My Flying Control Jeep - The Ongoing Story

Jessie The Jeep

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I'm off work tomorrow. I'll start putting a how to together, tools, techniques, materials etc!!

Steve

Thats awfuly kind of you old chap,:tup::

The radio is all fitted now, and looks fantastic in the back of the Jeep. The wooden base was designed to lift the radio up in the Jeep to make it more visible, but it also allowed a neat storage area under it that holds a couple of bottles of water for the Jeep radiator, some fuel additive and a container with the side door screws in. Having the radio hinge like this also allows access to the rear locker located under the end of the radio. Just need to look out for an aerial and mount now.

fc15.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tinkering with the Jeep again, this time with an Aldis Lamp I got from Bodge ( after all, he has three already ). It was tatty and had spots of rust coming through so it got a good rub down, clean up, re-paint, during which I found the buried Air Ministry number on it. While it is of British manufacture, we have a picture of a US Flying Control trailer with one of these resting inside the clear nose on top of the trailer.

fc14.jpg

There was no bulb with the lamp, and the fitting was a rather odd size and shape, so I spent this morning machining an aluminium adaptor to fit into the bulb holder allowing a modern 24v bulb to fit as these are readily available.

fc13a.jpg

After lunch, I made a little power supply panel fitted just below my radio where the lamp plugs in on a 1/4 inch jack plug. It runs from the 24v Jeep batteries. I then fitted a mount to the roof bow of the jeep to fasten the lamp to when not in use.

fc15a.jpg

Steve

Spent all day doing odds and ends on the Jeep. There were a few little cosmetic jobs that needed attention. Firstly I've cut the registration brackets and put a bolt in so it will fold horizontally behind the bumper so it can't be seen in photographs. It also stops me from banging my head on the sharp edge when working under the Jeep.

reg1.jpg

reg2.jpg

Another little job that I've finally got around to is removing the Hotchkiss Screen Clamp spacers. They were fitted many years ago when the Jeep was converted to electric wipers. The wipers had the metal loops fitted to the screen to protect the wipers when the screen was folded down, but as a result, the clamps had to be extended to reach. There were also some small metal loops under these bolt heads, that had previously been used for strapping stuff down to the hood. They were removed at the same time.

clamp1.jpg

clamp2.jpg