after a search of the net and a phone around, they seem to be hard to find. For the time being, I'm going to switch back to points ignition, and I've ordered a 12 volt coil that I'm going to rig up independently from the rest of the 24 volt electrics. That will hopefully keep Jessie running for the Croft event in a few weeks time.

A couple of days ago, I swapped the ignition system to 12v and points. Today was test drive day and I am now completely honked off with vehicle electrics. Jessie the Jeep is still having ignition problems, and after a full day working to fix the problem, all I have achieved is to burn two and a half gallons of petrol for no gain. All I did manage was to clock 12,000 miles since April 2005 ( Oh, and several burns and lacerations ).

I've changed the condenser three times, the points, the coil, dizzy cap, bypassed the ignition switch, stripped and cleaned the carburettor, checked plugs and gaps, even added 15ltrs of new fuel in case of a bad batch. Still misfiring intermittently. All that is left to do would be to pinch the plugs and ignition leads from the Ford GPW and see if that makes a difference, but as it looks like it may rain, that will have to wait. There's nothing else to try.

At this rate, Jessie will be getting trailered to Croft, and Lynne will have to drive the Ford GPW.

Fuel issues would seem to be the next port of call, but before you start on that can of worms (this may seem to be well left field but there is a specific reason for me asking) before you move away from the ignition system just check the distributor base plate is secure.

Pete

As I said previously, the carburettor has already been stripped and cleaned. The fuel pump is working fine, and there was no dirt in any of the filters. Dizzy has been apart a number of times to swap parts, is all is secure in there, the timing adjustment bolt is tight, so that isn't creeping.

90 to 95% of each test drive is smooth and without problems, plenty of power, but every so often, it throws a wobbler for two or three seconds, then returns to normal.

The only thing not changed so far is the plugs and leads, today's job if the rain keeps away.

This morning tried different plugs, different leads, different distributor, still the same. Mis-firing and exhaust note machine gunning. I've now replaced every component in the ignition system. The Firewall fuel filter has been emptied and cleaned, carb was done yesterday, fuel pump is pumping fine, but about to check that and air filter for obstructions.

Also checked all the valves are moving and they are.

So, fuel pump apart, valves checked for flow and cleaned, air filter apart and checked, oil is fresh. No dirt or blockages in either. Still no better. Decide to try the 24v coil again, but on points ignition, and it seems to work now!?! I tried this before with no luck. Now I've just completed a 16 mile drive at 50mph, with the rain belting down all around, and it didn't miss a beat.

Whether in all my cleaning I've dislodged something causing an obstruction, or whether something was loose and leaking in air; I don't know, but for the moment, it is magically working again; and I hate not knowing what it was!

Petrol is almost gone again, but I could do with a refill and more test driving before Croft; but not today. I've been lucky that the weather has been warm and sunny all of yesterday and all of today up until the last test drive. I've done 70 miles of test driving of Jessie in the last two days, not to mention the spanner juggling, and that was after half a day previously changing the two front springs on the Ford - I'm tired, where's that kettle?

Perhaps, but I've only had one vapour lock problem in 12000 miles driving, and that was after a long hot trip ( 120miles ) to Elvington, then idled chatting to someone for several mins, stalled as I put the gas on to pull away and wouldn't restart until cool.

Time will tell.

It's been a frustrating two days, and I'm still none the wiser as to why it all happened? That's what is most annoying.

Given that you have checked and rechecked everything else and you are experiencing loss of power with increased exhaust noise it's possible that you have an exhaust valve problem which could be..... badly worn or incorrect set tappet adjuster, valve sticking in the guide, broken spring, burnt/damaged seat and valve, .

I had the last problem on a Land Rover engine that gave an intermittent loss of power and popping at the exhaust which steadily got worse as the valve/seat burnt at that stage a compression test showed it up. You could also try connecting a vacuum gauge to you PCV port on the inlet manifold and see what that tells you. Some excellent diagnostic data on the web that will help with interpreting the readings.

One other thing........what carb have you got fitted? Carter or Solex?

Pete

I don't think the valves are sticking. I checked them all for movement this morning, turning the engine slowly by hand, and if one were to stick, I would expect it to happen with slow movement. They were all reset only 1200 miles ago, so I suspect the gaps are still ok. I've haven't done a compression test for a while, but on the last run this afternoon, everything was running normally, so if they were sticking or gapped wrong, the problem should have persisted.

I'll do a comp test tomorrow.