Leyland Martian Gallery

Just a little bit of advice , it greatly extends the life of thre transfer box if you put it in neutral and put the main box in gear and run for a while to get the oil pumped round before driving off especially in cold weather , I was given this tip after having to replace the trans box on mine. :embarrassed:

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing the old Leyland recoverys brings back memories,mainly with 19 TNK TRNSP WKSP.we did somethings with them which quote they are not designed for that,eg. towing a ANTAR fully ballasted up the hill from Abagavenny to Crickowell (38 ton) 1st gear low ratio 6 wheel drive ,putting out all the legs including the big ones on the side, double sheaf pully block strain gauge fitted lifted the back of ballast antar up to deck level 32 ton I think the man from FVRDsaid also tested rear suspend dummy axle on Antar. We also transformed a recovery Leyland into a 3 man sleeper to be changed back to a working wagon within 3 minutes. Oh we did some recovery jobs with them as well!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Could someone indulge my curiosity regarding the drive train on the Martian, please?

I think I read in this thread a mention of permanent 4 wheel drive, but that may have been in respect of another vehicle (Unipower) that was being discussed.

Does the Martian have effectively the same rear drive as the Scammells, with walking beam bogie and locked 4 wheel drive, or is there some kind of inter-axle diff fitted?

Peter

Thats correct.

What I should have said, was walking beams like the Pioneer and Explorer

That's OK, I have been through all the galleries now and absorbed most of the detail, did Leyland copy the Scammell design, or was it just their own? Scammell ended up in the same group eventually, so there was a big blurring of identities as I see it.

Sorry to ask so many questions!

Peter

It was a similar design the casings carrying the gear trains to each hub and wheel were somewhat bigger. The fundamental difference was that the single axle on the Scammell one was a worm and wheel drive whereas the Leyland one was a crownwheel and pinnion set up.

Peter, to answer your earlier question, there was no way of locking the axle diff on either the Scammell or Leyland rear bogie. Each gear case drove the wheels at the same speed so it was prudent to use tyres with similar diameters on each side i.e. if you were fitting 2 new tyres then fit them to the same gear case.

The Martian front axle is also quite unique in that it is a portal design in which the centre of the diff is above the centre of the hubs with the drive being transferred via bevel gears in line with the king pins. Again as with the Scammell there is no lockable diff.

Mike

Thanks, Mike, I was trying to settle on what was and what wasn't available on the different transmission.

Of the Scammell and Leyland variants, the Martian is possibly the most attractive in mechanical and visual terms, but needs something doing to the engine to make it a workable proposition. LPG is one option, but I'd be looking at a decent diesel if I was in the market.

If it had a commercial gearbox that would take the power and torque, then a Cummins NH or something of that ilk would be good, 220bhp and loads of torque.

On the other hand, if you were just running out to shows etc., then the B81 with LPG might well be OK.

Peter

The problem with fitting a diesel is that the B81 revs to 3750 and even the smaller diesels are only fuel efficient up to about 1900rpm which rather limits your top speed. The B81 is very inefficient as it is a side exhaust/overhead inlet, about 6.5:1 compression which will give about 3.5mpg on a 14 ton cargo or gun tractor, less on a 23 ton recovery.