Armstrong MT500 / HD MT350

MTMan

Has anyone experience of the MT (500 or 350) in use in combat?

When purchased mine had sand in the hollow parts of the frame and "Sand" paint on bits the repaint had missed.

It carried 58 KG 60 and was used by 174 PRO Coy RMP.

58 KG 78 was used by 8 SQN (27 Transport Regiment RCT/RLC) and lived a much quieter life.

Any information appreciated.

When i was in the RAF on TCW (Tactical Communications Wing) the Tactical Air Traffic Controllers TACATC had a couple, if they werent para dropped into position, they went off the back of a Hercules with bikes, i seem to remember they had the Harley built version. They have been on operations in most of the bust ups since Gulf War 1.

Their tough these RAF Types!

And I thought Jumping with a parachute was dangerous:sweat:Having a B****y great Harley Davidson realy puts it into context.

Curiosity gets the better of me, why did Air Traffic Controllers need motorcycles? (apart from the sheer fun of it). Also did they have panniers and gun box as per Army?

• 2 weeks later...

hi. I can't tell you about your bike specifically but there's quite a few members in our club that are serving or are ex-serviceman, we have a few members that race the bikes for the army too. They may be able to help (although 2 are out on pre-deployment op at the mo).

Cheers

Simon

http://www.mtridersclub.co.uk

Their tough these RAF Types!

And I thought Jumping with a parachute was dangerous:sweat:Having a B****y great Harley Davidson realy puts it into context.

Curiosity gets the better of me, why did Air Traffic Controllers need motorcycles? (apart from the sheer fun of it). Also did they have panniers and gun box as per Army?

The bikes had panniers and the gun box, in addition to the usual webbing radios etc, they had kit to test the density of the proposed strip, and deploy the temporary runway markers, all a bit quicker on wheels!