Scammell Commander Gallery

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Favourite, the Thornycroft Mighty Antar mark 4 ( or as Scammell chose to call it , the Scammell Commander)

Larglely designed by the Thornycroft design team resposnsible for the Antar, and projected to be called the Antar Mk4 until Scammell got involved....

Here are some pics snapped at a special 'Scammell Register' day at Bulford Camp afew years back - ISTR the first of the Seddon Atkinson Crusader replacements had just arrived.

We were not to be trusted with a loaded trailer (yes, we all got to have a drive!!).

The servicing bay was a sight - and work was not limited to routine stuff - some pretty serious repairs were being undertaken there.

One Commander was used as ballast to give the Crusader a bit of work do (well it stopped the trailer bouncing about anyway). I don't remember having a drive of that - note the unsuspecting Mario about to be placed on a Charge by the fast approaching NCO for having his hands in his pockets on the Parade ground....sacre bleu!

Commander01.jpg

Commander02.jpg

Commander03.jpg

This one runs and drives Andy, and is cared for by an enthusiastic member of the British Army.

Without these enthusiastic soldiers a lot of stuff would have gone by now. At the time of the Scamell Register visit the Diamond T 'Old Joe' and the Antar were also made available for driving - do you know if they are still at Bulford, and still runners, ekawrecker?

They were both there, the Antar was undergoing some repainting and some filler work had been done. The Diamond T looked complete, but neither were running.

Thanks, underlift! The Antar was getting a bit delicate around the cab back then, so good that they are titivating her up a bit.

I was at the recent visit to Bulford camp too (as well as the Scammell register visit some years ago) it was good to get a drive of the Commander although without the trailer the gearbox (semi automatic) was quite jerky in operation.

The Antar and Diamond T although said to be runners were both looking fairly sorry for themselves, the Diamond T looked rather "static" and had accumulated a few layers of paint whilst sat outside as an ormanment. Underneath the cab is looking pretty rough.

The Antar looked to be stored indoors or at least sheeted down but the repair work was appartently not a high priority and seemed a little half hearted. Hopefully they will get some proper tlc in the future.

Hats off to the guy (can't remember his name) who was overseeing the Commander, he was there in his own time to demonstrate and let us drive the Scammell. He was very keen on preserving it which is good news indeed.

I have a picture of both Antar and Diamond T but haven't got them on the computer yet, will post them when I do.

Regards, Ed

Also on the Commander front I was up at the old Leyland trucks testing facility a couple of years back (which now operates as an independant test facility for testing vehicles/plant etc) and got chatting about old trucks to a guy in the workshop. Next day he came in with an original SCAMMELL badge from the front of a Commander which he was given by someone in the Scammell factory at Watford! Just need a Commander now to put it on!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Just had a request for a late entry to GDSF heavy Haulage playpen. From a chap in Wiltshire with a Commander.

The only Commander I am aware of in private hands in UK is the prototype that was sold off many years ago. Does anyone know of a Commander in private Ownership, who can fill in any history, or the chain of ownership that now finds it in Pewsey?

Just had a request for a late entry to GDSF heavy Haulage playpen. From a chap in Wiltshire with a Commander.

The only Commander I am aware of in private hands in UK is the prototype that was sold off many years ago. Does anyone know of a Commander in private Ownership, who can fill in any history, or the chain of ownership that now finds it in Pewsey?

Looking forward to having a look around that mate ! :-D