Leyland Martian Gallery

Front axle and transfer box are very similar to thornycroft nubian fire engine permanant 4x4 with air accuated diff lock in transfer box . Anyone got a spare motor panels cab Guy big j .Seddon 16/4 as cab on HLU428K is more holes than cab cannot start any restoration work until donor cab is found

holmes-invader1.jpg

holmes-invader2.jpg

A few more Invader shots, showing the cab..

Edited by antarmike

Here's a nice one going through the wheel wash on departure from Rougham last year. I turned up at 1pm as this was (one of the last vehicles still there) was leaving. What a lot of heartache for the organisers........

Martian.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

Hi Doughty at Canford Park 2008 - you would not believe to scenic route taken to reach the rally, in the end he had to be retrieved before he reached Brighton :rofl:

Much happier times for Bob and Doughty. Given Paul Stunts Crusader a lift:)

img051.jpg

The Artillery tractor went to a guy called Eddie Bennet who was the keeper of Swanage Pier, the last time I saw it was when I drove it to Hilton Park services on the M6 to meet Eddie who then paid me and carried on down to Swanage in about 1987. Eddie had not even seen the truck, he bought it on my word, asked me to brim the tank (100 gallons of petrol) and said he would pay for the truck and the fuel when we met ! Trusting Times !!!

John.

The Artillery tractor went to a guy called Eddie Bennet who was the keeper of Swanage Pier, the last time I saw it was when I drove it to Hilton Park services on the M6 to meet Eddie who then paid me and carried on down to Swanage in about 1987. Eddie had not even seen the truck, he bought it on my word, asked me to brim the tank (100 gallons of petrol) and said he would pay for the truck and the fuel when we met ! Trusting Times !!!

John.

Fuel was about a third the price back then though!

My old Martian Artillery Tractor on an off road day.

Nice pix antar, that reminded me of my first introduction to the very desirable Martian Artillery Tractor, which was was climbing inside one that had been sunk in a big wet hole on Slab Common for recovery training, sitting at the wheel and imagining what it would be like to own one. This started a train of thought that has led to many years of fun!

Nice pix antar, that reminded me of my first introduction to the very desirable Martian Artillery Tractor, which was was climbing inside one that had been sunk in a big wet hole on Slab Common for recovery training, sitting at the wheel and imagining what it would be like to own one. This started a train of thought that has led to many years of fun!

My first introduction to MV's was an Austin Champ and from their they just got bigger and heavier, driving the Artillery Tractor was great as you had the 12 seat cab. We used to go to off road events and shows with a full cab, everybody chipped in for the fuel so the 4mpg was like doing 48mpg !!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Whos bright idea was it to try to cross the football field......... I bet someone got their ears chewed for that one. :nono: :n00b:

the chap who runed the show. but the football club got greedy and took it over that year and dident have a clue:-D

• 5 weeks later...
Sorry mike unipower slipped my mind as did Scammell crusader eka . Unipower hannibal . thames trader tipper . dodge w1500 4x4 (ex u.s.a.f) . Bedford T.M w/winch .Scammell S24 6x4 tractor unit. cannot think of anything else at the minute will have a look around yard at weekend !!!!!

Another vehicle slipped your mind Ben??

rushden2009002.jpg

From the way you were whizzing round that field, I would say it was faster too!

The steering is a lot easier on the arms :sweat:,the brakes are more responsive,its about equal in its off road ability,the only bad point is you can get done for speeding in a 30 limit:stop:

• 2 weeks later...