Recovery and Towing

Tony B

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the flange is that wide then it bolts onto the hub i am 99 % sure its to aid righting a double decker. As for construction is it 6 inch channel through the center what the shackle is attatched to i admit the flimsy strips arnt doing a lot

Edited by cosrec

It's identical to the one in the first column, fifth row (JGM 853F).

They both belonged to Central Scotland busses then mine was owned by Dallas Recovery, was in the Beith Transport Museum and then a field. I'll post pictures when I get the thing home.

Where's Grasshopper when you need his knowledge? :)

Been off line (and on holiday) for a week with a failed laptop and failed work phone, quite enjoyed it really!

Having worked on (and recovered) buses and owned ex-bus company Matadors, my thinking is that the device does attach to a rear axle end but would be used for dragging a righted vehicle sideways or backwards (ie one in a ditch or field). There are no suitable points to attach a winch or recovery cable to on the side or rear of a bus of the period as the bodywork would be in the way. The only real access for attachment would have been the front end; no good if the vehicle is nose-first into a field!

For righting an overturned bus a beam of some considerable length would be required (as illustrated in the picture shown earlier in this thread).

• 2 weeks later...
Hi i have a very nice brochure about EKA recovery gear i think may be of interest

How can i paste it in or put a link to it its in PDF format on my computer and not available on line

If it's too big to upload to the forum email it to me lee@hmvf.co.uk & I will upload it to the forum for you..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80672[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80673[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80674[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80675[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80676[/ATTACH]

found images lurking on my computer

Edited by cosrec

• 2 weeks later...

so easy to laugh now and so easy to forget, but arent these trucks auto, shouldnt it have stayed put without the handbrake on...wonder why it did actually move...can only think it must have been left in neutral and without the handbrake on, or the handbrake was not working, could also have come off the hitch, we dont see that bit, perhpas it was not properly attached to the truck...shame we dont get more,...

... AEC double decker bus recovery

[video=youtube;ox-57JMI2eM]

Great film, very evocative!

Impressive traffic queue behind the recovery vehicle and casualty when the journey home started, also I have to wonder also why the banksman towards the end is wearing gumboots and a raincoat on a sunny day.

The truck and trailer in post 862 is a very common set up over here in North America. We have run several versions like this.

The truck towing the trailer is quite likely an automatic. In the driving culture over here it is often noticed that drivers do not engage what most Europeans would call the parking brake but is referred to over here as the emergency brake. It is a foot operated pedal affair and invariably is not used as drivers rely on the transmission to hold the vehicle, it does not lock the vehicle right up.

This is what I would suggest happened and then the vehicle had some movement.

The truck attempting to load to the trailer was likely not going to make it because of the break over angle of the trailer deck versus the angle possible with the running boards fitted to the truck. This may also explain why they have the ramps on higher ground, trying to raise the back end.

Add to that these trailers have a spring mounted on the pivot bar for the ramps to help you lift the ramps to stow them which is why they popped up under the truck body so easily after the front wheels go onto the trailer

I have seen cars grounded out on these types of trailers because of the break over angle.

I think they were doomed from the start.

My 2 cents worth

R

Edited by robin craig

• 3 weeks later...
Check this out another vehicle aimed at military buyers using standard civilian equipment with a few mods. Makes a very versatile piece of recovery gear. Be a long time before i can afford one from the auctions.

Small wonder that first recovered MV went over the edge - wouldn't like to drive that round bends with such a short wheelbase.:D:D:D:D:blush:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81929[/ATTACH]