My Flying Control Jeep - The Ongoing Story

Jessie The Jeep

No problems at all. It was a 164 mile round trip to York, but I haven't sorted the photos yet. It was a nice sunny day with a good turnout, but there was a bit of a cool breeze when the Sun went behind a cloud. Radiator level was completely unchanged by the time I got home.

Thats great news, as always looking forward to your photo's.

Yorkshire MVT Crank Up to Tower Gardens, York - April 17th

The Crank Up was the first show of the year, and not in the usual location. Normally we meet on the green next to York Castle. However this year, the council double booked the site with a load of Scout, Guides and Brownies groups, so the green was unavailable. Within sight of the castle is Tower Gardens, a small park overlooked by the tower. This was our 2016 display location, in amongst the trees.

It was a nice sunny day, but with a cool breeze. My drive started at 08:10, heading south on the A167 to a layby near Croft Circuit to meet the beginnings of the Northern convoy, Maurice in his RAF Hillman staff car. A little further and we picked up an MB and M38A1 and a bike at Northallerton. While waiting there, there were normal cars passing with snow on their roofs. We drove in our convoy of five, almost all the way, until being separated by traffic lights in York. However, we all found the site and parked up.

york2.jpg

york3.jpg

york17.jpg

york13.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

• 1 month later...

Frontline - Sedgefield - June 11th

The weekend of June 11/12th saw two events taking place locally. I was interested in both, so opted to do a day at each. Saturday saw us taking both Jeeps to a new event called 'Frontline', located in Sedgefield. It was a multi-period event featuring re-enactors including WW2, American Civil War, Tudor, Roman and several other periods in history.

It was a huge site with a large arena for demonstrations and battles. The poor forecast probably kept some people away, but there was also another large non-military event locally the same weekend to split the public. While the weather was dull, it stayed fairly dry throughout the day. The show has huge potential, so hopefully it at least breaks even to return for another year.

I'm updating my M201 and GPW threads with the same report, but ading diffferent pictures in each.

sedgefield1.jpg

sedgefield6.jpg

sedgefield8.jpg

sedgefield11.jpg

Tanfield Railway Legends of Industry - June 12th

This was the second year of attending the Legends of Industry event at Tanfield Railway. Once again, we took both Jeeps on display at East Tanfield Station, and in return were given free tickets to ride the trains. As with last year, there were two guest locomotives, "Sir Berkley" and a US Transportation Corps S100 0-6-0 Tank engine. A number of these locos were shipped to the UK in 1943 and used after the war. The guest loco was remarked for the event as NCB No 35. There were only a small number of other cars on display as there was also a big car show in Sunderland the same day.

tanfield1.jpg

tanfield3.jpg

tanfield7.jpg

tanfield10.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Fishburn Airfield - July 1st - Pre Fly-In Photoshoot

The day before the Fishburn Fly/Drive-In, I took 'Jessie' down to the airfield in the hope of a photoshoot along with the Harvard that was flying in late in the afternoon. I got there a little before noon, and while waiting, a 47 Sqn C130 from Brize Norton flew over. I was pleasantly surprised by the bright fin markings. It was around 16:00 hours when the Harvard finally arrived giving a small aerobatic display before landing. Soon after, I got the chance to take the Jeep out onto the live side to get some pictures.

It was quite dull to start with, so the C130 shot was a big crop of a dull picture, lightened quite a bit to show the squadron markings.

fishburn_fri1.jpg

fishburn_fri5.jpg

fishburn_fri7.jpg

fishburn_fri10.jpg

Fishburn Airfield Fly/Drive-In - July 2nd

In the main, the Fishburn event was dry and bright, but there was a very strong wind and scattered showers around the rest of the country, that kept many flying visitors away. There were some aircraft flying and others on static display. There were also a good number of classic cars in addition to the military vehicles. Overall, the event seemed to go well, and hopefully will be repeated again next year.

fishburn1.jpg

fishburn6.jpg

fishburn17.jpg

fishburn19.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Breighton 1940's Summer Fly/Drive-In - July 16/17th

The 2016 fly-in was a great weekend, with sunny weather, warm winds and loads of flying. As usual, we arrived on Friday evening, set up the tent and took Jessie for a drive around the airfield. The good weather brought plenty of visitors, both aircraft and Real Aeroplane Club members.

breighton004.jpg

breighton007.jpg

The Saturday night party had the "Mood Swings" trio, disco and stand up comedians. A number of people had been promised goes of Jessie, and by the time many of the pilots and members had driven up and down the taxiway, Jessie had clocked up 13 miles!

breighton024.jpg

These two Austers and the Bestmann were all rebuilt to airworthiness by Tony Brier. Sunday morning was the first time all three aircraft had been seen together.

breighton018.jpg

breighton035.jpg

I took around 450 photos, thinned down to 100 for my website. Only a tiny selection are posted here. For the full report, see - http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2016/breighton.htm

Having had a long interest in the U.S. 8th Army Air Force, it was a fantastic experience to fly in the 1942 built, Ryan PT-22 Recruit. It was one of the primary U.S. trainers from WW2. I was only expecting a short flight around as a passenger, but it was a great thrill to fly the aircraft myself, and then for my first landing in any aircraft, to be a WW2 era trainer.

Chute on, strapped in, and forward visibility is somewhat restricted.

ryan02.jpg

ryan03.jpg

ryan08.jpg

ryan15.jpg

Here's the start up and take off. After that, I didn't take any more pictures as I was too busy flying the aircraft!

Here's a few more pictures, but for the full report, see - http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2016/ryan.htm

Low pass and break into the landing circuit....

ryan24.jpg

ryan27.jpg

Approach and landing. I was very pleased with myself, as it was smooth and right down the centre of the strip.

ryan29.jpg

ryan30.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Croft Nostalgia - August 4th ~ 8th

For the 2016 show, I decided to take all three vehicles on display, M201, GPW and WC51. I've put a larger write up on my Dodge thread, so will just add a few pictures here. For more pictures and a longer report, see my website page of the event - http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2016/croft.htm

croft4.jpg

croft17.jpg

croft3.jpg

Cheers! I have two Chipmunk memories. One was flying one from RAF Leeming with the Air Cadets around 1983. The other was getting stuck down the back of the rear fuselage on one doing an annual inspection. Easy to crawl down to the back, checking the cables, but then my elbows got stuck/wedged by one of the fuselage formers. It took quite a bit of effort to wriggle free!

• 2 weeks later...

Durham Gala Theatre - August 20th

The display at Durham, next to the Gala Theatre, was part of the City's "Spirit of the 1940's" event. Our vehicle display was part of a number of 1940's themed displays around Durham City. Despite the predicted heavy rain all day, it stayed dry until about 2pm. 'Jessie' was parked closer to the entrance to the pedestrian area to draw the attention of passers by. We were eventually cleared to leave around 3:30pm, and had a wet run all the way home. Within about a mile of home, 'Hope' clocked up 500 miles since completion of the restoration.

durham2.jpg

durham5.jpg

durham10.jpg

durham13.jpg