Motor gun boat hulls

Tony B

OK, I'll start. I remember years ago reading a book abut five Motor gun boat hulls that were built for clandestine runs to Swededn. Twq of the boats were named Hopewell and Nonesuch, the other three had historic names as well. The idea was similar to the BOAC operation of Mosquitos to neuteral countries. They ran at night to Sweden as that was the only scource of special tool steels and such additives as Molebdenium. does any one know A What the book was called and B Have any of them survived? The famous Shetland Bus also used civillian huls to run agents across and the use of Caiques was wide spread in the Med. There was also a class of Admiralty MFV's, I can think of Black shark that was in St Aubin's harbour for many years, does she still exist?

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I know of a Shetland bus that survives,i took my dayskipper exam on it,i have pics,it is not recognisable as a upper superstructure has been fitted.sadly now a live aboard on the thames,has a lovely Gardnar 8 fitted.

And just by chance i happen to know one of the skippers of a Swedish run boat (sadly no longer with us) his name .Cmdr Peter,Thorneycroft.Who just by chance designed and owned my (speed boat) which later was used by Vosper Thorneycroft

To test all sorts of shall we say equipment.Unfortuanetly the people involved (some i have met) are still under the OSA.:nono:

I knew Alan Buchan when I were lad. He lived in Jersey and had horses. Do you know if any of the Admiralty MFV's are left? Like most things I find a lot more fun mucking about with the working tools rather than the flashy great show wagons. Also had a sixteen foot Dory Boat built to NATO standards with a pair of 40 horse Johnson's on the back, that was fun. She was used as a saftey boat. For many years the States Tug was Duke of Normandy, she was an ex Dutch tug that had been brought over by the German's and kept. She has now been replaced by a modern vessel. I've got some pictures of Flak Lighters somewhere as well.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Will sort some pics out when i get back from playing with my speedboat(private joke).

You do see the odd one turn up for sale.ZULU CLASS.i just happen to know where one is being rebuilt by the navigator on my day skipper course.have pics.Shouldnt you of put this in the new NAVAL dpt.