Sterling SMG

M.Rimmer

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the circumstances in which the Sterling SMG was carried by British troops during the 1965 to 75 period? was it on general issue to all troops or only carried by those with specific roles or certain units?.

The reason I'm asking is the rifle brackets on the dash of my 1965 FFR Landy have been moved while in service from the positions for carrying an SLR to the centre of the dash and the spacing suggests it was so a Sterling could be carried. I have not seen this modification on other Landys of the period.

Thanks,

Matt.

Thanks MTman! It could have been RMP,until I get the records from Deepcut,if they exist,I don't know. The strange thing is at some point early in it's service it has been painted pink! no idea why but obviously not applied as a primer.

Matt.

Hi,

Could this be "Desert" pink?

Or perhaps it was issued to "THEM"!:shake:

RLC Museum records are a bit basic, there is a private guy, trades as FMW and does a very comprehensive research job for £30. Did mine for me in about 10 days, his contact details:

FMW

PO Box 6817

Bridport

DT6 9BG.

e-mail: freemil@btinternet.com

Answers to Geoff Fletcher.

(I have no conection to FMW other than as a satisfied customer).

Good luck with the search, I think its half the fun of owning an ex-military vehicle!:-D

MTMan

RAC were issued SMG as personal weapon. SLR was only issued:

1. either to support troops (variously called Assault Troop or Surveillance Troop during this period, one per sabre squadron. The Orbat for these support troops did not include Land Rovers.)

2. on tours of NI where the allocation of SLR / SMG approximated to that of the Infantry, though the smaller OrBat of the RAC regiment meant that while there were as many SMGs issued to Troop leaders and NCOs, there were fewer rifles on the OrBat.

Memory suggests to me that in BAOR, no RAC Land Rover was intended to carry troops issued with SLR (unless attached REME modified theirs).

I'd guess that outside of infantry (and maybe inside the infantry) it was more normal for an FFR to have SMG mounts than SLR mounts, simply because Land Rover crews were more likely to be Officers and NCOs than grunts, who would be in bigger cattle trucks (four tonners, APCs, etc). Where a sub-unit commander (a Major) was driven by a private rank, the private might have an SLR as personal weapon, but most Majors would choose a Lance Corporal to drive them, who could be expected to carry an SMG.

Personally, I read absolutely nothing into SMG mounts in your vehicle. It is more likely than not IMCO.

Cheers guys,I will get the history search done asap. The "pink" has thrown me as by how and where it;s been applied it was obviously intended as a top coat rather than a primer,in fact there are two layers of pink one over the other and each a different shade. I'm afraid it's going to end up in deep bronze green,I don't fancy driving a pink Landy!

Matt.

how many layers down was the pink? because it might be that who ever bought it when it came out of the army may have had a weird sense of humour.

as for the Sterling its been answered above lol but you know you should get an SLR lol

The paint layers on the Landy are(starting with the earliest)

Factory Deep Bronze Green.

Pink(very dark,almost red)

Pink,much lighter shade.

Olive green.

Olive green.

Gloss brown(applied by first civvy owner)

Gloss green(applied by third civvy owner).

I will eventually be looking for a deact SLR and Sterling.

Thanks all for the replies and informaton.

Matt.

Pink(very dark,almost red)

Pink,much lighter shade.

Olive green.

Your'e sure the first wasn't red oxide primer to make green coming along after stick and the second "much lighter shade" wasn't the surface of the red oxide primer that lightened when sanded or left so long in the sunlight before the application of green that it faded right down?

Cynical? Moi?

I found what sounds the same layer of 'pink' on top of the original coat of paint on my lightweight. It looked to me like a layer of primer before the IRR green. I certainly hope that's what it is as there is no way I'm driving a pink Landy!! :rotfl:

Sue

sounds like the oxide primer to me, and i would only drive a pink landy if it had lots anf lots of guns that way its a manly pink......SAS pinky drivers dont only wear the shemagh for dust but to keep there identities safe lol

It could well be a primer,but the reason I say not it it's over everything,bumpers,grill,light mountings etc but the olive green is properly sprayed on the body panels only. The pink was obviously applied when the unit markings were mounted on the bumper as there is a clear outline of the two square panels.

The only exception to the above is the bonnet which was DBG followed by black applied by brush which has then had olive green sprayed over it,no sign of pink anywhere on the bonnet.

Ps I have NO intention of driving a pink LR,even if it turns out it was that colour in service!

Matt.

• 1 year later...

In our unit (Para) the Signallers carried them due to carrying a lot of weight with the A41 radio and murphy carrier and spare battery etc.

The MFC's also carried them or their oppos depending who carried the radio -mainly was a single MFC per company with main one at Bn HQ alongside Arty FOO party

Almost everyone else carried the SLR or GPMG. Some attached arms NCOs carried them as they were predominately vehicle borne.

Gary

• 1 month later...
As to the use of the SMG - Signals technicians carried them as a personal weapons. We also had them in NI - but everyone, including technicians, preferred the relative comfort of an SLR.

The Sterling was in general, a standard issue for L/Cpl's & above. In Infantry Regt's, Most people used SLR's as thier primary weapon. The SMG was also issued to Signalers, drivers, NCO's (In general) Etc.

It was a case of at least you were armed with something!

Pistols were a different matter. Major's & above. RSM's were a personal choice of pistol or SMG. R.E.M.E ARV & bridging Tanks Drivers were also a strangely selected choice.Certain tasking levels for the R.M.P were also eligable . Although all arms were trained to use the Pistol, it was in MOST units a very small issue item. 6 in general. It vaired a lot, so it's difficult to pin down EXACTLY what was what! But the general rules listed above when encoutered, were true.

Mike. :red:

The Sterling was in general, a standard issue for L/Cpl's & above. In Infantry Regt's, Most people used SLR's as thier primary weapon. The SMG was also issued to Signalers, drivers, NCO's (In general) Etc.

It was a case of at least you were armed with something!

Pistols were a different matter. Major's & above. RSM's were a personal choice of pistol or SMG. R.E.M.E ARV & bridging Tanks Drivers were also a strangely selected choice.Certain tasking levels for the R.M.P were also eligable . Although all arms were trained to use the Pistol, it was in MOST units a very small issue item. 6 in general. It vaired a lot, so it's difficult to pin down EXACTLY what was what! But the general rules listed above when encoutered, were true.

Mike. :red:

Basically what he said.

RMP used SMG as personal weapon. I did 88 days' reckonable RMP service and we were trained in SMG and 9 Milly as alternative personal weapon only. I didn't see an SLR until I joined the RAC where it was alternative personal weapon.

In an RAC regiment essentially everyone carries an SMG, including RSM, apart from Assault Troop or whatever it is called at the time. Memory is screaming at me that CO 15/19H (Lt. Col.) used to carry an SMG (which was surely for preference) while QMs (Technical and Boots&Socks) (Majors) carried pistols (because they were old and bold and non-combat. IIRC QM 12 Armd Wksp went further and carried a wooden replica pistol so that he didn't have to clean (or have a member of his staff clean) it after exercise.

• 1 year later...
so....:-|... in the RAC everyone carries a sub machine gun?...bugger me..:shocked:

...I won't be calling them out to change a flat tyre again then..

I'll be sticking with the AA ....far friendlier chaps!...:-D:cool2::-D:cool2:

With my experience of the AA, what makes you think they'll be able to FIND you? Let alone fix anything. :banghead: :angry