Jessie The Jeep

My Flying Control Jeep

A number of other vehicles were on display, including an Austin Tilly, three Airborne Jeeps, the Royal Navy bomb disposal group and a Jeep from the East Yorks Regiment. There were also several civilian cars and a bus.

elvington25.jpg

elvington26.jpg

elvington27.jpg

elvington62.jpg

Late on Saturday, all the RAF re-enactors gathered at the tower to re-create a VE Day photograph from Elvington, posted on the YAM Facebook page. I got one quick photo of most of the re-enactors in place, before joining them for another press picture. Unfortunately, nobody was allowed on the top of the tower. 

The original wartime image can be found at this link, hosted on Facebook - https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/60121060_2172528626116492_3242847574318645248_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-2.fna&oh=b5643ef60fedfebfce86c2fec235d5a6&oe=5D5A032B

elvington39.jpg

Once the balcony emptied, I climbed up for a quick top view of the Halifax and my camp.

elvington42.jpg

elvington41.jpg

Once the public left at the end of the day, and most of the re-enactors had gone to eat, I took "Jessie" back to the Halifax to do another photo shoot of my own. The view through the back window of the Jeep was edited to create the effect of the Halifax engines running. Unfortunately, due to the position of a small wood near the T2 hangar, the strange orange evening light of the sun set was shielded from the Halifax.

elvington52.jpg

elvington50.jpg

Sunday began with an atmospheric mist over the airfield and another opportunity to catch the Halifax in a different light.

elvington58.jpg

elvington60.jpg

The mist soon burned away to give a very hot day, with little wind to provide cooling. Both days saw a good turnout from the public and everyone seemed to enjoy the weekend. The museum was very pleased with the way it went and have confirmed the dates for 2020.

Further images can be seen on the event page of my Jeep website - http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2019/elvington.htm

• Like 2