Normandy 2009 appeal

ArtistsRifles

Got this tonight from the association and thought it was a worthwhile cause. Posted it here in case anyone else agrees and would like to support the effort.

D-Day Anniversary 2009 - Normandy Veterans

It is estimated that 1,000 D-Day veterans across the UK would wish to attend the 65th Anniversary Commemorations in Normandy in June 2009, but with the soaring cost of living and no government grants, it is simply out of reach of many of our remaining veterans.

Many of the D-Day veterans are in their 80's and 2009 is the last time they will visit Normandy in meaningful numbers. They will tell you how important it is to them, not only to meet up with their surviving comrades, but to have a chance to pay their respects to those who did not make it home, of whom there are thousands.

The Normandy veterans Association has launched a fundraising campaign to raise £300,000, this would pay for the £400 costs per veteran for those who did wish to travel.

We are helping the Normandy veterans Association with their PR for this event and in other ways, but if you can help in any way, by sponsoring a veteran or in any other way, please contact them.

If you can help, please contact:

Mary Mills-Brown

Friends of the Normandy Veterans Association

22 Shipbourn Road

Tonbridge

TN10 3DN

01732 361149

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

come on folks dig deep if every body makes a donation it may not reach £300000 but every little helps and clearly the government no longer care about our veterans or our history.I for one will be in Normandy next year and would hate to not see the vets there

It has to be our duty to do this.

Thanks for the post Neil and this is something that I have thought about for a while.

I don't ever read newspaper but someone gave me this story last month - think it was in the Telegraph...so I read it and I sat here and thought something needs to be doen about it.

Mrs Beckett told me to get off my arse and get something done about it so I called the Friends of the Normandy Veterans Association and left a message. They did kindly get back to me but I haven't had the time of late to sit down and work something out - something HMVF can do.

So here is what I think we should/could do:

We (HMVF)should 'adopt' some veterans that are paid for by us. For every £400 we can raise/donate we can get these heros to Normandy - this isn't a big ask.

I am publically going to state that I will personally donate £400 to get one of these guys there. I do not expect folks to follow that but we can as a group find another £400 to make sure that another vet gets to Normandy. Perhaps we give ourselves a target to reach - £4000 = 10 vets.

HMVF has a bank account and can post the amount we recieve with a daily running total. All of this can be done.

I am no organiser in this sense so we need to setup some sort of steering group or something like.

I will give this some more thought but I am not around again today but please discuss what we can do or ideas that we can use to make sure we make a difference and to make sure we give something back.

Lets do something that we can all be proud of.

Jack.

Well done guys :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Agree with you Jack about adopting Veterans, I will donate some money (would love to match yours Jack but alas cant) please can you let me know bank details as soon as its all up and running :)

You are a star Rosie and welcome aboard and all we have to do is look at it as a 'couple' of gallons of fuel as and when we can afford to do so.

I am going to discuss this with the rest of the team as they are more methodical than I so we can get this right first time around.

Ok what we can do is for every £400 raised send it direct to NVA.

I would like to have the names and details of the men that we can sponser. We can ask for thier pictures their stories and memories and may be meet them in Normandy and keep their stories on here for ever.

How special would that would be.

I thought this was a nice offer. A few more wealthy people making that sort of offer would be nice. Time to get writing to the rich and famous I think. Worth a try anyway.
OMG what a lovely gesture, he deserves a knighthood in my eyes. What a top bloke

Due to a severe problem in the cash dept(I'm Skint) much as I would love to be in Normandy next year I can see no prospect of it and for the same reason a large donation to this fund is also out of the question.

However I have a Bialaddin 300X pressure lamp to sell and would be happy to put this up for auction on here, all proceeds to the fund. Any offers?:-D

Seriously intrested in that lamp! It would join the rest at Normandy next year. Last time I was there for the 60th, I was honoured to be able to ferry some of the vetran's about in the Dodge, and a right wild bunch they were! One of them said to me in quiet moment 'Thanks mate, I've enjoyed being here, I won't be around for the next one'. Sadly he died six months later.

Seriously intrested in that lamp! It would join the rest at Normandy next year.

Make an offer then, I have a reserve price in mind and if it does not reach that on here I reserve the right to withdraw it and sell it elsewhere but with the same object in mind.

This is awesome chaps (and Rosie) I am working on something with Bodge at the mo and will report back next week with some thoughts/direction.

I will speak to the NVA tomorrow to see how we best work this and will report back.

Great stuff.

Jack.

This is awesomoe support guys and many thanks.

I will have a clearer picture after I speak with the NVA next week and please keep the ideas coming on how we can do this.

I also like the idea of having and lovely range of clothing - bit like the American vets wear, nice jackets etc etc. Bodge and I will speakon Monday and come up with some sort of NVA & HMVF logo/crest that can go on the clothing, caps with the dates and what we are doing and why etc etc. Anything we do like this I will get a discount or contribution from the company - perhaps we should have a sponser page on here?

Something that we can be proud of wearing something that we can all keep forever.

D-Day Revisited - I want us to be a part of that.