Leyland Martian Gallery

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else seen what I think is a Martian standing in a field just south of J24 on the Northbound carriageway of the M5? It's behind a garage and looks in fairly good nick, but I can't get a good look as I'm always driving. It's painted white but when I came past last time it seems trees have started to grow through it.:cry: A good project for someone.....

Has anyone else seen what I think is a Martian standing in a field just south of J24 on the Northbound carriageway of the M5?

Indeed, it has been there for some time. I don't go down that way very often but I recall seeing it there about 10 years ago. From a distance it looks very restorable but close up it might be a different matter.

The Leyland you've seen belongs to Mr Ted Tucker trading as "Land Rover Man" whose business can be accessed from the A361 Glastonbury road just past Walford Cross on the A38.

In its hayday, Mr Tucker used it for commercial recovery off the A38 (pre M5) trading as Hamilton Motors. The original crane was replaced by a twin boom Holmes and as far as I remember the hydraulic spade has been removed from the back as well.

Although it doesn't look too bad from the M5, all that remains is hundreds of starving metal beetles holding hands. The cab is pretty well shot and beyond saving I'd say and it hasn't run in thirty years at least. It was unceremoniously pushed down the field a number of years ago to make way for loads of Landrovers. Unless you really need some axle bits, I wouldn't think it was worth any more than scrap. Knowing Mr Tucker -- it'll be gold plated scrap! so don't ask!

Thanks adrian and Scott for the info. Just a shame that another is being left to rot when it could be useful to someone. Like you say, some people want a fortune to sell and the vehicle just disappears into a heap of rust :cry:

There's another Leyland parked on the side of the road outside "Squeaky Orchard's" yard just north of St Austell -- I'm sure I've got a picture somewhere!

I'll have a look and post it with a map reference

David Crouch has one of the best Martians I have seen for a long time in his yard, ready to show,beautifully presented. A friend of mine knows the man who owned it until David bought it and he spent a fortune restoring it. If anyone wants a good Martian ring David at Crouch recovery as it wont hang around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Those were taken about 14 years ago when I first got it, it's had 3 homes since then and still not got round to finishing it.Got to try and keep it original as much as i can.Anyone know where I can get the canvas for the rear? That is the only major bit I am missing, everything else is just rusty! Vehicle number is 44BM75, chassis number is 538276.

• 4 weeks later...