Recovery and Towing

Tony B

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Check out the photo sequence - Volvo tumbling in 6 uses same main picture as 3 (note position of ditched truck, parked cars and position of onlookers in white shirts between Volvo and buildings).

Funnily enough when the pics did the rounds before I never noticed this!

It was in Ireland, and I have the circumstances of the accident from a colleague of the guy involved. The Ford did go in, but the Volvo going in after it is a photoshop.

If you look at the full sequence closely it's obvious what caused the Ford to go in. As I was told it, the Cargo operator's mind wasn't wholly on the job that day for understandable reasons - a warning that any equipment can bite and you do need to be on the ball even when doing what seems a quite simple job.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What on earth was he thinking of, he had done the difficult bit then ran out of movement on the main lifting strop due to poor rigging and decided to use a low level pull which raised the rear of the recovery and caused it to slide back.

Cement mixer LoL , it is a concrete mixer , unless some chemical extender used , that I doubt . If he had a load then by now it will be set solid - so his C of G now will make the job even harder. Knowing the situation , it seems to me a worth the risk chance to get close into the hotel with the recovery truck rather than wait for more complex heavy crane to lift clear rather than topple. Seems the tarmac was wet and yet he was totally reliant on rubber / tarmac brake friction ,,