Last L.S.T. at Pounds Yard

R Cubed

Just going through a few old snaps and here is one of Rame Head...ring any bells?

Thought you might also enjoy seeing these ones of gunboats/RAF boats, had to take photograph of photograph so not very good copies.

I have taken thousands of pictures of warships as that was my main hobby a few years ago since the late seventies. Now working in Fort Blockhouse Gosport I am in the ideal position for seeing the ships entering and leaving.

There was always a RAF launch just by the M27 hamble river bridge but it seems to have gone...any ideas where? Also is the E-boat still around that was at the power boat museum in Southampton, their open day was my first ever military vehicle outing in the jeep and their last I think!

CIMG4993.jpg

CIMG4996.jpg

CIMG4995.jpg

CIMG4994.jpg

CIMG4992.jpg

CIMG4991.jpg

CIMG4990.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Some great shots there,festival of the sea was it 98 was good.MTB 102 originaly with the scouts in Norfolk.I havnt seen them for a while but donated a Packhard w/shop manual and original binos to them.great bunch.Winston Churchill went to the beaches on this boat i believe.Last i heard of the E boat it was being looked after by the military at Marchwood,after the collapse of MPBT.The RAF boat we visited some years ago with a view to purchase,but decided against it.Its sister ship is at Hendon Museum .dont know where its gone.

RAFHENDON2030.jpg

The black gas turbine boat,was at haslar then gunwharf,now dissapered.wasnt it the only private boat of that class.was it Brave class,or Gay class?

The other 102 and i think 206 0wned by the same man as MGB 81 unless now sold.

This boats is called BRAVE CHALLENGER. I believe she is the ex HMS BRAVE BORDERER as the sister BRAVE SWORDSMAN was scrapped at pounds. By chance I was heading into Southampton a coulpe of weeks ago and as you go over the bridge by the old Meridian TV studios you can see it moored up on the quayside to the left

www.bravechallenger.co.uk

Edited by BIGREDONE

Thats a shame its moved i liked to see it about,who wouldnt,The closest we got to owning anything like this was ex Swedish Nasty Class.

Are decomissioned ships replaced due to age or are you going to use Tri-reems and rowing sailors?

In our country we get new ships every 20 years or so.

Hi,

Normally we spend billions on research and development then take twenty years to build the thing (ship or aircraft) then it is out of date so we sell it to another country for a loss who then goes to war with us (thats Great Britain not the US)!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This boats is called BRAVE CHALLENGER. I believe she is the ex HMS BRAVE BORDERER as the sister BRAVE SWORDSMAN was scrapped at pounds. By chance I was heading into Southampton a coulpe of weeks ago and as you go over the bridge by the old Meridian TV studios you can see it moored up on the quayside to the left

www.bravechallenger.co.uk

nope sorry private build based on Brave Class Hull and engines

Brave Challenger was built at Vosper as a high speed yacht for Stavros Niarchos in about 1960. Her original name was Mercury. She was sold some years later to an Italian named Roberto Memmo who eventually sold her to Wensley Hayden Bailey. It was Hayden Bailey who changed her name to Brave Challenger. She is still to be seen in Portsmouth harbour some times at Gunwharf and sometimes at Gosport. Her design was based on the "Brave Class" and like them powered by 3 Proteus. She has achieved speeds of 60 knots and perhaps plus.

Fine looking boat though....want it..

now where's that lottery ticket i lost down the back of the sofa ?:cool2:

• 1 month later...