Ward La France Gallery

Thanks John,

I had not read the TM properly before - I'd always assumed the spare parts box was stored under the seat as on a GMC but now I look it does indeed say 'right side crane frame'. When you have time could you please post a more detailed photo?

Regarding the pins, I'll let you know. They only need to be replaced if the axle ones have come loose in their castings, or if the ones on the chassis brackets have worn (or if the nuts won't come undone or destroy their threads when un-doing!)

- MG

Mike;

I will work on the picture(s) The pins look tight, but if they are available, better to be safe than sorry. Let me know if you need any other detail pictures.

John

Edited by 42 chevy

Hello all;

Could some post pictures of the top installed on open cab Ward LaFrance. My truck came with a new canvas cover in box with no instructions. Reading the TM's were not much help

Thanks in advance

John G

These pictures of the spare parts box mounted on the wrecker frame were taken at the request of Mike Gillman. I also took a picture of the wrecker bed with camo netting and the small CO 2 extinguisher on the right side of the wrecker frame

John G

IMGP1860.jpg

IMGP1861.jpg

IMGP1862.jpg

IMGP1863.jpg

IMGP1864.jpg

At the request of several people, I have posted pictures of the tool boxes on the series 5. I have the bench vise but I do not know what toolbox it goes in, the TM does not state it on the list of tools carried, however, it is listed in the ORD 9. I have to make the bracket for it. It would seem logical, that the the vise would be unbolted from the base bracket to ease storing it in a toolbox. Any ideas?

I also included a shot of the cab and the left side of the engine.

John G

IMGP1865.jpg

IMGP1866.jpg

IMGP1867.jpg

IMGP1868.jpg

IMGP1870.JPG

IMGP1871.JPG

IMGP1874.jpg

IMGP1877.JPG

IMGP1878.JPG

Edited by 42 chevy

• 1 month later...

John,

Congratulations on your purchase, the contents of the lockers could be straight out of the TM's!

The spares box still intrigues me as none of the trucks I have immediate access to have any holes or evidence of anything having being mounted there. I was talking to another owner recently about this and a number of other detail points that differ between trucks. We concluded that although they were a standardised vehicle, there must have been numerous variations introduced on the production line during the run.

Regarding the vice, it certainly couldn't have lived in its bracket as it would have stuck out the side by about a foot! Also, the triangular bracket on the locker is clearly designed for rapid installation and removal. I doubt it would have been kept in the rear body as it would have been exposed to the weather so it must have lived in a locker.

- MG

As mentioned previously, prior to purchasing this truck, I had driven it at Kevin Kronlund's annual fall parties for for 3 years. It never ran 100 % as we suspected stale gas. Well 2 weeks ago, the gas was drained and our suspicions were confirmed. Fresh gas and spark plugs were put in. She ran better but still had a miss. Carb was adjusted, point gap checked, still no improvement. The following week we went ahead with a valve adjustment and the problem was located. The number 4 intake valve was frozen shut along with a bent pushrod. So the head was removed and was taken to the machine shop. The machinist's first question was "Did this truck sit a lot" which we told him yes. The ethonal gas crystalized around the valve guide. No damage was found, the head was hot tanked along with the water distribution manifold. 2 days later we picked up the head. A new pushrod was sourced from Monte's equipment. The head was reinstalled and she runs like a swiss watch now. When I get the pictures from my friend, I will post them of the work done. A forklift made easy work of the job.

Question: How long does it take to change all the gear oils and grease the truck. Well we did it in 6 hours!

John G

Edited by 42 chevy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi TTM,

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting the photo. Could you post a photo of the front end too as I'm interested to see the brushguard and radiator?

Regards - MG

This was February 2011. Did I get some pics? No. How slack of me. My apologies.

So here are a few pics.

A front view of the flat-topped radiator grille. The KW whiffle tree can also be seen. The front is non-original in that the radiator, brush guard, winch and bumper have been moved forward about 4" to fit an oversize engine.

M1A1 KW Details c.JPG

A side view of the flat-topped radiator shell.

M1A1 KW Details b.JPG

Other differences I have noticed is in the tool boxes. Here is the handle/catch arrangement for the lower side KW tool box.

M1A1 KW Details d.JPG

And the tool boxes under the crane are very different to many pics I have seen.

M1A1 KW Details a.JPG

Strangely, TM9-796 shows these KW tool boxes. Since there were many more WLFs than KWs, I would have expected that the manual would show WLF pics, but not so.

John, looking at your pics of the inside of the long box and the box on top of the crane, I suspect that the inside partitions are also different between WLF and KW.

Again, my apologies of not replying to you request.

Happy New Year,

Sam.

Sam;

I was rereading the TM the other night , specifically the tool allocations and their locations and mentioned are the toolboxes under the boom. My truck has tool lockers for the ropes and a quite different arrangement then your truck, so looking at your pictures it is starting to make sense.

The pictures I posted of the Ward towing the boat is Jeff Jensen's truck. He launches and recovers this boat twice a year. It is stored next to his shop.

John

Edited by 42 chevy

John,

As there has been some discussion previously about the 'correct' M1A1 vise and bracket, could you please post a pic or two of the vise and bracket that came with your truck?

Do you believe them to be original issue?

Thanks.

Sam.

• 2 weeks later...
is this a W L F guys?

Hi,

I don't think so; if it is, it's very very modified.

I think it's a commercial truck of some sort although there are some oddities such as the exhaust coming out of the top of the bonnet, and the bumper and brush guard. It might also have a front winch hidden under the guard below the front bumper. It seems to have wartime NDT tyres on the front but looks to not have front wheel drive.

- MG

• 2 weeks later...

Here are pictures of the process of reinstalling the head after it was removed because of a stuck intake valve and bent pushrod. In one picture you will see a stamping on top of the block of 01-15-50 (rebuild date?) . A forklift made an easy job of reinstalling the head:).

block after cleaning.jpg

engine prior to head reinstall.jpg

getting ready to install head.jpg

head reinstalled on series 5.jpg

intake manifold reinstalled.jpg

stamping found on block.jpg

stuck #4 intake valve.jpg