Scammell Commander Gallery

Hi Chaps,

The Commander at Aldershot has gone. Currently there is an AEC Mandator (I think) in it's place.

I found this forum while trying to find out the whereabouts of the Gale Barracks machine, and so far, no trace.

Going back a few years, the MVEE at Chobham had a clearance auction when it closed down. I was suprised to see amongst the lots were;

A Scammell Crusader 6x4 5th wheel tractor.

A Scammell Crusader 6x4 5th wheel tractor c/w lowloader semi-trailer loaded with crates containing a complete set of spare wheels and tyres, and a spare engine.

A Scammell Commander 6x4 5th wheel tractor c/w lowloader semi-trailer loaded with crates containing a complete set of spare wheels and tyres, and a spare engine.

Don't ask me what they made pricewise, it was too long ago, but that would suggest at least one in private ownership, and unless the prototype was retro-fitted with production grill/bonnet, this wasn't it.

Rob.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chaps,

The Commander at Aldershot has gone. Currently there is an AEC Mandator (I think) in it's place.

I found this forum while trying to find out the whereabouts of the Gale Barracks machine, and so far, no trace.

Going back a few years, the MVEE at Chobham had a clearance auction when it closed down. I was suprised to see amongst the lots were;

A Scammell Crusader 6x4 5th wheel tractor.

A Scammell Crusader 6x4 5th wheel tractor c/w lowloader semi-trailer loaded with crates containing a complete set of spare wheels and tyres, and a spare engine.

A Scammell Commander 6x4 5th wheel tractor c/w lowloader semi-trailer loaded with crates containing a complete set of spare wheels and tyres, and a spare engine.

Don't ask me what they made pricewise, it was too long ago, but that would suggest at least one in private ownership, and unless the prototype was retro-fitted with production grill/bonnet, this wasn't it.

Rob.

the crusaders were amazons of which we had the one with dyson trailer in the Reme museum,don,t no were the other one went

Hi,

I was at Bulford a couple of weeks ago.

'Commander' on gate duty didn't look anything like the 52KB85 pics. This one is in flat green with a ballast box in back-up vehicle form and Pte.J.Henderson written in large letters on the bonnet side. Think it was either 52KB83 or 93.

Distance is an object, eyes aren't getting any better as age progresses!

Could this be the Aldershot one as WM takes possession of '85? It didn't look in great condition.

Hopefully, next one on the Army's renovation list.

BW, Mike.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Point of info, the Scammell Commander that was the gate guardian at Buller Bks which left a few months ago returned today on low loader looking all very shiny!

Brought on a low-loader with a Foden tractor unit that looked suspiciously like a ex mil one. I think it was a 4000 series unit.

Point of info, the Scammell Commander that was the gate guardian at Buller Bks which left a few months ago returned today on low loader looking all very shiny!

Brought on a low-loader with a Foden tractor unit that looked suspiciously like a ex mil one. I think it was a 4000 series unit.

Picture ?

Now this is what I call a convoy ! :shocked::-D Something went wrong...

just like a good day at Barnbow. When the Commanders turned up it meant vehicle deliveries = money! Invariably 3 commanders with trailers on one of these would be the "spare" commander .... and don't those CV12s sound sweet!

• 5 months later...

Hi Robin , I was surprised to see them ! As I understand it they are still owned by the military and displayed by volunteers ! :D Unfortunately I only saw them move as they left the arena and they didn't move again that day ! I have a little bit of film here ! Something went wrong...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...