Leyland Martian Gallery

The not-so-pleasant side of recovery work :-(

Or lorry driving.

Tacr2man, got any more pix where the driver doesn't come such a cropper ? Quite a few of us on here are lorry drivers who see

more than our share of death and injury on the roads every day. Any 'photos of your wonderful Martian attending breakdowns where the lorry driver ended up making loads of overtime rather than ending up dead ? Thanks.

I think this one was back in about 87 , the double decker was coming from Upper Heyford USAFB,as it came out past the end of a wood a gust of wind blew it into the ditch , no one was injured at all this time :yay:

The first pic shows the replacement bus picking up the passengers , the 2nd shows the bus after recovery with the martian in the background having just winched it out and returned to the same side of the road as the bus. This day got very busy . A bedford pantech blew over on the A43 near where the cherwell services would be , tipped it back up and all it had done was break the passenger door mirror , not even a dent , amazing. Then a mobile home transporter blew over on the A41, blocking the road . While I was recovering that , a 71/2 tonner took a short cut across the grass on the inside of this large sweeping bend . Three other trucks followed it, all went down to the axles. Made a few bob that day:beer::tup::

busuhditch.jpg

ddkrrecuh.jpg

no one was injured at all this time :yay:

Oh good. I actually feel very safe out on the road but when I'm stationary for hours in a queue, often at 03:30 in the morning on the M25, while the emergency services and someone like you, doing the recovery, sorts out the mess I sit there in the dark and think about some copper having to tell somebody's mum that......well you know, it's all very sad.

As an aside - I nearly caused a major incident on the M25....

I'd been down as a passenger with a slidebed Bedford 16T to collect my Chev M6 bomb service truck from Maidstone. It had a replica 500lb bomb on the back which we thought was secure.

Some way around the M25 I glanced behind to see it dangling off the side of the M6 and I persuaded the driver to pull onto the hard shoulder so we could secure it properly.

Good job we noticed - even if it did not cause a prang, the consequences of a "bomb" sitting in the carriageway, and someone reporting it to the police, well......:shake: :whistle:

Yeah I know the feeling Tony ! Nothing worse than watching something start moving on the back in three lane traffic ! I think I spend more time watching the load in my mirrors than where I'm going sometimes ! A chap I know used to say "will I get away with one strap there ?" My reply is always "You can't put more straps on after its fell off and killed someone can you ?"

The first pic I was in the red landrover stage1 v8 and it had not long happened , most of the passengers were oap's when we asked if anyone was hurt or shocked etc They all said it was all quite exciting , such a different attitude to the now generation who would want name and address of who they could sue .

I had to recover another of these busses out of a ditch about a mile from this location. It was winter time and I was in that LR SW (which was also licencsed private hire) having taken a customer home as normal cars could not get thru. I came across a side road closed sign , but could see orange beacons flashing down that road , so decided to go have a look .

It was blizzard conditions , and there was a double decker in the ditch about 3foot down but upright. The bus company wrecker was there but ahd been unable to get it out and was now trying to get out itself due to drifting . just past the bus was a line of cars with occupants also all snowed in . I asked the bus recovery crew if they wanted a tow out, they said was I joking pointing at the landy. Anyway i said I had something that could get them out , they agreed on a no cure no fee basis.

I went and got the martian with the snow plow on the front , and came into the other end of the road, plowed past the cars and bus(about 4ft deep) , and pulled their wrecker out as I went by. They then decided that the bus could stay there till morning as they had enough and it was about 23:00 hrs. I turned round went back and towed the cars out.

Next morning met them plowed the road again , but due to narrow road could not get enough of an angle on to pull it out so . went upto crossroads and into ploughed field 6WD across field , backed up to hedge and winched bus up ditch sideways . Thats when you want a slow winch

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help.

My friend Bob owns Doughty XSU765 on page one of this thread

He had a cab fire yesterday. He is looking for a picture of a Martian in similar condition with a price as proof of value for his insurance.

He will also be looking for parts and advice on the best way to put the damage right. To say he is completely gutted would be an understatement. :(

Any help any of you guys could offer would be greatfully received and passed on. Thank you.:)

Very sorry to hear of your friends fire Thor ! When I visited Jacksons of Morpeth's (Northumberland) yard last year they had a Martian recovery that they thought would be broken up shortly ! May have a cab and bits if they have not broken it yet ! G K Jackson & Sons (Recovery Services) Ltd.

Priestbridge, Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61 3DG

01670 787393

Can anyone help.

He had a cab fire yesterday. He is looking for a picture of a Martian in similar condition with a price as proof of value for his insurance.

He will also be looking for parts and advice on the best way to put the damage right. To say he is completely gutted would be an understatement. :(

Any help any of you guys could offer would be greatfully received and passed on. Thank you.:)

A picture of happier times ! Really am sorry to hear this great old survivor has been damaged ! Hope it all gets repaired ASAP and I can see her at this years GDSF !

DSC04512.jpg

DSC04509.jpg

Can anyone help.

Bob phoned me today, He has been advised not to go the insurance route, as insurance companies now, as a matter of policy, write off all claims involving fire, because of the the potentially hazardous remains that are present after a fire. Bob is thinking that to get the Martian back on the road, he will have to repair it hiomself and bear the cost. He is desperate for an FV style dash and instruments, as this is the hardest part to source.

Bob was welding in the cab, but his house phone rang, he went indoors for 15 minutes to answer the call, and came out to find the fire, (which also claimed two angle grinders and a Mig Welder).

Bob now wants parts rather than photo's and valuations.

Can anyone help.

Hi everyone - many thanks for all your messages:) I have passed the details onto Bob tonight-in typical Bob fashion when I spoke to him earlier today he was already starting to rip out all the fire damaged material. We will post any further requests for bits or advice as he needs them :-D

Thanks again everyone-he is determined to be out for the start of the season.

A lesson for us all - do not answer phone when welding or leave for a cup of tea !!!!! :). If we get pictures of damage we will post them !

He is desperate for an FV style dash and instruments, as this is the hardest part to source.

Mike,

The FV instrument panel was standard item I think, just checked the Martian list against Humber 1 ton and they are same part number, the switchboards are much the same, there are minor differences in their appearance, but functionally they are the same. With Ferret, Saracen, Champ, etc all sharing the same items there are spares around.

He is desperate for an FV style dash and instruments, as this is the hardest part to source.

If we mean the combined speedo/rev counter that was in everything from the Champ to the Scammell I don't think that will be hard to source. NOS may be possible......I'm hoping to know by tomorrow evening.

Getting a good used one would be NO problem at all. There is no reason why this unfortunate Martian shouldn't be back as it was very soon.

What else is needed ?

Windscreen wiper motors ?

Gear/winch lever knobs ?

Steering wheel ?

Rubber mouldings around windows ?

Obviously, windscreens, side windows and seats can all be remade.

Any chance of a proper list of all the parts required to get this lorry back on the road ?

Bobs Leyland Martian Fire - the photos - please note this may not be suitable to anyone with a sensitive disposition, heart problems etc.:shocked:

As you can see he has not done a half hearted job !!

Bob has had a contact of Richard Bannister for some parts but cannot find his website anywhere. Do any of you know this man, are him or know how we can contact him - Thanks :cool2:

There is also a picture of the main winch gear box that one of the castings has broke on. Not sure which one but does anyone have any ideas on parts !!:)

Thanks for all your help

Photo0008[1].jpg

Photo0010[1].jpg

Photo0011[1].jpg

Photo0007.jpg